Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Lots of media, 4 hard drives need a solution

I have four 2 tb drives that I want to use to store media and backup my computers.

What do you suggests I use? I tried a synology NAS but had a hard time creating partitions and then moving my iTunes and iPhoto library to the NAS.

Most of the media is my own but I would like to be able to access it from my iPad and from an Apple TV if I decide to purchase one later. I'd also like to share some media like certain movies and music to others.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:48 AM   #2
mrxak
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
I'm in kind of the same boat, I'm trying to clean things up, centralizing all my media in one place instead of scattered across numerous internal and external drives and computers, but I am fundamentally opposed to NAS (for my own use, not saying it's not the solution for you), because I already have a file server (my miniMac) and want to run everything through that with direct attached storage. The problem with NAS is you're basically buying a new computer, designed and optimized to share files on your local network. They simply don't have the flexibility of DAS with regards to the software and set-up of your file server. You're stuck with whatever OS it's running, and many seem to be black boxes.

I looked at Drobo, but Drobo has a reputation for being rather slow, and I'm not sure how it will do with media streaming. All the good solutions with similar features to Drobo seem to be NAS (in particular, I like the capabilities of unRAID), which is what I'm trying to avoid. It seems I'm stuck setting up a RAID 5 in a boring old stack of hard drives, which I'll have to manage carefully.
__________________
Phones Will Kill You
mrxak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
I've been using ReadyNAS units for some years. Very dependable and easy to upgrade/change drives.
If you can afford it I suggest you look at the 6 drive version (you don't have to put 6 drives in it). See : http://www.readynas.com/?cat=88.

There is a section on the forum just for OSX including use as Time machine.. See : http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewfo...bd7597dffdbfb0.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I have four 2 tb drives that I want to use to store media and backup my computers.

What do you suggests I use? I tried a synology NAS but had a hard time creating partitions and then moving my iTunes and iPhoto library to the NAS.

Most of the media is my own but I would like to be able to access it from my iPad and from an Apple TV if I decide to purchase one later. I'd also like to share some media like certain movies and music to others.
I am right there with you, ideally what I would like is a 4 bay thunderbolt carrier, that does not do hardware raid, I just want my drives to pop in and show up in finder oh and for under $500.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:00 PM   #5
kgeier82
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Media sonic makes a nice enclosure. I bought the USB 3 version last week for 100 on amazon. 4 drives.
kgeier82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:01 PM   #6
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
Media sonic makes a nice enclosure. I bought the USB 3 version last week for 100 on amazon. 4 drives.
USB IS TOO SLOW , no USB3 support on mac
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
Media sonic makes a nice enclosure. I bought the USB 3 version last week for 100 on amazon. 4 drives.
Would I be able to partition it to have a time machine backup for 2 computers and a partition to stream all my media?

Would I be able to access that data from my iPad?
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:02 AM   #8
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Any ideas? I still havent found a solution.
I found a nice 2 bay and a 4 bay firewire enclosure, good speeds from it.
jmcgeejr is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:25 AM   #9
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
I found a nice 2 bay and a 4 bay firewire enclosure, good speeds from it.
Which one?
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:27 AM   #10
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Which one?
the DataTale 4-Bay FireWire 800, I get about 60MB/s with firewire 800 on it.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:16 AM   #11
rscott4563
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cumbria
I was in exactly the same situation as the OP, I had a total of 5 external FW400/800 drives totalling 6TB with DVD rips, iTunes, TimeMachine, etc...

I solved it all with a Synology DS410+, not sure what issues you had with yours but I couldn't imagine anything easier to use and I now use it for everything on my home network (streaming, iTunes, photos, TimeMachine, Synology's own Cloud etc..), the new DSM 4.0 is really easy to use.
__________________
15" rMBP 2.6Ghz i7 16GB Ram 512GB SSD
6TB Synology DS410, 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad Gen4, ATV2
rscott4563 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:38 AM   #12
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott4563 View Post
I was in exactly the same situation as the OP, I had a total of 5 external FW400/800 drives totalling 6TB with DVD rips, iTunes, TimeMachine, etc...

I solved it all with a Synology DS410+, not sure what issues you had with yours but I couldn't imagine anything easier to use and I now use it for everything on my home network (streaming, iTunes, photos, TimeMachine, Synology's own Cloud etc..), the new DSM 4.0 is really easy to use.
I was unable to move my photo library and iTunes library to the NAS. I didn't have lots of time to play with it. I couldn't figure it out during the return period so I decided to return the NAS. If I can figure out how to backup two computers and store all of my media on a NAS then I will reconsider.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:40 AM   #13
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I was unable to move my photo library and iTunes library to the NAS. I didn't have lots of time to play with it. I couldn't figure it out during the return period so I decided to return the NAS. If I can figure out how to backup two computers and store all of my media on a NAS then I will reconsider.
i pondered a nas but found a das was more to my liking.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 AM   #14
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
i pondered a nas but found a das was more to my liking.
Do you know of a DAS that fits my needs?
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:49 AM   #15
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Do you know of a DAS that fits my needs?
I went with the das I sent in the previous message.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:23 PM   #16
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
i pondered a nas but found a das was more to my liking.
Like you, I prefer a DAS for any active data, including iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture 3, etc libraries. My main reason for preferring DAS is because that data can be added to my backup set. I have an inherent dislike of having primary data stored someplace that is difficult to back up. Right now, my preference is a Pegasus Thunderbolt array (R4 or R6).

OTOH... for a backup destination, I prefer a NAS. After trying several... I decided I prefer a Time Capsule. That will change if my actual backup data (plus revisions) fails to fit on a 3TB drive.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:17 PM   #17
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I have four 2 tb drives that I want to use to store media and backup my computers.

What do you suggests I use? I tried a synology NAS but had a hard time creating partitions and then moving my iTunes and iPhoto library to the NAS.

Most of the media is my own but I would like to be able to access it from my iPad and from an Apple TV if I decide to purchase one later. I'd also like to share some media like certain movies and music to others.
What is the price you are looking to spend?

I just purchased an QNAP NAS box. It is has been pretty easy to setup. I have it set for a RAID 5 which leaves me about 3TB worth of space. I have my iTunes library and iPhoto/Aperture library on it. Nothing to complain about yet.

Regarding the Synology NAS did you have it setup as JBOD or where you putting it in a certain RAID format?
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:53 PM   #18
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
What is the price you are looking to spend?

I just purchased an QNAP NAS box. It is has been pretty easy to setup. I have it set for a RAID 5 which leaves me about 3TB worth of space. I have my iTunes library and iPhoto/Aperture library on it. Nothing to complain about yet.

Regarding the Synology NAS did you have it setup as JBOD or where you putting it in a certain RAID format?
I can't remember which configuration i used for the NAS Box. I was looking for a 4 bay model no more then 500$. Everyone seemed to praise Synology. For whichever reason, it didnt work to my liking. I want to buy locally so I can return it with little hassle if needed.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #19
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I can't remember which configuration i used for the NAS Box. I was looking for a 4 bay model no more then 500$. Everyone seemed to praise Synology. For whichever reason, it didnt work to my liking. I want to buy locally so I can return it with little hassle if needed.
Are you looking for a device that is RAID configured and or NAS box or JBOD box? If you are looking for JBOD there are lots of enclosures out there.

Do you have any experience setting up a NAS box with permissions etc? The reason I ask, I am trying to figure out was was giving you diffuculty when you were trying to setup the NAS box.
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #20
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a
 
ljonesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kingsport TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
USB IS TOO SLOW , no USB3 support on mac
depending on what ur network and media bit rate is usb 2 is fine i for years streamed from usb 2 to my apple tv and my mom still does and we have no noticible lag

western digital mybook studio 2 and the thunderbolt models do a raid 0 which is simlar to jbod and raid 1
__________________
acer win 7 3.0ghz amd dc 4gb ram; mac mini late 09 2.53ghz 8 gb of ram now with 500gb hard drive; mid 2010 macbookpro 13 base model with 500gb 7200 hybrid drive in place of the 250
ljonesj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:41 PM   #21
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Are you looking for a device that is RAID configured and or NAS box or JBOD box? If you are looking for JBOD there are lots of enclosures out there.

Do you have any experience setting up a NAS box with permissions etc? The reason I ask, I am trying to figure out was was giving you diffuculty when you were trying to setup the NAS box.
I have no previous experience with setting up NAS.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:06 AM   #22
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I have no previous experience with setting up NAS.
Synology was probably the right solution for you, but since you had limited to no experience it was tough to get things working the way you wanted them.

Now we need to find out exactly what you are looking to do?

Setup a box with two drives that are mirrored and one drive is shared over the network?
Setup a box with two drives that are just that two drives and both drives shared over the network?

You mention partition? Do you mean just folders or are you actually looking to have "D", "E" etc drives? If so why?
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:24 AM   #23
AppleDApp
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Synology was probably the right solution for you, but since you had limited to no experience it was tough to get things working the way you wanted them.

Now we need to find out exactly what you are looking to do?

Setup a box with two drives that are mirrored and one drive is shared over the network?
Setup a box with two drives that are just that two drives and both drives shared over the network?

You mention partition? Do you mean just folders or are you actually looking to have "D", "E" etc drives? If so why?
First off, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I want a 4 bay enclosure for media storage and backup. I want it to be networked to backup 2 computers with time machine. I was thinking of creating partitions to separate the media and backup portion of the NAS. I'd like to be able to stream my media to the computers on my network, iPad, iPhone and possibly an apple TV if I decide to buy one. Synology NAS advertise a download station feature. I'd like to use utorrent to download everything to my NAS.

For my music, I use iTunes. Is it save to move the iTunes music folder to the NAS?

For movies, I prefer plex. Is there any issue in telling plex my video files are on the NAS?

That's all I can think of for now, I will update this post if I have other questions.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:45 AM   #24
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
First off, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I want a 4 bay enclosure for media storage and backup. I want it to be networked to backup 2 computers with time machine. I was thinking of creating partitions to separate the media and backup portion of the NAS. I'd like to be able to stream my media to the computers on my network, iPad, iPhone and possibly an apple TV if I decide to buy one. Synology NAS advertise a download station feature. I'd like to use utorrent to download everything to my NAS.

For my music, I use iTunes. Is it save to move the iTunes music folder to the NAS?

For movies, I prefer plex. Is there any issue in telling plex my video files are on the NAS?

That's all I can think of for now, I will update this post if I have other questions.
Plex works just fine wherever you keep your data, my suggestion is to keep plex server on your desktop and just map a drive over to where you want to keep your movies for plex.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:27 PM   #25
rhett7660
macrumors 604
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
First off, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I want a 4 bay enclosure for media storage and backup. I want it to be networked to backup 2 computers with time machine. I was thinking of creating partitions to separate the media and backup portion of the NAS. I'd like to be able to stream my media to the computers on my network, iPad, iPhone and possibly an apple TV if I decide to buy one. Synology NAS advertise a download station feature. I'd like to use utorrent to download everything to my NAS.

For my music, I use iTunes. Is it save to move the iTunes music folder to the NAS?

For movies, I prefer plex. Is there any issue in telling plex my video files are on the NAS?

That's all I can think of for now, I will update this post if I have other questions.
All of this can be done. I would stay away from the partition. Others might chime in but I would use folders and then back up those folders with your media/pictures/documents.

Folder 1: Media (this will be linked to the iTunes player on your desk tops etc and to plex (see above answer)) All your media will reside in here. Movies, Music, etc. Once this folder is setup, you will be able to access it via streaming for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch etc. You won't be able to load files via connection from your client computer though. You will need to either setup a local library with the media pointing to the folder or use a VPN solution to load files.
Folder 2: Photo's Photo's, this can reside within folder 1 if you want. This will be up to you.
Folder 3: Downloads I would use this to for your download section.

For TM, I would have a folder called TimeMachine. You can pick this folder from the TM interface on your Mac. If you want to keep them separated, Have TimeMachineUserName folder for each user. Then point the time machine to each folder. You could also use computer name if you want. I don't know your system setup etc.

The back up can be done several different ways. Four discs you can do a RAID 1->5. I have done a RAID 5. You can pick what files are important to back up off the NAS if you want. Most boxes come with some sort of back up utility built in. If not, there are plenty of free open source choices you can use, but I am guessing the Synology has there own and it lets you back up on day "X" at "Y" time. For your most critical files I would also have an attached USB hard drive to back up just those files. If you have a total of one gig, get a two gig or higher usb drive. Your files will expand especially over the next few years.

All of this should be able to be done from within the user interface of synology app whether it is web based or client based. I would stay away from the partitioning and just use folders. If you setup the disks in a raid format you will be able to hot swap a disk if it goes down.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External Hard Drive Suggestions rabsparks iMac 9 Dec 30, 2011 12:09 AM
Wanting to put stock Toshiba hard drive in OptiBay.. need to get those prongs off Sardukar MacBook Pro 5 May 14, 2011 10:08 AM
Picked up a 2.4GHz 20" that needs a little hard drive TLC; couple of questions iMpathetic iMac 5 Feb 5, 2011 10:17 PM
Hard Drive showing signs of failure rlav MacBook 4 Jan 8, 2011 01:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC