Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megsd212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I think I overloaded my Mac. A while ago, I started getting a notification telling me that my hard drive was full and to free up some space by deleting files. I kept clicking okay thinking I'd just delete some files later, but I finally downloaded a song and when I tried to restart my computer it wouldn't fully load.

I get a blue screen and the same notification telling me to delete files. The menu bar at the top doesn't show up initially, but when I press the play button, I get a notification saying that iTunes cannot be opened, and when i click play and drag the cursor up to the top, the menu bar appears. I can use the menu to get to recent items>safari.

Certain applications work, like safari and pages, but I can't open itunes or get my mac to recognize any external devices. I can't open finder, either, so I don't know how I can delete any files.

I even tried using the installer to restore my computer, but I didn't have any space left to install it.

Can anyone help?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Try booting in safe mode. Then delete some files to free up enough space to boot normally. Don't try to launch any apps but Finder, until you've freed up space.

megsd212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Thank you so much!! My mac is back to running like normal!

and I think I'll definitely start listening to the notifications….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.