Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I have a VZW iPad 3. Last night I was sitting on my porch and a list of available wireless networks popped up. Everything was normal except 1 of the options was "XXXX's iMac" (my iMac). I had never seen this before on any of my iOS devices. So I clicked it. When I did a window popped up asking me to make sure the # showing on my iPad screen was showing on my iMac screen. Which it was. I hit ok and it began to connect. When it connected the wifi bars at the top of my screen changed to 2 chain links, linked together. I checked my network connection and it was showing that I was connected to my home wifi, like normal, but in BT settings it also showed as connected to my iMac. For what purpose could I use this type of link? And what exactly is it? I could never do this on my iPad 2 or any of my iPhones. With my wife's Dinc2 I can send pics right from her phone to my Mac via Bluetooth. With my iPhone I can't.

So basically I am wondering what this connection is? And what purpose does it serve?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.