Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile analytics company Flurry reports that activation of new iOS and Android devices in China has surpassed the U.S. for the first time.

February, Flurry calculated that China surpassed the United States in monthly new iOS and Android device activations for the first time in history. China is now the world's fastest growing smart device market.
While the data shows combined iOS and Android data, it reflects the same audience of smartphone buyers. Apple has been making efforts to expand their presence in China. They even included a number of China-specific features in their upcoming Mountain Lion release.

In addition, reflective of the increase in activations, China was also the fastest growing country in app usage as measured by app session growth.

Article Link: China Surpasses U.S. iOS and Android Activations For First Time

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
A little tip for all Americans going forward ...

511z94kfm9l_ss500_.jpg

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
1st vs 2nd or 3rd

To the best of my knowledge, most users in China do not have desktop or laptop computers. They also do not have landline telephones.

Therefore, for many of these users, their Android Phone or iPhone is their sole computer. This is why Steve Jobs was so concerned about crushing Android, even if it meant using their entire stockpile of cash (now at $100 billion).

Today's battle over the phone/tablet is bigger than that waged by Microsoft in the early to mid 1990's. With open standards such as HTML on the front-end and XML on the back-end, its perfectly capable that neither platform will "win" with over 90% marketshare as Microsoft had done with the desktop. With the battle of the desktop, many developers refused to make software for the Mac. With smartphones and tablets, that is less likely to be the end result of either "losing" platform as web development apps works nearly everywhere.

Anyhow, to think that millions of Chinese users are using an iPhone as their sole computer is pretty amazing.

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
cripes

Even when you factor in China's massive poulation this statistic does not reflect well on the US's ailing economic power.

Good luck with your next election guys, if only there was a viable independent you might be able to vote for them. Barak has blown his chance and teh republicans will only make things worse.

Oops...

Go Apple!

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Today the Chinese activate more iOS devices... tomorrow the PLA march on Washington. Your empire is crumbling, America.

zxcvb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
This is funny, how do we live then.
well I am gonna turn off my 2 desktops and laptop and go to sleep now, it's bed time in China

To the best of my knowledge, most users in China do not have desktop or laptop computers. They also do not have landline telephones.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This isn't too surprising. IDC had predicted China would become the largest smartphone market in 2012. I guess this is just the sign that it really is 2012 already.

That said, we'll be seeing lots of this over the coming years (i.e. China becoming the world's largest market for "X"). It will be a sea change after 70 years of American consumer dominance, but it doesn't have to mean the end of American influence.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
They have more than 4 times the population. It isn't a huge surprise, especially with deals with ios devices with carriers and the government have been going through recently aswell.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Therefore, for many of these users, their Android Phone or iPhone is their sole computer. This is why Steve Jobs was so concerned about crushing Android, even if it meant using their entire stockpile of cash (now at $100 billion).

Today's battle over the phone/tablet is bigger than that waged by Microsoft in the early to mid 1990's. With open standards such as HTML on the front-end and XML on the back-end, its perfectly capable that neither platform will "win" with over 90% marketshare as Microsoft had done with the desktop. With the battle of the desktop, many developers refused to make software for the Mac. With smartphones and tablets, that is less likely to be the end result of either "losing" platform as web development apps works nearly everywhere.

Anyhow, to think that millions of Chinese users are using an iPhone as their sole computer is pretty amazing.

Almost everyone in the U.S. has been waiting for the past few months for the new iPad, so no surprise activations for iOS devices dropped during these few months.
Also, the U.S. may show less 'New Activations', as people here tend to upgrade their phone tablet while maintaining the same plan.
The launch of the new iPad did bring new activations but also existing Plans were grandfathered for many people, including me. Now my old iPad 3G is being used as WiFi only.
For China, they are just starting to get the iPhone and iPad, so there's no doubt that the initial activation numbers would break records at this time.
Therefore, this report, while interesting, it's not really objective.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
That's like saying new York city has more smartphones than backwoods west Virginia. In order to have sales you need consumers. An enormous population that is offered the same product as a smaller population will have higher sales...... Duh?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
That's like saying new York city has more smartphones than backwoods west Virginia. In order to have sales you need consumers. An enormous population that is offered the same product as a smaller population will have higher sales...... Duh?

Specially when it's the first time they have the iPhone and iPad available in their country. Big surge in activations, as expected.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted

EmpyreanUK said:
Today the Chinese activate more iOS devices... tomorrow the PLA march on Washington. Your empire is crumbling, America.

Crap! That's TOMORROW! I totally spaced on that. Better get out of town. My how time sneaks up on you!

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Along with China-specific features in their upcoming Mountain Lion release, Siri will also support Chinese Mandarin. Tim Cook has said China is their #1 focus for developing markets.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007

Yes, just like backwoods West Virginia had more smartphones than New York City until recently.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Keep in mind that they're barely off the starting blocks.

That has been said for so long, I think it is no longer a valid claim to make. Especially in light of the fact that the Chinese economy is starting to show signs of overheating, and that the change from quantity to quality production, which some claim is happening right now, will result in increased labour costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.