Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrendmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I just got a new iPad, and I have my iPhone set to my email address as my caller ID. I'm using the same email address (my Apple ID) for iMessage on both devices. However, when I send an iMessage from one device, it says "not delivered" on that device, and instead successfully delivers it through the other device. Sometimes it does not successfully deliver it at all. Shouldn't it sync as successfully delivered on both devices? Is this how it's supposed to work?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Try setting your iPhone iMessage default to your phone number, BUT make sure your email address is an alternate. This might take care of the situation.

Also, I've noticed that if I send the first iMessage to someone via my wifi-only iPad, it will show up on both my iPhone and iPad from then on. If I send a first one from my iPhone to another iPhone via phone number, it will only show up on the iPhone, not iPad, until I use the iPad to iMessage that person. Again, from that point on, the messages will show up on both, no matter which device is used. Love being able to iMessage with an iPad keyboard!

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
iMessages between multiple devices is suspect at best. I think how you are describing it is how it should (supposed) to work but it doesn't always work like that. I don't even bother using it on the iPad because of it's hacky nature.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Yeah. There's another thread going right now in this forum on the weirdness of iMessage with delayed or missing parts of conversations across multiple devices. Obviously, it has some strange quirks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.