Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
So this thread will focus more on the Incipio Feather Case and Smart Cover, and touch base a little with the Incase Origami Sleeve.

You can view my Incase Origami Sleeve + Smart cover review here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1344459/

So its here my Incipio Feather Case (Frost), this cover comes in various solid colors but I wanted it to be clear so that if I decide to add vinyls to the back it can be seen.

Simple packaging:
0fecf6a0.jpg

40c5e4e9.jpg

Contents, Case, Microfiber clothing (w/ embossed Incipio logo), Screen Protector, and Smoothie application card:
d2f93b68.jpg

Installed, It has a very nice texture on it. It is not just smooth clear plastic. I dont see this slipping out of my hands any time soon.:
34406c9a.jpg

Incipio claims it adds 1mm thickness to the iPad, I don't have any way to prove it but its pretty damn thin. A great addition for anyone who is interested in just using a smart cover.

775fcfdf.jpg

Iv'e seen other covers that work in conjunction to Apple's Smart Cover, and on the side of the cover that would normally be next to the smart cover magnetic hinge, is just a giant cut out.

This does not have that. It actually covers the smart cover hinge. (I'm not going to test this theory but it may be possible to hold the smart cover alone and it may not fall out like it would alone. Feel free to try this yourself and let me know ;))

83559036.jpg

7f7637ac.jpg

Oh Hey! It also work with my Incase Origami Sleeve + Smart Cover

d3f8eba9.jpg

And with the sleeve's viewing mode:

6c91e66c.jpg

It is very snug to put the ipad in with the smart cover + Incipio case because it has to much grip. But I still will be putting it in the origami for that cushioned protection for drops or putting it in a bag for transportation.

Overall, the Incipio back case for the 3rd Gen. iPad is amazing I would highly recommend anyone to pick one up if they are looking for a thin, simple, as naked as possible look for your iPad with full protection, Bonus points for having a screen protector that I wont be using haha, the Retina is to beautiful for that.

The left overs sitting on top of my iPad, I personally wont be using so they are going back into the box:
a8209c5c.jpg

Hope this was informative, feel free to ask any questions and ill try to answer them with pics as well!

JonLDavis

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
What about the lack of protection for the top and bottom? Did it bug you? Do you ever stand it up notebook style on a table?

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
What about the lack of protection for the top and bottom? Did it bug you? Do you ever stand it up notebook style on a table?

All corners of the ipad are covered, If was to set it on its bottom or its top or its side, they will touch the surface first before the actual iPad, notebook style as in using the smart cover? Yes it works perfectly.

SYale

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
California
Wow, thanks so much, this is EXACTLY the combination I wanted to have. I had one question though. At least for the iPad2 version of the Origami (according to Youtube videos), it looks like a really tight fit. Do you find it is sort of cumbersome to fold the top flap over the iPad? It looks like the coolest concept of a sleeve if it does work out though.

Again, thanks a lot!

JonLDavis

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
You can stand it up on its bottom if you fold it out? I used to have the old Ipad cover, I recently upgraded to the new Ipad, and after researching like crazy for the right case, I decided to go with an apple smart cover back with a light back cover. I think I prefer the smart cover to be securely attached to the back cover because I had my orginal ipad for a year and used it daily and hardly ever took it out if its case.

But my odd quirk is that I like to stand the ipad up, vertically, with cover unfolded to keep it balanced. It's a little precarious, but I like that at the kitchen table.

If you're saying that the uncovered top and bottom are exposed but protected, then I think I'm down.

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Im replying on my iPhone so it's hard to quote you guys but here's my best to answer,

I bought my incase cover from www.GoIncase.com

I believe I have the sleeve for the first gen iPad, with just the 3rd gen iPad alone it fits like a glove, with the smart cover it's slightly snug, with the smart cover plus incipio backing its pretty snug but still works, the upper flap still closes.

As for viewing the iPad with the incipio case and smart cover it still works perfect.

Also works well with the origami sleeve.

SYale

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
California
Wirelessly posted

Im replying on my iPhone so it's hard to quote you guys but here's my best to answer,

I bought my incase cover from http://www.GoIncase.com

I believe I have the sleeve for the first gen iPad, with just the 3rd gen iPad alone it fits like a glove, with the smart cover it's slightly snug, with the smart cover plus incipio backing its pretty snug but still works, the upper flap still closes.

As for viewing the iPad with the incipio case and smart cover it still works perfect.

Also works well with the origami sleeve.

Thanks for the reply. I know it sounds like beating a dead horse, but is it hard to take out (maybe because of the feather's material)? There isn't any way to take like a couple second video or pictures showing how snug or difficulty in taking out or putting in the iPad, is there? Anyway, thanks for the overall review!

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I know it sounds like beating a dead horse, but is it hard to take out (maybe because of the feather's material)? There isn't any way to take like a couple second video or pictures showing how snug or difficulty in taking out or putting in the iPad, is there? Anyway, thanks for the overall review!

It's really not to hard ill try to get a video up but I'm at work "/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Incipio claims it adds 1mm thickness to the iPad, I don't have any way to prove it but its pretty damn thin. A great addition for anyone who is interested in just using a smart cover.

So happy to hear about this. Procisely why I went with incipio.

Great and thorough review!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Plus you got me really liking the frost now. I ordered mine in red to match my red smart cover.

Is the frost completely clear?

Last edited:

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Thanks for sharing!

I had the Origami for my iPad 1. I feel the new iPad is way too loose.

I just ordered the black leather smart case and frost smart feather from MacMall. The smart cover should be here by the end of the week. Not sure when the smart feather will come since it is currently out of stock. This mini review really makes me excited that I got this combination. BTW, a leather Origami would really be the cat's meow for me. :D

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Wirelessly posted

onthecouchagain said:
Plus you got me really liking the frost now. I ordered mine in red to match my red smart cover.

Is the frost completely clear?

It is not 100% like clear plastic, it is well I don't know how to put it, "frosty" lol

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Hammie said:
Thanks for sharing!

I had the Origami for my iPad 1. I feel the new iPad is way too loose.

I just ordered the black leather smart case and frost smart feather from MacMall. The smart cover should be here by the end of the week. Not sure when the smart feather will come since it is currently out of stock. This mini review really makes me excited that I got this combination. BTW, a leather Origami would really be the cat's meow for me. :D

The leather would have sooooo many creases

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I like how the back covers the hinge. Mine is as you described with just a cutout. The smart cover comes detached every so often, I feel like this would help that issue.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Wirelessly posted

The leather would have sooooo many creases

But if it was the right kind of leather it would age perfectly and have no issue enduring that constant type of movement. If a design house like Hermes, Balenciaga, Guuci, or Bottega Veneta would put out a case like that, it would be gorgeous and perfect for me.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
I disagree that the top and bottom edges are protected by this back cover.

Consider a scenario in which you drop your iPad, and the surface directly beneath is either not flat or has an edge, such as the edge of a table top. Then the iPad would either hit the corner of the back cover and then the edge of the table, or hit the table first, and then land on the ground.

I would rather have a back cover that covered all the iPad's edges.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009

Consider a scenario in which you drop your iPad, and the surface directly beneath is either not flat or has an edge, such as the edge of a table top. Then the iPad would either hit the corner of the back cover and then the edge of the table, or hit the table first, and then land on the ground.

Does one exist that doesn't cover the bezel?

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
I don't know, I'm getting my first iPad in a week and then I'll be getting a back cover after that.

UseYourIllusion

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
I went for this combo for my new iPad, black leather smart cover and black smart feather. I specifically got this one because I am using an iPen with this and I like that the bottom was open enough to fit the iPen receiver without having to take it in and out of th case. I am very happy with the combo and simply put the iPad in a padded sleeve when I take it outside my apartment and go to school, otherwise it never goes outside. It fits perfectly, I like the slimness and feel. With my iPad 2 I had an Incase book jacket and I miss the extra folded orientations I could put the iPad in though but I'll take the trade off.

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012

Yes that is worst case scenario. But if it slipped from your hand as if you're reading a book, it would hit the corners first.

SYale

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
California
Sorry DFig if I wasn't clear with my request. I guess a really short video clip of you putting it in the case? If you can't, that's fine, just trying to truly see if I should end up getting the Origami case, because the concept is cool. :)

DFig619

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Wirelessly posted

SYale said:
Sorry DFig if I wasn't clear with my request. I guess a really short video clip of you putting it in the case? If you can't, that's fine, just trying to truly see if I should end up getting the Origami case, because the concept is cool. :)

It is snug, you do have to push it in with some force but it fits and holds well. I think only children will have problems putting the iPad in the sleeve lol

dgsdm

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
dfig, How is the fit with the sleeve without the smart feather and leather smart cover? Is it snug or loose? Perfect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.