Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
tomsa34
macrumors newbie

CPU emulation

Ok so no one uses the programming section so here goes. Is it possible to write an emulator for PPC to run Intel applications?
tomsa34 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

No. It has been tried, but it doesn't work well.

EDIT: and by well, I mean at all.
r.j.s is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Many have tried, none have been successful. The machine architecture makes it a very difficult emulation process.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
AQUADock
macrumors 6502a

It could be possible but to give you an idea of how slow it would be, try Q emulator and run windows 95 and see how slow it is even on a G5.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:47 PM   #5
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

I think your best bet would be an old version of VirtualPC.
The paid version let you run a windows VM on a PPC Mac.
minifridge1138 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
tomsa34
macrumors newbie

Interesting. I am actually taking some programming classes via iTunes U, so I am trying to set a goal for myself. I really would love to create something to bring life back into all these PPC machines that apple decided to make obsolete. I love my MDD and am in the process of picking up a G5 dual, dual core simply for this emulator. I know it is an ambitious project but I can dream right? If anyone has a G5 theyd be willing to let go cheap or donate I could really use it. Also if there are any more programmers with alot more experience that could kind of guide me that would be amazing! Just shoot me a PM if anyone is upto the challenge Game on Apple!
tomsa34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
smc333
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsa34 View Post
Interesting. I am actually taking some programming classes via iTunes U, so I am trying to set a goal for myself. I really would love to create something to bring life back into all these PPC machines that apple decided to make obsolete. I love my MDD and am in the process of picking up a G5 dual, dual core simply for this emulator. I know it is an ambitious project but I can dream right? If anyone has a G5 theyd be willing to let go cheap or donate I could really use it. Also if there are any more programmers with alot more experience that could kind of guide me that would be amazing! Just shoot me a PM if anyone is upto the challenge Game on Apple!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't quite think you understand exactly how complex this is. Emulators and virtualization are typically not even developed by average software engineers/programmers, they're often worked on by people with Ph.Ds in CS and CE.

I'm assuming you want to do a technology like rosetta, which first of all, probably will be extremely difficult, but not impossible, since Apple DOES make Darwin's kernel public... Essentially when an Intel binary were to be launched, you would then have your code launch and translate in real time the instructions as they're being executed. This is an extremely daunting task, and would take MANY years for even a team of professionals to develop. It is definitely NOT a hobby project.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

The only way that PPC would be brought back to life is if people start developing for it again. I don't mean putting things like Linux or Android (don't even think about it, not even going to work now that we're past 1GHz), but making actual apps that are made especially for them.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc333 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't quite think you understand exactly how complex this is. Emulators and virtualization are typically not even developed by average software engineers/programmers, they're often worked on by people with Ph.Ds in CS and CE.

I'm assuming you want to do a technology like rosetta, which first of all, probably will be extremely difficult, but not impossible, since Apple DOES make Darwin's kernel public... Essentially when an Intel binary were to be launched, you would then have your code launch and translate in real time the instructions as they're being executed. This is an extremely daunting task, and would take MANY years for even a team of professionals to develop. It is definitely NOT a hobby project.
Absolutely! I worked on CPU emulation way back in the day, and it is NOT trivial and you aren't going to learn how to do that via iTunes U. Translating instructions and making sure all of the processor oddities are emulated properly requires a TEAM of engineers, who know the internals of the hardware at assembly level. A lot of the emulation requires deep knowledge of the instruction set, the assembler code, and especially the endedness of the CPU. If you don't understand all of that don't bother to try.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
kevin242
macrumors member

geesh you guys seem a little harsh. he is just starting out. the first time i took a C class my plan was to write a 3d game engine from scratch... needless to say I worked very hard and created a program that someone (no one lol) could use to help you budget your money and was very proud

I think the only way a powerpc machine could emulate a x86 for anything important would be using some kind of hardware add on device
kevin242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:41 PM   #11
tayloralmond
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
I think the only way a powerpc machine could emulate a x86 for anything important would be using some kind of hardware add on device
That'd be a dream come true.
The Blog I Work At: MyMacCollection
tayloralmond is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs