Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:59 AM   #1
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
Import to FCPX from different webcam?

Hey guys and gals,

I've been creating some videos where I mainly need to be in front of the camera and talk. Till now, I've been using the iSight camera on my iMac. I just purchased a 1080p Logitech C920 webcam. The camera works nicely with PhotoBooth, lags in QuickTime Player X capture doesn't even show in FCPX. Is there anyway that I can make FCPX see beyond the default camera?

If not, are there any other capture programs where I can use my Logitech camera and my Yeti microphone? (even if QPX worked, I hate how it produced gigantic file sizes)
illegalprelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
ThatGuyInLa
macrumors member

Funny, I was about to post this exact same question.
ThatGuyInLa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:52 AM   #3
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Is the device compatible with the MAC?
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
fa8362
macrumors 65816

Your camera isn't supported on the Mac:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...2,4,5/cl/us,en

That doesn't mean you can't get it to work, but it does mean you shouldn't expect it to work, and you might have hell getting it to work. If you just bought it, you should return it.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
ThatGuyInLa
macrumors member

It works with Photobooth, QuickTime (7) and (X), FaceTime, Skype, and You Tube (via their web interface); FCPx refuses to see it.

HOWEVER...

You will be stuck in 640x480 mode for all but QT. QT lets you record using the camera's native mode of 1080p, but only as an uncompressed RAW stream. So your HDD is going to choke. If you have an SSD you might be able to record smoothly.

Lastly, you won't have control or access to many of the features that makes the c920 great. My suggestion, do what I do. I record my "important" videos using Parallels. That way I get to use the Logitech software and have full control. (Parallels was recently on sale for $49 as part of the app bundle with other apps)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:40 PM   #6
ThatGuyInLa
macrumors member

Hey guys, I posted a video in my YouTube channel using the camera. Turns out QTx does work nicely.

Logitech c920 test

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video