Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Neverwinter Nights 2 for free (almost)

Neverwinter Nights 2 for $0,79 on the app store ! Get it now !

Or better, don't bother. Apparently, the game is so buggy and has such high sys reqs that even 79 cents is too much...
Dr. McKay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:10 AM   #2
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

For $0.99 (on the US Store) even if I can't play it now, I'll keep it around for when I can. These types of deals are like the Steam holiday deals, I often buy many more things then I will play but they are good to own for when you do want them.

Thanks for the heads up, I did purchase it.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
fleabite
macrumors member

Arrrgh!

I just paid $19 for this two weeks ago. Never expected a Steam-quality sale to appear for this in the App Store.

Oh, well. Regarding it's quality, it crashed on my 2010 iMac a few times in multiplayer due to server connection issues, but has behaved better my last few sessions and I have had no issues whatsoever in single player. Contrary to early reports, it runs smoothly for me. Unfortunately, it is only the original campaign and there seems little hope of the expansions coming to OSX.
fleabite is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Warhawk15
macrumors regular

I expected it to run smooth on my MBA.
Even with low settings its pretty choppy, funny considering I can play much better/newer games at almost full settings and no lag.
Oh well, at least it was only 0.99$!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Yoda3984
macrumors member

I just picked this up the other day when Amazon had it for $0.99 as a digital download. Too bad, I'd rather have picked it up on the Mac App Store...

I've played a few hours on my MacBook Air, and it runs just fine. Only crashed once (so far).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Bought it. The truth ? A right POS...

Shame. I just wasted 79 eurocents.
I remember playing the demo from the first NWN. Loved it. Never bought the game, though. But this... I understand why they're offering it at this price...
Dr. McKay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:28 AM   #7
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

There is another thing to remember, if you buy it from the App Store, if they update it in the future to fix these bugs, you'll get the upgrade free. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say... maybe this weekend.
MRoogle
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Northwestern
macrumors regular

I saw this deal last week at Gamersgate. Now that it is on the app store too, I bought a copy
Northwestern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:21 AM   #9
nph
macrumors 6502a

It is gone... Back to $15
nph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:32 AM   #10
throAU
macrumors 68030

it is buggy yes, but if you can live with the bugs, the actual game/story is very good.

it was buggy as hell on release for the PC also, but that didn't stop me playing it a heap back then

bought it for the mac a couple of months ago, haven't had time to get back into it. but it is worth it...
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #11
doh123
macrumors 65816

I play the full Windows version from time to time with all expansions and some mods using Wineskin... besides some random crash bugs when loading zones, it runs pretty good overall... but can get those same crash bugs even if running on Windows... so it is just a buggy game, but its still very good overall.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:22 AM   #12
antonis
macrumors 6502a

Thanks to this thread I got it last day with the 0.79 euro. I see now it's back to the old price.

@OP: Thank you.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Better get this instead :
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/30/...coming-to-mac/
Dr. McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:15 AM   #14
doh123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
yeah... thats awesome, I just played through that again (Wineskin port) like a year ago. one of the funnest RPGs ever made.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:13 AM   #15
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
@OP: Thank you.
My pleasure
Dr. McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:56 PM   #16
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

I must be the lucky one. I've encountered one bug and it happened once; the bug where the AI loses the ability to follow your characters. 2 minutes on google solved that problem and I was back on it again adventuring.

I'm running the game on an 2.3Ghz i5 13" With the Intel HD Graphics 3000 card. Performance is great, in fact I can't ever read all the interesting text on the loading screen quick enough. Might have something to do with having 8GB of RAM though.

I like hope the expansions are coming out though, that's my only concern.

UPDATE: I just found this script for adding the expansions to the Mac App Store version. http://portingteam.com/index.php/top...lation-script/
Old Apr 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #17
antonis
macrumors 6502a

I don't have many issues either with this game. One crash only so far and I'm well far into the game already. Performance is absolutely great and it looks really nice on iMac's 27" screen. It's great to play this epic RPG with only 0.79, especially if you haven't played it before. D&D RPGs are so few, and this is a real gem.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:54 PM   #18
aCondor
macrumors 6502

For 79 cents I don't think you can really complain. I mean, that's half a Snicker's bar.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Doomdab
macrumors newbie

I downloaded Neverwinter Nights 2 while it was on sale. Great price. It doesn't play very well on my macbook but I figured when I get a better machine at a later date, it'll probably run more smoothly.

However,

I've noticed that the game is no longer in my app store purchases (nor in the hidden purchases section), and the game itself, as of 5th April 2012, is no longer for sale on the app store - it's as though it's disappeared, taken down, vanished, etc... I still have the game in my applications folder, however. But this obviously effects me if I want to download it onto a new machine in the future.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Have Aspyr taken it down from sale, and can this effect my purchased list?

From a rookie,

Doomdab..
Doomdab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:20 AM   #20
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomdab View Post
I've noticed that the game is no longer in my app store purchases (nor in the hidden purchases section), and the game itself, as of 5th April 2012, is no longer for sale on the app store - it's as though it's disappeared, taken down, vanished, etc... I still have the game in my applications folder, however. But this obviously effects me if I want to download it onto a new machine in the future.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Have Aspyr taken it down from sale, and can this effect my purchased list?
I am seeing the same thing and am not happy. I did pay for this, and now they pulled it less than two weeks later? I haven't even downloaded it yet! I purchased it due to the sale, so that I could play it when I got my new machine (as soon as Apple releases the next gen laptops). I'm going to call them and find out what's going on.
MRoogle
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Trinite
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
I am seeing the same thing and am not happy. I did pay for this, and now they pulled it less than two weeks later? I haven't even downloaded it yet! I purchased it due to the sale, so that I could play it when I got my new machine (as soon as Apple releases the next gen laptops). I'm going to call them and find out what's going on.
Hm. Likewise. That's annoying. Would you please let us know what they tell you? Thanks!
Trinite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:51 AM   #22
negativzero
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomdab View Post
I downloaded Neverwinter Nights 2 while it was on sale. Great price. It doesn't play very well on my macbook but I figured when I get a better machine at a later date, it'll probably run more smoothly.

However,

From a rookie,

Doomdab..
Aspyr took the game down because apparently their license to distribute the game expired, so they canned it from the AppStore.
negativzero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:58 AM   #23
Old Smuggler
macrumors 6502a

They would do that
Old Smuggler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:59 AM   #24
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativzero View Post
Aspyr took the game down because apparently their license to distribute the game expired, so they canned it from the AppStore.
Wow, so they tried to screw people during the last two weeks by offering it to them at such a discount and then pulling it. Talk about scummy.

I'll have to avoid them in the future. BTW, Apple already refunded my money.
MRoogle
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:45 AM   #25
ArztMac
macrumors regular

No need to stress out about the 3 quarters...

The AppStore has a pain-free money back guarntee. I once used by buying s $10 app without properly reading the description thnking it was soething compeltely different. No problems getting my funds back.

Just email them and they will refund your pennies within a couple of days. Apple is too nig to even care as it would almost always cost them more in support costs than most apps sell for.

Just please don't flame Apple about it, they are just offering the platform. Just request your pennies.
ArztMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games