Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredcintra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
I just figured out how to Access the old All Winodws Exposé in Mountain Lion! I don't know if it works in Lion too.

First, you need to have App Exposé activated in Trackpad Pref Panel, once you activated it, point the pointer on a closed app at the Dock and perform the App Exposé gesture, Voilà! All Windows Exposé!

(Since it's a Bug, it doesn't work always)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 12.03.21.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 12.03.21.png
    926.3 KB · Views: 411

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Interesting. A sign of things to come or really just a bug? This definitely doesn't work on Lion.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
ive only been a mac user post lion but i dont see how that is better or more organized than mission control

It isn't more organized. In fact, pre-Leopard versions of Exposé were even less organized. But they made it relatively easy to pick a random window just by visual recognition of size and content:

tiger.jpg

I personally wasn't a huge fan of later versions of Exposé and can see how Mission Control has certain advantages over it. And there's still Application Exposé, which is drag-and-droppable and everything. I only think performing the scrolling gesture over a window group in Mission Control should spread out the window over the whole screen. Or they could just build in an option letting you decide whether windows should be grouped by application or not.

ian2000gsxr

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I just figured out how to Access the old All Winodws Exposé in Mountain Lion! I don't know if it works in Lion too.

First, you need to have App Exposé activated in Trackpad Pref Panel, once you activated it, point the pointer on a closed app at the Dock and perform the App Exposé gesture, Voilà! All Windows Exposé!

Haven't gotten it to work :(
Are you on Dev Preview 1 or 2?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
After pressing F8 to get into Space, are you able to move the application window from one space to the other?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Holy ****!! This is amazing news! That means that the algorithm for All Window Exposé is still there somewhere, and I'm sure someone can simply find a way to have it enabled by default without having to rewrite it from scratch. Maybe Apple is going to bring it back somehow, that would be the best news ever!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Can anyone tell if this still works on DP3? Fingers crossed!

-----

After pressing F8 to get into Space, are you able to move the application window from one space to the other?

If by Spaces you meant the Leopard one, yes you can. In fact, you can move windows from any space to another, not just from the current one.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
This feature/bug is in DP3. I truthfully prefer Mission Control over this, its more organized.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

This has always worked this way as long as you only have one desktop.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but I can't get it to work in DP3. Did a fresh install of DP2 and updated with DP3, in case it would make a difference.

ahmadq

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Try performing the gesture three times on the same closed app icon. It worked for me on DP3

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Wow:eek:, now lets just hope they will implement this into public release....then

Here is my creditcard, Apple take my money whatever it gonna cost!

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
I never took much notice to Exposé during my time with SL. It was only after I upgraded to Lion that I started to really notice that there is a lot of talk about Exposé and well frankly now that I have been using MC for quite awhile now I don't see the big deal with Exposé. It is unorganized and very cluttered. I appreciate MC much more. And before anyone attacks I have heard all the complaints about working with very many apps, windows and programs open at once. I still think MC is a far more organized and structured way of working with apps, programs etc. Also as someone pointed out Exposé is still available from app to app.

Just my opinion not fact.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I seriously hope Apple leaves this in the final version... :eek:

Or simply add an option (or make available a modifier key) to have MC show windows in a non-overlapping way. Probably too late into ML's development for that though... :(

Lion (slightly edited):
mcold.png

What Apple could make it look like (same windows as in the first picture):
mcnewplease.png

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Or simply add an option (or make available a modifier key) to have MC show windows in a non-overlapping way. Probably too late into ML's development for that though... :(

Lion (slightly edited):

What Apple could make it look like (same windows as in the first picture):

A modifier key would be great - Not too complicated for novice users, easy for advanced users.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Doesn't work in Lion.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder if ML "Mission Control" would work in Lion (doubtful but I'm always game for tinkering) :D

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
It didnt worked for me in DP3 :) Anyway sooner the GM is being released, more sure Im about that Expose is gone forever :( Only thirdparty app is an option IMHO.:mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.