Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The folks at iPatch iPods have created another hardware mod to follow up on their Backlit Apple logo from September.

IMG_1649-500x373.jpg

The original mod was revealed late last year, and they've since added a new feature which they describe as a "headphone jack torch". This video walks through the original glowing Apple mod and also the new headphone jack one:

The headphone jack remains fully functional, and they are even working on a fibre optic headphone cabling that would give you illuminated cables in different colors.

iPatch is a a third-party iPhone repair company based in the UK and can also be followed on twitter at iPatch_iPods.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Mod Adds Real Flashlight to Headphone Jack

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
can it be turned off? I dont want a beam of light shooting out of my phone the entire time the screen is on. What if I am using it during a seminar or something and trying to be discreet?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
These guys do the best job; I really like the Apple logo, but I'm not completely sold on the headphone jack light. Personally, I use my iPhone's flash as a flashlight without any mods, but this could be particularly useful for a more direct beam when needed.

I'm a huge advocator of making tasteful light mods on cars; side emblems being changed into blinking turn signals, full-width tail lights under plain reflector panels, rear or front emblem / hood ornament being dimly illuminated, etc... I think the glowing Apple mod is by far the most tasteful, well-done mod that there is. Just not sold on the light beam yet. We'll see. :)

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted

sclawis300 said:
can it be turned off? I dont want a beam of light shooting out of my phone the entire time the screen is on. What if I am using it during a seminar or something and trying to be discreet?

My thoughts exactly! I was thinking this was very cool until the vid showed it went on with the screen. Seems pointless otherwise (plenty of "torch" apps that use the camera LED).

greenlogo1976

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Well, in that case, I'd suggest you don't buy it.

abnorm

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Do these mods just use light from the screen or actually install an extra light source?

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
I can imagine someone with this mod bringing in their iPhone to the Genius Bar where the Geniuses will proceed to look down the headphone jack for the water indicator while accidentally pressing the power button.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

On the other hand... it would be quite funny if you left your phone turned on in a darkened theatre, and decided to sneakily check your phone for messages mid-show. Suddenly... a beam of light shines out from the middle of the audience!

".....wasn't me!" :p

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
On the other hand... it would be quite funny if you left your phone turned on in a darkened theatre, and decided to sneakily check your phone for messages mid-show. Suddenly... a beam of light shines out from the middle of the audience!

".....wasn't me!" :p

For everyone who hates it when someone checks their phone during a movie... this would be great :p

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted

Do these mods just use light from the screen or actually install an extra light source?

it looks like the apple logo is from the screen. not sure about the torch

arn

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Not sure I'd want to do that to mine.

I love the company name though. Har-har, jim lad, to this land-lubber iPatch Pods sounds like sea-fairing traders selling eyewear to piratey dolphins!

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I didn't watch the video so I don't know this mod. But how this is any better or not than using one of the plentiful (many free) flashlight apps available?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
just guessing, but I think they are replacing the original iPhone headphone jacke with a multipurpose jack that handles optical output, like on our mac minis and iMacs. All they would have to do is swap a regular LED in place of the included one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.