Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iDownloadblog reveals some new iOS 5.1 strings that include references to "4G".
"4G_ON_CALL_CANCEL" = "Cancel";
"4G_ON_CALL_OK_DISABLE" = "Disable";
"4G_ON_CALL_OK_ENABLE" = "Enable";
"4G_ON_CALL_WARNING_DISABLE" = "Disabling 4G will end your phone call. Are you sure you want to disable 4G?";
"4G_ON_CALL_WARNING_ENABLE" = "Enabling 4G will end your phone call. Are you sure you want to enable 4G?";
"4G_ON_FACETIME_4G_WARNING_DISABLE" = "Disabling 4G will end FaceTime. Are you sure you want to disable 4G?";
"4G_ON_FACETIME_WIFI_WARNING_DISABLE" = "Disabling 4G may end FaceTime. Are you sure you want to disable 4G?";
"4G_TEXT" = "Using 4G loads data faster, but may decrease battery life.";
The site suggests these may have been put in place for true 4G ("LTE") in the next iPhone.

While we do believe the next iPhone is likely to get LTE, our guess is that these 4G strings were put in place at the same time to reference the updated 4G indicator that Apple also included in the iOS 5.1 update. Existing iPhones now show "4G" at the top of their screen when they are on AT&T's HSDPA+ network. We expect Apple will continue to distinguish the faster LTE networks by specifically calling them "LTE" as they do on the 3rd Generation iPad.

We also don't think references to 4G and Facetime are necessarily predictive. Apple has had strings in the past suggesting that Facetime might work under cellular data, but the restriction appears to be carrier imposed rather than a technical issue.

Article Link: More '4G' Strings Found in iOS 5.1

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
That LTE will be awesome for the 20 minutes it takes for the battery to run out.

For a split second I was insulted that you said that, but then I realized it was funny because it was partly true. :p

I'm sure the next iPhone will include a battery improvement like usual.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted

so no iOS6 this year ... thought so. gonna stare at the same boring icon grip for the next 10 years i see. and yes i love my iPhone, iPad but the OS is starting to show its age

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
From what I understand, Apple did have a new LTE iPhone in the pipeline for last year. The 4S was a backup "plan" as Apple was experiencing difficulties with battery life using a triband Qualcomm LTE/GSM/CDMA chip and faster ARM. As an iOS developer, I recall murmurs of "Siri" (at the time the name was not known, but the implementation was hinted to us) being available for the 4 model. In the end, Apple scrapped the LTE model and pushed the 4S with "Siri" exclusivity for consumer marketing as Apple PR believed consumers would care more about a feature such as "Siri" than newer internal components.

Keep in mind, months before the 4S release many case manufacturers obtained [supposed] leaked iPhone designs and spent thousands on case production. Apparently the design followed the tear drop tapered design of the iPod Touch and iPad, with an aluminum back and redesigned antennae. Makes sense to have a uniform device line.

Whether this is true or not, we'll never know. Add into this AT&T's throttling just before the iPhone release (perhaps AT&T was panicked over it's lacking 4G infrastructure which lead to widespread throttling of their 3G band, not knowing what to expect from Apple), as well as the 4G strings indicated in older iOS 5 IPSW's. Personally, I believe there was a 4G device that was intended for release, but Apple wanted to avoid another controversy after "antennae-gate" and played it safe. :)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
but the restriction appears to be carrier imposed rather than a technical issue.

Uhm... So explain to me how I still cannot make FaceTime calls on cellular even though my T-Mo Germany plan explicitly allows VOIP (which also allows video calls)?

GS:mac

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
To be fair, the new iPad's battery has a greater capacity than some macbook batteries (Macbook air rev a,b, and c come to mind).
What's your point? The iPad barely grew in thickness to accomodate this. Are you saying if the iPhone thickens a bit to accomodate the same on a smartphone scale, you won't buy?

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Yeah, better invent some nano cold fusion cells to power its radio :roll eyes:
Otherwise, we'll need significantly bigger or completely re-engineered battery.

I simply don't want iPhone to be thicker just because of a 4G technology which is not (and most likely won't be anytime soon) available in my country.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Bring it! Living in an LTE sweet spot and watching my friends pull 12M down on their Notes while I'm getting 4M max on 3G is giving me bandwidth envy :D

ABC (always be charging) is my reality with my iPhone 4 anyway.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/5.1-Network-Strings-Plist-150x225.jpg]Image

[/url]iDownloadblog reveals some new iOS 5.1 strings that include references to "4G".The site suggests these may have been put in place for true 4G ("LTE") in the next iPhone.

While we do believe the next iPhone is likely to get LTE, our guess is that these 4G strings were put in place at the same time to reference the updated 4G indicator that Apple also included in the iOS 5.1 update. Existing iPhones now show "4G" at the top of their screen when they are on AT&T's HSDPA+ network. We expect Apple will continue to distinguish the faster LTE networks by specifically calling them "LTE" as they do on the 3rd Generation iPad.

We also don't think references to 4G and Facetime are necessarily predictive. Apple has had strings in the past suggesting that Facetime might work under cellular data, but the restriction appears to be carrier imposed rather than a technical issue.

Article Link: More '4G' Strings Found in iOS 5.1

The fact that a 4G iPhone will be coming soon is no suprise.
The REAL NEWS here is this line...

“4G_ON_FACETIME_4G_WARNING_DISABLE” = “Disabling 4G will end FaceTime. Are you sure you want to disable 4G?”;

Official Facetime allowed by Apple over 4G.
No more wifi-only facetime! (sans jailbreak) :D

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm not surprised to hear that 4G strings are in iOS 5.1 (iPad uses the same core software). Plus, some engineering on that next iPhone requires some software. Anyway, the tech blogs keep saying that the new iPad's battery holds more juice without being much larger. So, physically, the iPhone 5 could have a slightly larger battery but still have great battery life like the iPad. After seeing all of the Android phones launch the carrier's LTE networks (& all of the subsequent complaints), Apple has more knowledge on how to offset the more power hungry LTE radio.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
FYI, Apple already refers to the iPad 3 as an iPad 4G if it's the 4G/LTE version...

See here:

https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GlobaliReg.woa

Choose iPad, then on screen 4 you will see:

ScreenShot2012-03-24at122712PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.