Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
This isn't really a full out complaint, more of a question, i mean my $300 lcd screen came with a cleaning cloth, no name brand, my 51" LG plasma (still cheaper than my ipad 64) came with a cleaning cloth, raybans come with cloths, many cases come with cloths...

you'd think a tablet would come with a cloth. :rolleyes:

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
This isn't really a full out complaint, more of a question, i mean my $300 lcd screen came with a cleaning cloth, no name brand, my 51" LG plasma (still cheaper than my ipad 64) came with a cleaning cloth, raybans come with cloths, many cases come with cloths...

you'd think a tablet would come with a cloth. :rolleyes:

If you have all those cloths, why would you need (or want) another one? :p :D

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
If you have all those cloths, why would you need (or want) another one? :p :D

lmao i wasn't complaining, i was just curious. its a touch screen device where practically 90% o the surface area is touch, i just wondered if there was a reason why they dont include it, what am i suppose to do with 2 apple stickers vs a cleaning cloth.

and ghett0, not everyone chooses to go with the smart cover option!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
lmao i wasn't complaining, i was just curious. its a touch screen device where practically 90% o the surface area is touch, i just wondered if there was a reason why they dont include it, what am i suppose to do with 2 apple stickers vs a cleaning cloth.

and ghett0, not everyone chooses to go with the smart cover option!

I know you were not complaining. I was just having a little fun with you. ;)

I've never wondered it, but you do make a good point. They are but a few cents each. Heck, I even got one with a screen protector I purchased for my son's iPad 2.

I have so many I am to the point where I am just throwing them away.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Apple being apple. Business as usual. Down to the profit margins.

Anyway, I usually either spit on my iPad screen or sneeze on it then use either my hand and shirt in combination to clean the screen.

Problems solved. You carry a rag with you everywhere you go anyway it's called your shirt.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
For the same reason they no longer include them with MacBooks.

Now that you mention that, I remember getting on with my iPhone 3G. I don't remember getting one with the 4.

Oh well, like others have said, I have at least 5 of them around the house.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
....but I don't have an Apple t-shirt.:D

Well go buy one! :D. I think they may have them in the Cupertino gift store. I still have my Apple keychain that I won from an Apple training event.

Anyways, the iPad screen is pretty resilient so shirts, pants, and even jeans will work for cleaning without damaging the screen. Just don't use jeans with lots of studs on them. The screen hardness is about a 9 so most materials softer than 9 will clean the screen as long as it is pliable.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Apple has been known to cut back on accessories provided with their products. The more they sell and the more popular a product becomes the more barebones the boxes come with. That's how you end up with 90Billion in excess cash lying around :cool:

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
This.

Every now and then, just slide the smart cover across the screen instead of lifting it up. Works wonders :)

So I guess I'm one of the few people for whom this really doesn't work all that well? ;) Maybe it's just because I have an older smart cover and isn't what it used to be, or up to standards of the newer ones.

I just keep around the cloth that came with my MacBook in 2009. And I just ordered a newer pretty looking microfiber cloth -- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=microfiber+artcloth

And I don't think that Apple includes them with their products anymore, especially the iPad, because they don't want to endorse what can be taken as a negative perception of their product, and on some level it comes across as apologetic.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I never really liked the cleaning cloths included with Apple products before...I much prefer the heavy, thick microfiber cloths you can pick up for 5 for 5 bucks at places likes Frys.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
So my eyeglasses came with a thin, flat microfiber cleaning cloth, and to clean my TV I bought a pack of fatter, kind of textured microfiber clothes at Costco. They almost look like little terry cloth towels, except they are microfiber and stick to your fingers in an uncomfortable way. Does it matter which kind you use?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Do the math, let's say apple sells 1,000,000 iPads. At $0.10 a piece that's $100 grand apple kept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.