Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
It's better than I expected. Here is the speedtests.net app results. The last one was tested inside office building. Only 2 bars. The second one was done in open area and had 5 bars.

The 47 mbps is still lower than the theory peak value. But that's already very good for mobile networking.

I am on its Flex rate plan without contract. It's on promotion now. The first two months is unlimited for $5 only. The 3-6 month have double data. http://www.rogers.com/web/content/i...ess_Eng-_-iPad_PrelaunchDataPlans_0510-_-iPad.

No term contract is required. If sales ask for contract, ignore them.

BTW, I'm in Vancouver.

rogerslte.png

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Rogers has 2/mo unlimited data and 4 months double data...so you can get 10GB for 4 months.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Rogers' promo is the best out there right now. I went with Telus though, as I liked their mid range tier $20/500Mb. Also offering first 2 months unlimited for $5 but nothing after. Plus Telus/Bell, when outside of LTE area, you get switched to DC-HSPA vs. only HSPA for Rogers. Although Rogers does have EDGE as the absolute fallback (but who's going to be patient enough with EDGE now!).

I'm actually trying to use it the same as I would normally (ie., turn off cellular data while at home and using wifi at the office) to see what my 'normal' usage will be. I get the feeling they give you unlimited to get you used to using lots of data at the beginning.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
That 47 was pretty fast, but the rest..... Meh, not quite Verizon LTE but close.

The rest are from my home broadband. I actually have a 50M cable Internet, but the iPad WiFi could only reach about 20M. My MBP could easily get more than 40M.

adamdt

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
i went to rogers today to see what plan i was gonna get worked out before i went and bought a 64/4G and turns out im screwed :mad: I have a 6gb unlimited plan with my phone and they wont let it be shared AND they wont let me change to a data share plan because i just renewed back in october so my only option is to add $36 a month to my bill at minimum if i want an LTE pad :mad:

any ideas? or am i stuck with a wifi?

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Rogers has 2/mo unlimited data and 4 months double data...so you can get 10GB for 4 months.
That's sneaky, get people hooked on high data use and pull the rug out and charge. How long contract and how much is overages?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.