Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you do? Return TBD for New or Keep existing TBD and wait for a fix?

• Exchange for new TBD (even though the issue will most likely occur with this one as well)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Keep the Thunderbolt Display you have and wait for the software fix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I purchased a Thunderbolt display 30 days after it was launched. The Display for the most part is in perfect working order except for a minor audio issue. The issue most likely will be resolved by a OS X software update but I have been waiting sometime for a resolution and I am still waiting.

I have been offered an opportunity to exchange the display for a brand new TBD.

So here is my question. Is there any real benefit for me to exchange the monitor other than just getting a monitor that is brand new versus the one that I have that is 7 months old.

The issue with my monitor is believed to be software related but we are now at month 7 and there is still no fix and the issue persists.

Should I just wait for the fix which could be months from now or exchange the monitor for a new one that MOST likely will have the same issue since Apple believes that this is a software related conflict.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Since it's a software issue and your monitor works just fine otherwise, save the Earth the pointlessly spent resources a needless unit exchange would have cost.

Everything has a price, even if we don't see it straight away.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Wait till the 12th month, and if the problem still persists, exchange for a new one. That way you might have an extended warranty.

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
Have you tested with another TBD to see if you can replicate the problem? if you can't maybe your display is faulty.

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Have you tested with another TBD to see if you can replicate the problem? if you can't maybe your display is faulty.

I have not tried a different monitor. Apple replicated the issue in their own labs with exactly my setup and the problem occurred for Apple as well so my conclusion is most likely it will occur with another monitor. But the Monitor is the only variable that has not be replaced. Computer was replaced, software reinstalled, etc. It has kind of been a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.