Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:10 PM   #176
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the iPad 3 can be in such high demand and everyone is buying one when the shipping times are now nil and resellers are now dumping their extras?

Not trying to be a smartass, just curious. I know this could easily be explained by increased supply, but is there any objective evidence that supplies are much higher this time around?
The first clue was when pre-orders started. 16 out of the 18 models were still in stock 2 full days on Apple's website. Then all of a sudden every last model went on backorder. How can every single model just go out of stock at the same time?
Second clue was when Walmart started their sale at 12am. There were 5 at my walmart and they still had 2 units at 11:50pm.
Third clue was at Sams club and Bestbuy. Both stores had tons of units in stock on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Fourth sign is massive returns from scalpers.

I know for a fact iPad 3 will not beat iPad 2 sales. If Apple only used a faster next gen dual core or a quad core I would not be posting this. When people don't "see" speed differences over the previous product why bother upgrading. Plus it takes longer to charge, heavier and thicker. People don't need LTE that chews through data plans or cameras on 10 inch tablets.

Apple is using a Jedi mind trick on their website. People will see the backorder which gives the impression of high demand. Then when the customer see's them in stock at the stores Apple is betting that you will buy it. Apple could still have thousands of these sitting in their warehouses in the US but it looks worst when product is still sitting on store shelves. Smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by cdmoore74; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
cdmoore74 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:47 PM   #177
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
When people don't "see" speed differences over the previous product why bother upgrading.
Most iPad buyers are not upgrading from the previous model.

Most iPad buyers don't care about "speed" differences or the lack there-of at all, as long as it runs their most common apps fairly smoothly.

Most auto companies stopped selling their most popular models based on "speed differences" long long ago, instead advertising based on safety, comfort, mileage, handling, and curb appeal.
firewood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:52 PM   #178
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMRamage View Post
They could have a 5 item return limit per day.

something to still accept them but make it a pain to do.
Track based on Driver's License or ID like Best Buy and pharmacies who can only sell X amount of allergy stuff.
They originally tried to do something to do with purchases of the early iPads (or was it iPhones) they didn't take cash because they wanted to have charge cards and IDs to make sure people weren't buying them up. I think it just turned into a hassle for them...

Gary
__________________
http://GarySaid.com/ uses an 11" MacBook Air (a nice cross between my old 12" PowerBook + old PowerBook Duo), AppleTV 3,
the amazing 7th iPhone (5s 64GB) and a beautiful iPad 3 64 GB!
garylapointe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:18 PM   #179
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
Most iPad buyers are not upgrading from the previous model.

Most iPad buyers don't care about "speed" differences or the lack there-of at all, as long as it runs their most common apps fairly smoothly.

Most auto companies stopped selling their most popular models based on "speed differences" long long ago, instead advertising based on safety, comfort, mileage, handling, and curb appeal.
Let me spin it in your words:

"Most iPad buyers don't care about "resolution" differences or the lack there-of at all, as long as it runs their most common apps fairly smoothly."

That's why ipad 2 users will not upgrade. The processor is no faster and the ipad 2 screen is not crap. Not only that but the ipad 3 takes almost 2 times longer to charge up because of the larger battery. The heat issue is no issue for me but it is for a lot of people especially ones with small kids. My personal feeling is that Apple was lazy this time around. Still number one with tablets but only because Google has fumbled out the gate.
cdmoore74 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #180
jlc1978
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Nope. Once they made the sale they made it. That policy would only allow them to refuse to make the original sale.
I wonder - they use an and, rather than saying "we will," so you could interpret as we can do A and we can do B; which doesn't imply we must do A and B.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludge420 View Post
You clearly have no concept of sustainable economics. (ad hominem removed)
Actually I do. Arbitrage, amongst other things, helps make an economy work and be sustainable. Perhaps you'd prefer one where some central planner decides what can be sold and at what price, or if a company decides not to produce enough to meet demand no when else can bring in products to meet the unmet demand; but experience shows that isn't sustainable.

Quote:
You really need to do some real research and learn some basic real world economics away from people who's only interest is in self profit. Macro economics isn't about how to run a business, it's about how to run a world. Too many people like you think they're one in the same.
They actually are - from the guy arbitraging commodity prices to the guy selling cigarettes on the treat by the smoke and making a few bucks on the packs he buys and splits up. Despite what you say, the profit motive is what drives real world economies.
jlc1978 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:45 PM   #181
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
That's why ipad 2 users will not upgrade.
You're right. That's why the vast percentage of the many many 3rd gen iPad customers are not previous iPad 2 owners. Apple is tapping a vast new market.

...but I upgraded anyway. The slightly better display is growing on me more than the slight increase in weight.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:06 AM   #182
jman240
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
What are the chances of someone who buys one now getting one of these returns instead of "new" from factory? I personally wouldn't want to take the gamble that they were dropped, mishandled, etc because the reseller couldn't sell them.

Do these become refurbs instead or can they be sold as new?
jman240 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:02 AM   #183
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
It's interesting how the article specifically mentions Chinese resellers yet when someone in these forms notes how many Chinese nationals are waiting in line for iPads they get voted down as racist.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display iPhone 6 Plus (pending)
xraydoc is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:55 PM   #184
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601
 
OrangeSVTguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
***
Great. That keeps them in the store longer and makes more work dealing with them.
That's fine, Apple employees are paid by the hour, scalpers are not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman240 View Post
What are the chances of someone who buys one now getting one of these returns instead of "new" from factory? I personally wouldn't want to take the gamble that they were dropped, mishandled, etc because the reseller couldn't sell them.

Do these become refurbs instead or can they be sold as new?
They have to be opened and inspected. So they will then be sold as a refurb. They should be opened and checked before a refund is issued as I'm sure the idiots out there could have swapped an iPad 2 in there and resealed it
__________________
Browsing the forums from my Powerbook G4
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:43 AM   #185
nsayer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
ummmmmmmmm, yes it does. If you sell me something and tell me I have 14 days to return it to you no questions asked and I try to return it to you and you say no, then you are doing exactly what your first paragraph says you cant. does not work like that.
Well, of course, if they make a 14 day return period part of the contract, then they have to honor it. But there's nothing in the law that requires them to do so. They could announce tomorrow that all sales at the Apple store for the new iPad are final and henceforth they will not take any returns at all. They would still be required to exchange or repair defective units (there are, in fact, retail durable goods warranty requirements or implied warranties in most states), but they're not under any legal obligation at all to accept returns.
nsayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #186
Doc750
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I returned mine this past weekend, they didn't inspect the box at all. I also have not received the credit back on my card yet (I do have the emailed return receipt).
__________________
Current apple products:MPB 17, ACD 27, MBA 13, iPad2
Replaced iPhone 4S with Note 2
Replaced ATV2 with Roku 2 XS
Doc750 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:31 PM   #187
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
The Scalpers Are Screwed

I learned something interesting today about all those Asian scalpers returning iPads. I noticed on launch morning while I was waiting in line that the "workers" that the scalpers hired to wait in line were all paying with Apple gift cards. Of course this is because Apple doesn't accept cash for iPads. Today while I was in the Apple store exchanging my AT&T for a Verizon, I saw a couple of fellows with shopping bags full of iPads, returning them. That's when it hit me...all those returns are going back on the gift cards. The gift cards can't be redeemed for cash, only store credit. The salesperson told me that months before the launch, there would be people coming in buying tens of thousands of dollars in Apple gift cards. So although the scalpers may get their store credit back, they can't get their cash back. I think Apple was incredibly shrewd in limiting sales to non cash. So all those iPads go back on the shelves but they keep the sales because of the gift cards.
Blorzoga is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:01 AM   #188
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I learned something interesting today about all those Asian scalpers returning iPads. I noticed on launch morning while I was waiting in line that the "workers" that the scalpers hired to wait in line were all paying with Apple gift cards. Of course this is because Apple doesn't accept cash for iPads. Today while I was in the Apple store exchanging my AT&T for a Verizon, I saw a couple of fellows with shopping bags full of iPads, returning them. That's when it hit me...all those returns are going back on the gift cards. The gift cards can't be redeemed for cash, only store credit. The salesperson told me that months before the launch, there would be people coming in buying tens of thousands of dollars in Apple gift cards. So although the scalpers may get their store credit back, they can't get their cash back. I think Apple was incredibly shrewd in limiting sales to non cash. So all those iPads go back on the shelves but they keep the sales because of the gift cards.
I hope that is true. I'd like to see the scalpers trying to sell the gift cards for profit!
__________________
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Digitalclips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:10 AM   #189
Delgadoren
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The Chinese practice which import tax higher, reaching 130-140 $. No wonder they were to return. But surprisingly, these returnees are young and beautiful.
__________________
HP Coupon Code
Delgadoren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:44 PM   #190
Kludge420
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
"Ad hominem removed"
You might want to look up what an ad hominem is because the act of disparaging someone's character is not an ad hominem. If I said you were wrong because of some negative quality you posses (or I claim you posses) then that would be an ad hominem;

You've demonstrated a serious lack of basic critical thinking skills so I would strongly suggest you educate yourself better before attempting to make what you might think are rational arguments.

Until then you're just spitting into the wind and anyone talking to you is doing the same.
Kludge420 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Avenue for returning potential stolen iPad SuperCompu2 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 10 Mar 8, 2014 11:35 PM
5th Avenue Apple Store garya73 Current Events 5 Jan 26, 2014 06:16 PM
Campers Already Setting Up for iPhone 5S/5C Launch at Apple's Fifth Avenue Store MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 208 Sep 17, 2013 03:03 PM
iPad Mini Sells Out in Two Hours at Apple's Flagship Fifth Avenue Retail Store MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 211 Nov 15, 2012 09:32 PM
First iPhone 5 Orders Have Begun Shipping, Line Begins at 5th Avenue Apple Store MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 195 Sep 21, 2012 09:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps