Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's good as a backup Mac, but you might notice a difference since you have a MacBook Pro. I have a 1.8GHz one and I personally don't notice any speed differences. It can only run up to leopard though and it didn't get the last Safari update.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
As far as benchmarks go, a G5 Quad is considerably faster than a 2.2GHz Core2Duo. Granted (as people above have said), if you need to run the "latest and greatest," you might not want to dive into the PowerPC world. As for me, I'm perfectly happy with my day to day use (iTunes, internet browsing, writing papers, and YouTube). The G5 PowerMacs are about the only PowerPC computers that can handle high definition Flash video without dropping frames. I used to have a 1.25GHz iMac G4 17" and it really struggled with any video above 360p.

EDIT: As far as video editing goes, I think it'll work well for you...but it's certainly not going to be as fast as a current generation i7 Macbook Pro or any Mac Pro but it's a great computer for the money and offers a lot of expandability. Just keep in mind you won't be able to run the latest Final Cut or iMovie on it.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Ok I will look over and compare with several old and latest Final Cut versions and then I will decide. I still do have Win7 desktop running AMD Athlon 64 4800+ with 2GB memory and 2 hard drives total 1TB and super fast ATI Radeon X1950 512MB graphic card :) But I find iMovie and FCPX very easy to use than Adobe Premiere Pro.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Video editing is one of the most power hungry application. I don't think it's the best opportunity to dive in the PowerPC world. Just my opinion. But a G5 quad is still a great computer.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Video editing is one of the most power hungry application. I don't think it's the best opportunity to dive in the PowerPC world. Just my opinion. But a G5 quad is still a great computer.

Personally I think the quad is a beast & will run pretty much anything you throw at it.

The quad G5 gets better Geekbench scores than a 2.4 GHz P8600 C2D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.