Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WILLDOGS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hi all I am taking a road trip soon and need to know if there are any car chargers that supply enough power to charge the new iPad? I know the wall charger is 10w, is there a car charger that supplies similar power?

My alternative is to bring my brick of an inverter with me in the car and use the supplied adapter which I rather not.

Thanks!

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Most inverters produce noisy power (square or stepped sine wave), and also generate noise due to fans, and produce quite amount of heat -- they are very inefficient. I would not suggest using an inverter and your regular charger.

I personally use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Charger-iPad/dp/B003N7NO4Q/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

It charges as fast as the home charger, and barely gets warm.

It is theoretically possible for any "noisy" charger to damage the battery over time, when using a charger like this, the amount of noise is more of a question of noise in your car's electrical system than the charger itself. Some cars will be better than others.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
@willdogs - yes, several exist that output 2amps. I have a Kensington that has two USB jacks, one normal and one 2.1A for an iPad.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Hi all I am taking a road trip soon and need to know if there are any car chargers that supply enough power to charge the new iPad? I know the wall charger is 10w, is there a car charger that supplies similar power?

My alternative is to bring my brick of an inverter with me in the car and use the supplied adapter which I rather not.

Thanks!

I wanted to know this question as well. I doubt it will charge as being used though:

Originally Posted by big samm
Yes you can charge via the cigarette lighter... I'm in my car right now and I'm charging my iPad no problem... Just make sure you get a 2amp charger, or it will not charge at all!

WILLDOGS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Most inverters produce noisy power (square or stepped sine wave), and also generate noise due to fans, and produce quite amount of heat -- they are very inefficient. I would not suggest using an inverter and your regular charger.

I personally use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Charger-iPad/dp/B003N7NO4Q/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

It charges as fast as the home charger, and barely gets warm.

It is theoretically possible for any "noisy" charger to damage the battery over time, when using a charger like this, the amount of noise is more of a question of noise in your car's electrical system than the charger itself. Some cars will be better than others.

@willdogs - yes, several exist that output 2amps. I have a Kensington that has two USB jacks, one normal and one 2.1A for an iPad.

I wanted to know this question as well. I doubt it will charge as being used though:

Originally Posted by big samm
Yes you can charge via the cigarette lighter... I'm in my car right now and I'm charging my iPad no problem... Just make sure you get a 2amp charger, or it will not charge at all!

Great info! Thanks all! I like that one from the amazon link, I can charge my phone and ipad while on the road at the same time

cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.