Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barka06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Hi All,

Before everyone says this sort of thing has been posted a million times I've looked everywhere and can't find a good answer.

I am looking for an invoicing/accounting software for my mac. Ideally one that is a one off payment as i tend not to like paying monthly. I run a small/medium business.

The application must have editable invoices, I've downloaded 5-10 different trials and can't get the invoice to look similar to my previous ones.

It must have a database that i can use to store customers information as i currently update a pages template and am sick of typing the address in each time, updating the date and invoice number and type of customer field. It must also be able to store 'products' i sell more of a service than a product so editable item name is a must.

I wouldn't mind it to show me graphs etc of the business account etc similar to how kashflow works.

Please only RECOMMEND a application, not something you've just googled, I've googled loads myself and i want only recommended apps as i want to know it is user and small business friendly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: moontechnolabs

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
Hi,

I use Solar Accounts on my Mac for our business accounts. It's a pretty simple application to use and cheap to buy (£150 which covers 3 users).

http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/

It has a 60 day trial so you can try it out for yourself if you haven't already.

I'm not able to compare it to Kashflow or any other application myself, as i've not used others.

It doesn't give you graphs of any info, but it does give reports so you can see who owes you what, and whether people are over their credit terms etc.

Hope this helps.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
[I've used Multiledger from CheckMark software for many years and use it for my business as well as using it to do write up work for other business's. I'm not sure what your Invoice requirements are, but it has about every thing else. I like it much better than Quick Books Pro.

malch

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I tried four or five different apps, and then found something called PAID.
I really like it, and the developer has added a couple new features that I've suggested... in other words, he's very receptive to suggestions, and keeps making it better.

http://minutiaesoftware.com/

It's specifically designed for people in the productions business, but I think it should have much broader appeal.
Anyway, I've been a fan for years.
regards,
malch

KlytusLord

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Qb 2012

QuickBooks 2012 offers many of the things you listed, and it is finally working well in OSX. According to Intuit, they built this last version from the ground up for Mac OS, instead of just porting the windows version.

Invoice template editing is a bit cumbersome, but the results are fine. We do not use bulk invoicing, so I do not know if it handles this aspect well or at all.

It has a good customer and product database; the products can be either items or services, and you can even create product groups that include both, software with product support included, for example.

Amazon usually sells it for $40-$50 less than the Intuit website.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I've been using Billings, from MarketCircle, for almost two years now; Pretty straightforward, and I appreciate its simplicity, as at the time it was my first time working as an independent contractor.

http://marketcircle.com/billings/

barka06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Hi and thanks for the replies so far.

I've had a look at Billings and if i remember rightly i was put off due to the fact it was timer, i have products so it didn't really work well for me. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Quickbooks for Mac - I was fairly keen to get this as it had been the one most people recommended however i am a UK business and there does not seem to be a UK version of the MAC software which makes me unable to use it.

The others seem to be online software and ideally i would like to keep away from online stuff unless theres a really good one that warrants me using it online.

Keep them coming..Thanks

----------

malch - Your link seems to not work?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I use something called AccountEdge (formerly known as MYOB)... If they have a Canadian version they likely have a UK version.... though perhaps under a different name.

It does everything you listed.... though perhaps not graphs. It may do graphs, but I don't use 'em so haven't checked.

It keeps a database of customers and vendors, and treats companies and people slightly differently. Attached to each customer/vender card are details about which ledger accounts and tax codes to use. This fills in an invoice with the defaults though you are free to then over-ride for exceptions.

You can have 4 different types of customized invoices - Professional Services, Time Billing, Products, and iirc Misc. The invoices are not the easiest to customize, and you can't carry a design from one type of invoice over to another.... but once you've got done right it works.

You can keep an inventory of "things" if you want. You can track the "parts" that make "things".... I'm a photographer and use Time Billing and Pro Services invoices, so I don't the Product invoicing at all.

It creates all the reports you will ever need. I just send a bunch of Excel reports to my accountant at tax time.

Not cheap. But the support is pretty good.

Up front purchase, unless you have staff and need to buy the annual employee tax tables.

Good Luck.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
I am looking for an invoicing/accounting software for my mac. Ideally one that is a one off payment as i tend not to like paying monthly. I run a small/medium business.
I'm using Easy Books (available in app store for desktop and iOS). It includes full double entry book keeping, invoicing, and easy syncing between computer and iOS devices.
First, about pricing. Its one-off pricing for the app and iOS app, and a one-off for invoicing feature. syncing is the only part that is ongoing. you buy 6 month or 1 year of syncing.
About the software: very intuitive. I tried many others, but this was the only one that "sucked me in" so to speak. Very short learning curve. The invoicing is pretty easy as well. You can edit and set it up how you want (with different settings for different customers). All sales transactions have an invoice associated.
Has reports options, for displaying reports on various parameters, which you can print or save.
Sycning between devices is a snap. No need to set any in "sync mode" or any such thing. It just notifies you when you launch any one of the apps if there is any update from a different device, and once you click ok, it updates. iOS (phone and iPad) are very nicely done and easy to use.
Only thing lacking for me: a little more customization preferences, maybe better customer information database features.
Not much to complain about.

JasonBourne1

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
Depending on what your requirements are, cloud accounting apps appear to be the way forward.
I personally use Liquid (http://www.liquidaccounts.net). It's customisable so you can switch off features your dont want and add what you do need.
They have a live sandbox so you can play around with it.

Zwadder

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Billings

I have used Billing for almost 2 months and although it's an ok app, last week it suddenly stopped working, redownload, reinstall, deleting all kind of files, nothing helped. Made ticket to the support desk, the same nothing happened, still waiting for a reply :mad::mad::mad::mad:.
It's the first ever app that refused to work on my Mac, did some searching and found out that I'm not the first. It's more then essential information you store in a program like billings, when it, for no known reason, decides not to work anymore, the least you could expect is some proper reactions of a helpdesk. I can't see my working hours anymore, can't make any invoices (although I have the DB) this is bad, very bad:(:mad:.

ukraine55

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Awesome App

Been using Billings for a year myself also. This application has a small footprint, never crashed on me, never lost data, and best of all easy to use. Reports are pre-designed, and you can easily customize the dozens of their invoicing templates. Worth a shot.

I've been using Billings, from MarketCircle, for almost two years now; Pretty straightforward, and I appreciate its simplicity, as at the time it was my first time working as an independent contractor.

http://marketcircle.com/billings/

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
Been using Billings for a year myself also. This application has a small footprint, never crashed on me, never lost data, and best of all easy to use. Reports are pre-designed, and you can easily customize the dozens of their invoicing templates. Worth a shot.

Kind of a partial necro-thread, but I used billings for a while... the only problem I have now is they went to a monthly 'cloud' style payment, which I'm not a fan of; so I still have my old version 3 running fine.

--rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.