Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm still having issues with my ATV2 (tried solving it with help on a Dutch forum, without success so far) and maybe someone here could help me,....

My setup:

ATV2 connected through a Onkyo 308 on a Sony Bravia EX1 (not with the wireless connection but the Onkyo is connected with HDMI to the EX1). I use a LAN cable to connect to ATV2 with the network.

When I playback files from my Synology NAS (DS111) , the files occasionally stutter a little bit.
I think I can best describe it as a frame loss once in a wile (around 1 time per 2 minutes or so). It happens most during horizontal panning of the screen. It happens less (almost not) when the camera stand still.

This happens in xbmc (and ATVflash) using all of the possible protocols.
I've set my ATV to 720@50hz since it was a lot worse running at 60hz an turning off "motion flow" doesn't make a difference..

My popcorn hour (connected the same way, with the same cables) doesn't have this problem.
Will changing the ATV2 for a ATV3 solve this (have it for 2 weeks now, but think I can still change, will have to wait a while for a JB though......)

Does anybody know what I can do best?

Regards,
Harm

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
How are you video files encoded? If they are are 1080p that's probably your problem. What are you using to encode and at what settings?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
You say it happens when running XBMC and ATV Flash (black). Does it happen when you play a video through iTunes? I mean, does it happen when you use the ATV2 as it was intended? :)

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Playing trailers from iTunes goed without any stuttering...

When I play directly from the ATV2 (placed à file on it using filezilla) it stutters.... 720 x264.mkv

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Playing trailers from iTunes goed without any stuttering...

When I play directly from the ATV2 (placed à file on it using filezilla) it stutters.... 720 x264.mkv

Does it happen when you play a movie through iTunes Home Sharing, the way Apple intended the ATV2 to be used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.