Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
adamvk
macrumors 65816
 
adamvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Show library folder?

So I just added replaced my hard drive, and now I need to transfer some files over, and some of the files were located in the user/library folder. I know that Lion hides it by default, but you can get around it easily on the built in hard drive. But how would I access the user/library folder on my external hard drive with my old data?
__________________
Retina MBP | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
adamvk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Also holding option after clicking Go will add library to the list
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
sidewinder
macrumors 68020
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern California
Come on. This is all over Google.....

Open the Terminal.app and type this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

S-
__________________
Mac Pro: 8-core 2.8 GHz, 10GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4; iPhone 5 32GB iOS 6.1.2
sidewinder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
  • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
  • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
  • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library
  • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
adamvk
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
adamvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Yes, I've heard all of these steps before.

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.
__________________
Retina MBP | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
adamvk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Yes, I've heard all of these steps before.

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.
You should be able to see it on the external drive, as it shouldn't be hidden there. If it is, just change it to show all files, using the method in the link I posted.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:05 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Yes, I've heard all of these steps before.

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.
Then: Mac OS X – Show / Hide Hidden Files in Finder
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:35 PM   #9
waxrain
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Come on. This is all over Google.....

Open the Terminal.app and type this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

S-
This is all over Google, yes. Too bad it doesn't work.

The only way I've been able to have it permanently show is the "Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu" and then drag the icon in the tab to the Finder menu.
waxrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:39 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxrain View Post
This is all over Google, yes. Too bad it doesn't work.

The only way I've been able to have it permanently show is the "Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu" and then drag the icon in the tab to the Finder menu.
Read post #5, as well as the link there. It does work.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:20 PM   #11
sidewinder
macrumors 68020
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Yes, I've heard all of these steps before.

But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one.
Fine. Use your brain. Get the full path to the folder you want to see in the Finder and put this command in front of it:

chflags nohidden

So the command in the Terminal.app will look something like this:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/<volume_name>/Users/<username>/Library/

If the volume name is "External" and the username is "adam", the command would look something like this:

chflags nohidden /Volumes/External/Users/adam/Library/

S-
__________________
Mac Pro: 8-core 2.8 GHz, 10GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4; iPhone 5 32GB iOS 6.1.2
sidewinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:05 AM   #12
tron2005
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Come on. This is all over Google.....

Open the Terminal.app and type this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

S-
Well this is NOT working on my MacBook Air running OS X 10.8

Yes I can click Go from Finder and then hold down the Option key to
see the Library folder BUT I cannot make that damn Library folder
appear permanently.

Like I said "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work!!
tron2005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"But I need to see the library folder for the EXTERNAL DRIVE. Not the internal one."

Is the external drive bootable?
That is, a "bootable clone"?

If that's the case, I would:
1. boot from the external drive
2. run the terminal command while booted from the external, then..
3. reboot from the internal drive.

May or may not work, but might be worth a try.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:59 AM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron2005 View Post
Well this is NOT working on my MacBook Air running OS X 10.8

Yes I can click Go from Finder and then hold down the Option key to
see the Library folder BUT I cannot make that damn Library folder
appear permanently.

Like I said "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work!!
Did you try relaunching Finder after entering that command in Terminal? The command does work, if you do it right.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:37 PM   #15
tron2005
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Did you try relaunching Finder after entering that command in Terminal? The command does work, if you do it right.
OMG I'm gonna type that command via Terminal then I'm gonna walk
away and not even check to see if it works.

Get real, of course I checked and now, read my lips...

ENTERING THE TERMINAL COMMAND "chflags nohidden ~/Library/"
ON MY MACBOOK AIR RUNNING 10.8 DOES NOT WORK!!!

Sheesh, stop telling people it works when it doesn't, full stop!!

Have since bought a decent Finder (Path Finder) and lo and behold the
Library folder is now always visible.
tron2005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:05 PM   #16
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron2005 View Post
OMG I'm gonna type that command via Terminal then I'm gonna walk
away and not even check to see if it works.

Get real, of course I checked and now, read my lips...

ENTERING THE TERMINAL COMMAND "chflags nohidden ~/Library/"
ON MY MACBOOK AIR RUNNING 10.8 DOES NOT WORK!!!

Sheesh, stop telling people it works when it doesn't, full stop!!

Have since bought a decent Finder (Path Finder) and lo and behold the
Library folder is now always visible.
Calm down. It works for everyone but you, so no, I won't quit telling people that it works. When something works for the vast majority but doesn't for a very few, the likelihood is great that the very few either didn't do it correctly, or there is some other mitigating factor. You still didn't answer my question about relaunching Finder.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:20 AM   #17
tron2005
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Calm down. It works for everyone but you, so no, I won't quit telling people that it works. When something works for the vast majority but doesn't for a very few, the likelihood is great that the very few either didn't do it correctly, or there is some other mitigating factor. You still didn't answer my question about relaunching Finder.
I thought my sarcastic response...

"OMG I'm gonna type that command via Terminal then I'm gonna walk
away and not even check to see if it works."


was answer enough.

But just for you I will spell it out, YES I did relaunch Finder and like I said,
NO visible Library folder shown.

I have the impression that you think I've owned a computer for all of 20 minutes and don't know RAM from ROM, but google TRS-80 and that will tell you how long I've been into computers.

BTW, I have read quite a few responses in various forums from people with the same issue as me and the command "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" doesn't work for them either. No surprise there for me.

Believe me, I'd love to show you personally that "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work on my MacBook Air so I could see the expression of surprise on your face when you finally realise I was right.

So it now seems to be (as you stated), "some other mitigating factor" for me and I suggest that rather than blaming people as you also stated - "few either didn't do it correctly", that you would be better off researching what exactly that mitigating factor is.

But for me I don't care anymore as (like I said), I now have Path Finder that does actually display what Finder doesn't.

Last edited by tron2005; Aug 22, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
tron2005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron2005 View Post
I have the impression that you think I've owned a computer for all of 20 minutes and don't know RAM from ROM, but google TRS-80 and that will tell you how long I've been into computers.
I have no such impression. On a forum, it's impossible to know the extent of a poster's knowledge or experience unless they disclose it. I make no assumptions and try to keep instructions simple enough for any level of computer literacy. And I don't need to Google TRS-80, as I remember clearly when Radio Shack came out with it. I was working and living not far from CEO Charles Tandy at the time the TRS-80 was introduced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron2005 View Post
Believe me, I'd love to show you personally that "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" does NOT work on my MacBook Air so I could see the expression of surprise on your face when you finally realise I was right.
I don't question that it's not working for you. Determining why is another matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron2005 View Post
So it now seems to be (as you stated), "some other mitigating factor" for me and I suggest that rather than blaming people as you also stated - "few either didn't do it correctly", that you would be better off researching what exactly that mitigating factor is.
I'm not blaming anyone for anything. Many times people follow procedures incorrectly, claiming the procedure itself doesn't work. It's not a matter of blaming them; it's just fact. This command works. If it doesn't work for a particular person, there is a reason. One possibility is that the person didn't enter the command correctly. Another is that they may not have relaunched Finder. There are other possibilities that would need to be explored. The exact reason it doesn't work for you would need to be determined, but as you have elected a different solution, it's moot.

The point is, the command does work, so it doesn't make sense to stop helping other people with a solution that works for most, just because it didn't work for you.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:27 PM   #19
Mal
macrumors 603
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando
tron2005, if you can do so without getting into a pissing match, try this:

Open Terminal, enter the command (copy and paste eliminates any typing errors), and then before you hit enter, take a screenshot with Cmd-Shift-4 and let us see exactly what you see before you push through the command. That way we can help troubleshoot your specific situation. The chflags command definitely works on all of the machines I've ever tried it on, so if there's a problem, it's specific to your setup.

jW
__________________
The Bearded Nerd
13" MacBook Pro; 64GB iPod touch
"It's a real burn, being right so often."
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:51 PM   #20
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Did you try it without the trailing slash? I can't check to see if that works right now since I'm on my phone.
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #21
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Worked for me
MBA running ML 10.8
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:06 PM   #22
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
for the person/persons the say it doesnt work do you mean it doesnt add it to "Go" menu? because i can confirm it doesn't for me either but it "DOES" unhide it from with my users/myname folder in finder
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:08 PM   #23
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
for the person/persons the say it doesnt work do you mean it doesnt add it to "Go" menu? because i can confirm it doesn't for me either but it "DOES" unhide it from with my users/myname folder in finder
Same here
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:11 PM   #24
tron2005
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
tron2005, if you can do so without getting into a pissing match, try this:
Yeah I guess I do tend to get a tad hot under the collar when things don't
go according to plan. I sometimes feel I should change my surname to
Murphy because if something ain't gonna go right then it ain't gonna go
right for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Open Terminal, enter the command (copy and paste eliminates any typing errors), and then before you hit enter, take a screenshot with Cmd-Shift-4 and let us see exactly what you see before you push through the command. That way we can help troubleshoot your specific situation. The chflags command definitely works on all of the machines I've ever tried it on, so if there's a problem, it's specific to your setup.

jW
Ok here we go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 10.52.42 AM.png
Views:	59
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	354042

BTW, I really do like Path Finder (almost as good as Windows Explorer)...
Nah just joking, actually it's waaaaay heaps better and well worth the 40 bucks.
tron2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:28 PM   #25
tron2005
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
for the person/persons the say it doesnt work do you mean it doesnt add it to "Go" menu? because i can confirm it doesn't for me either but it "DOES" unhide it from with my users/myname folder in finder
I simply wanted the Library folder to be displayed within the Go menu like every other folder does.
When I hold down the Option key inside the Go menu, there it is (Library) until I release the Option key, then poof, it's gone.
It's obviously not a big ask, it works like a gem in Path Finder.
And yes, it does unhide it from my users/myname folder but that's not what
I was after.
tron2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to show mails in folder x but not in folder y in Mail? sanchopanza Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Mar 16, 2014 07:51 PM
Change "show item info" in Finder icon view to show size of folder instead of items? drought OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Jan 17, 2014 11:52 PM
A device to show my iphoto library? jrm27 Digital Photography 5 May 15, 2013 12:23 AM
Can't get sent mail folder to show up inscrewtable Mac Basics and Help 5 Feb 18, 2013 03:31 PM
Resolved: How do I get time machine to show my user library? cms2 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Feb 13, 2013 01:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC