Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Closed Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
gldubzakjr
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to gldubzakjr
Angry New iPad 3 Cannot Connect to WiFi Out-of-Box

I have been trying for the past three hours to get my brand new iPad 3 WiFi only model to connect to my Netgear WNDR4500 router on either 5GHz. or 2.4GHz. with no luck. I've turned off the Bluetooth, WiFi, rebooted, restored, etc.

Every time I try to connect it simply says "unable to connect."

What the hell? Has anyone else encountered an issue like this? My original iPad 1 worked with no problems what-so-ever. My sisters iPad 2 connects to my network without issue. What the hell is the deal with this iPad 3?

I've read numerous comments about weak signals, and I am sure updates will correct that in the future, but not being able to connect has me rethinking this purchase and Apple's future without Steve Jobs... The new CEO reminds me of a A-Typical corporate douche-bag that is all about the might dollar instead of the actual products. (A little off topic, but I'm really pissed right now)...

Anyone have any suggestions before I simply return the iPad 3 and walk away from ANY new Apple devices?

Thanks,

gldubzakjr is offline   -3
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldubzakjr View Post
I have been trying for the past three hours to get my brand new iPad 3 WiFi only model to connect to my Netgear WNDR4500 router on either 5GHz. or 2.4GHz. with no luck. I've turned off the Bluetooth, WiFi, rebooted, restored, etc.

What the hell? Has anyone else encountered an issue like this? My original iPad 1 worked with no problems what-so-ever. My sisters iPad 2 connects to my network without issue. What the hell is the deal with this iPad 3?

I've read numerous comments about weak signals, and I am sure updates will correct that in the future, but not being able to connect has me rethinking this purchase and Apple's future without Steve Jobs... The new CEO reminds me of a A-Typical corporate douche-bag that is all about the might dollar instead of the actual products. (A little off topic, but I'm really pissed right now)...

Anyone have any suggestions before I simply return the iPad 3 and walk away from ANY new Apple devices?

Thanks,

Wifi no longer works with the new iPad
Spink10 is offline   8
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

No, your network just sucks. But thanks for your hilarious post about how it is Apple's fault and is the beginning of the end for the company.

Does the Wi-Fi work on other networks? If yes then how is it the iPad's fault? If you say "because other iPads and devices work fine" then you fail Networking 101.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
solidsnake32292
macrumors regular

Lol^^ but in all seriousness... It may just be your router... How old is it? When was it purchased? And maybe you should head to local best buy... Pick up a linksys dual-band Router and it will most likely solve all of your issues...
solidsnake32292 is offline   -1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Rofl, i don't think i've laughed so hard in quite a while, and the funny thing is, some people will believe this if you give it to them as an answer to faulty wifi problems.
Redjericho is offline   -2
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
gldubzakjr
macrumors member

Quote:
What the hell does that mean? Of course it does, many are using it just fine; although the may have less signal strength than before, but that can be due to many interference issues that are easily corrected in firmware releases. My wife is a embedded software engineer, she's been designing stuff like this for over 20 years now...

I've already sold my original iPad 1 and will be shipping in on Monday. I bought this iPad 3 with higher hopes but if Apple's technical support can't give me an answer over the phone in the next 24 hours; that's it, it'll go back and I'll likely NEVER own another iPad again. For $699 this thing should work straight out of the box, just like every device I've ever owned under Steve Jobs watch.

This latest release from Apple leaves me wondering where the company is headed; perhaps mid-1980's once again... So sad too, they had such promise!

I am so pissed off and frustrated right now I could SCREAM...
gldubzakjr is offline   -11
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Oh and OP, it is possible that you have received the one faulty device i mean someone has to get it, maybe you should contact apple. you said yourself
Quote:
many are using it just fine
Redjericho is offline   1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
eq2675
macrumors regular

Upgrade your router's firmware

Try the new iPad with security turned off just to see

If your router is a Netgear, well then your just SOL
eq2675 is offline   -2
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What the hell does that mean? Of course it does, many are using it just fine; although the may have less signal strength than before, but that can be due to many interference issues that are easily corrected in firmware releases. My wife is a embedded software engineer, she's been designing stuff like this for over 20 years now...

I've already sold my original iPad 1 and will be shipping in on Monday. I bought this iPad 3 with higher hopes but if Apple's technical support can't give me an answer over the phone in the next 24 hours; that's it, it'll go back and I'll likely NEVER own another iPad again. For $699 this thing should work straight out of the box, just like every device I've ever owned under Steve Jobs watch.

This latest release from Apple leaves me wondering where the company is headed; perhaps mid-1980's once again... So sad too, they had such promise!

I am so pissed off and frustrated right now I could SCREAM...
Your right if Steve was alive - you would have no problems with your personal network.
Spink10 is offline   5
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:05 PM   #10
chadrob30
macrumors 6502

LOL, mine was connected to my network before I took it out of the box.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:05 PM   #11
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Some routers have a limit of devices that can be connected to it. I had a similar situation. My hotspot had 5 connected and a 6th one couldn't, even with the password. But, I figured it out.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Does it connect if you put it back in the box?
Mac'nCheese is offline   3
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #13
falcora
macrumors 6502

OP, does it connect to other wireless networks? If not, it may be a faulty iPad. But it's definitely something to check out before you start blaming apple and their rogue CEO.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Steve Jobs wasn't a hardware engineer. He didn't make WiFi or any of the wireless components work in any Apple device. Stop being so ignorant and first test to see if the WiFi works on another network. If not, then the worst case is it's faulty and you get a replacement.
Dangerous Theory is offline   0
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:08 PM   #15
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Your right if Steve was alive - you would have no problems with your personal network.
Oh Steve jobs we will miss you!
Redjericho is offline   -1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:08 PM   #16
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
I'm sure the CEO of Apple handpicked the one broken iPad and made sure it comes delivered to you.
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   3
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
doboy
macrumors 65816

Did you happen to setup your router to block connection based on Mac address? Check your router settings first and even disable all security to see if that helps.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   0
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
gldubzakjr
macrumors member

First off, I work as a network engineer myself so I am VERY, VERY familiar with the difficulties that occur with WiFi networks, and how to properly configure them and so-forth. The router, IS running the latest firmware releases, in-fact, I stay up-to-date on these updates on a monthly basis, so the problem ISN'T MY NETWORK... Everything else on the network works just fine... I support well over 200 devices on my local network without an issue...

As for defective product, well, I've exchanged two of them now, so now we have three devices; all from different product lots and all different serial number lots. So, is it me or Apple's lack of quality control???

I've called Apple, their only answer is to return the device for a new one. It's a 30 miles drive each time I need to perform an exchange. I've been back and forth three times today already.

I've tried several routers, including commercial ones and our Apple Time Machine with the latest firmware installed. And still, none of the three can connect... I've tried OPEN WiFi, WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, and so-forth and still, none of the three iPads can connect...

You're right, it must be me and not Apple's sudden lack of quality control...

Between the potential screen issue, heat issue, and wifi issues; I suspect Apple is headed in a backwards direction and that is truly a shame.

And by the way, two of these units were tested our at Best Buy and failed there as well, even their store display units cannot connect to WiFi; only LTE/4G...

Hmm... Couldn't be an Apple issue right?

gldubzakjr is offline   -5
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:20 PM   #19
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

It's them, not you. Are you breaking up with Apple now?
thatoneguy82 is offline   -1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:20 PM   #20
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
First off, I work as a network engineer myself so I am VERY, VERY familiar with the difficulties that occur with WiFi networks, and how to properly configure them and so-forth. The router, IS running the latest firmware releases, in-fact, I stay up-to-date on these updates on a monthly basis, so the problem ISN'T MY NETWORK... Everything else on the network works just fine... I support well over 200 devices on my local network without an issue...

As for defective product, well, I've exchanged two of them now, so now we have three devices; all from different product lots and all different serial number lots. So, is it me or Apple's lack of quality control???

I've called Apple, their only answer is to return the device for a new one. It's a 30 miles drive each time I need to perform an exchange. I've been back and forth three times today already.

I've tried several routers, including commercial ones and our Apple Time Machine with the latest firmware installed. And still, none of the three can connect... I've tried OPEN WiFi, WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, and so-forth and still, none of the three iPads can connect...

Between the potential screen issue, heat issue, and wifi issues; I suspect Apple is headed in a backwards direction and that is truly a shame.

And by the way, two of these units were tested our at Best Buy and failed there as well, even their store display units cannot connect to WiFi; only LTE/4G...

I highly - highly - highly doubt you have done everything you said on this post. I personally think you are lying about exchangings, routers, etc.
Spink10 is offline   4
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:21 PM   #21
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Quote:

So NOW you give us this information. Well done (Y)

Also, remember saying this just above? "What the hell does that mean? Of course it does, many are using it just fine"

Yet at the same time there's some huge issue with the WiFi and Apple have failed? Which is it?
Dangerous Theory is offline   -2
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:25 PM   #22
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Thanks,

Just plug it directly into your USB port on your computer and use it as a wired device instead of a wireless device. Works awesome.
Blorzoga is offline   1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:27 PM   #23
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Hm, so you have gotten 3 iPads that all cannot connect to your router, and there is next to nobody else having this problem.

There is something in common here, let's see if you can find it.
Redjericho is offline   2
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:27 PM   #24
dmccloud
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Theory View Post
So NOW you give us this information. Well done (Y)

Also, remember saying this just above? "What the hell does that mean? Of course it does, many are using it just fine"

Yet at the same time there's some huge issue with the WiFi and Apple have failed? Which is it?
OP has contradicted himself so many times it's hard to tell what's true and what's not. I will say that his/her post is the first I've heard of some sort of "widespread" problems with the new iPad and WiFi. Mine has connected just fine to every WiFi network I've tried, and the majority of people have had no issues as well. Also, the iPads at my local Best Buy are connected to the WiFi there.
dmccloud is offline   -2
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:27 PM   #25
eq2675
macrumors regular

Quote:
As for defective product, well, I've exchanged two of them now, so now we have three devices; all from different product lots and all different serial number lots.
You and your network are far to advanced for an Apple iPad, maybe you should consider a Windows 8 tablet.
eq2675 is offline   -1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad