Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:35 AM   #26
Jessemtz25
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStarr View Post
I have a screen protector on my iPad 3 right now and I hate it. I would so much rather just not have it. I treat the iPad exceptionally well. Do I really need it? I have a smart protector. I also have a carbon fiber backing. I like those just not the protector.
No you don't.
Jessemtz25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:35 AM   #27
donster28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli356 View Post
And the glare and having to keep cleaning the screen ruins the experience imo.
To add:
Risking scratching the screen while cleaning...yes it does happen too.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:08 AM   #28
Zeos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
It really does not wear off from use.
Even Apple (in the iPad user's manual) says the coating wears off with use. However, what's the point of using a screen protector to preserve the coating? You're going to be buying a new iPad in a year or two anyway. Perhaps the best reason to use a screen protector is to help get another $40 or so when you resell it.
Zeos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:09 PM   #29
firewater
macrumors regular

No need for that, waste of $$$
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:15 PM   #30
drenline
macrumors 6502a

The overheating of the new ipad will melt the screen protector anyways so there's really no point of having one on.
drenline is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:39 PM   #31
CreedBratton
macrumors newbie

I bought a dark grey smart cover, a Belkin case for the back of the iPad and a generic Belkin sleeve for tablets. I also bought the Zagg HD protector, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I am paranoid because I scratched my iPad 2, but everyone is telling me not to put it on. I am extremely OCD with my electronics, but love the look and the feel of no screen protector.

Thoughts?
CreedBratton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:53 PM   #32
OnEMoReTrY
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreedBratton
I bought a dark grey smart cover, a Belkin case for the back of the iPad and a generic Belkin sleeve for tablets. I also bought the Zagg HD protector, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I am paranoid because I scratched my iPad 2, but everyone is telling me not to put it on. I am extremely OCD with my electronics, but love the look and the feel of no screen protector.

Thoughts?
Manup, it's an iPad not a sacred shrine
OnEMoReTrY is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:00 PM   #33
beauparc
macrumors member

No.
beauparc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:49 PM   #34
metanoiac
macrumors member

You don't need a screen protector.

For a phone, a screen protector MIGHT make sense, because you are often carrying it in a pocket with loose change, keys, etc.

I don't really see this to be true for an iPad (though you might want to put it in a sleeve or case for carrying it around).

See http://academipad.joachim-scholz.com...en-protectors/ for more info.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreedBratton View Post

Thoughts?
If everybody is telling you not to put it on, and if you like the screen more without a protector anyways, I think the choice is clear: Return the Zagg.

You don't need a screen protector for the iPad. The whole thing about screen protectors (minus maybe anti-glare ones) is created by marketing propaganda. See the link above.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:50 PM   #35
cschmelz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by donster28 View Post
The reason I put a screen protector from the get go is to preserve the oleophobic coating. This coating wears off in time.

I purchase screen protectors that are not cheap, have oleophobic coatings themselves and do not scratch as easy.

I also take my time in installing the screen protector which leaves me with a dust free, bubble free, lint free install.
So you use a screen protector to protect the coating that helps keep the oil on the screen from causing a mess because you are worried about it wearing off? Now that is amazingly silly!
cschmelz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:02 PM   #36
VidPro
macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind scratches take it off. If you want to protect it for future resale or you want to be safe keep it on.
VidPro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:10 PM   #37
Dane9
macrumors member

Protect your ipad don't be stupid!!!!!!!!

When you scratch it you will regret of not used protector.

You don't lose nothing, buy a cheap screen, i have one and i feel more safe using IPAD

I bought one for 1$ on ebay, and is perfect
Dane9 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:14 PM   #38
Surf Monkey
macrumors 6502a

Don't use one. I never do. Only the nastiest of scratches are visible with the screen turned on.
Surf Monkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:19 PM   #39
gorkt
macrumors member

I got a scratch on my iPad 2 without a screen protector, but I still didn't put one on that one or my new iPad. I didn't even notice the scratch unless the screen was turned off and the sunlight was hitting it just the right way. I really really hate the look and feel of them on the screen of the iPad, and I think it would be worse with the retina screen.
gorkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:21 PM   #40
omyard
macrumors regular

I've never used a screen protector on any of my iPads.

I did have some on my iPhone 3G and 3Gs, but I would end up taking them off after a bit of use. I never really liked them.
omyard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStarr View Post
I have a screen protector on my iPad 3 right now and I hate it. I would so much rather just not have it. I treat the iPad exceptionally well. Do I really need it? I have a smart protector. I also have a carbon fiber backing. I like those just not the protector.
I've never used screen protectors.

I used my 3GS daily for two years without a single scratch on the screen. The same went for my iPad and iPad 2 (which I let my cat play games on right before I sold it). The same currently goes for iPhone 4S and new iPad.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:12 PM   #42
StevieWonderMic
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to StevieWonderMic Send a message via Skype™ to StevieWonderMic
Don't put it on. I ripped mine off. It looks and feels much better sans.
StevieWonderMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #43
donster28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmelz View Post
So you use a screen protector to protect the coating that helps keep the oil on the screen from causing a mess because you are worried about it wearing off? Now that is amazingly silly!
To each his own dear sir. It's sad you put it that way. The only thing silly IMHO is knowing you're gonna lose something and doing nothing about it. Plus, I love my screen pristine. Besides, it is the main face of the iPad.

Go ahead and use your iPad naked. See you here in a few months time when you post your frustration in maintaining a clean screen.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:40 PM   #44
Genebaby
macrumors newbie

If put on well you can't tell the protector is on. This is hard to do, that's the problem.

I redid all my idevices and the results are fantastic. No reason to not have the protectors on.

Plus I did not like the feel of the glass during the week I didn't have it on. My finger glides nicer with the protector on.
Genebaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:41 PM   #45
tunerX
macrumors 6502

I put them on my kids devices. I go raw on mine.

If you were my kid you would have one on yours.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:54 PM   #46
Italianblend
macrumors 65816

iPad and iPhone has always been naked. This is the best way. Take the risk, it's well worth it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:08 PM   #47
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

Yeah, that coating does wear off, it's very finite.

As for the protector, to each their own. Considering the "retina" display, and the iFixit blurb saying how difficult it is to repair this, I'm using one. When the rest of this thing has scratches all over, I'll pull it, but for now, I'm keeping it. Besides, it offers a significant layer or protection in my application - one would be amazed at how much protection a thin layer of plastic provides when working with hard parts, and glass surfaces. That, and I have to wear gloves in this environment, and the bare screen is near impossible to use.

If you put them on right, not much in the way of visual degradation, or texture. The grease spots I'll give you, but a non issue in my case.

Besides, I paid all of 7 dollars for 2 (with free shipping), the 2nd one I'm going to use on the insanely expensive microscope objectives I've got kicking around.
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:19 PM   #48
iMaven
macrumors 6502

Skip the screen protector and get AppleCare+ instead.
iMaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:22 PM   #49
klover
macrumors 6502a

Always. A good screen protector is a cheap investment that offers peace of mind. I've used them on iPhones an iPads and install them bubble/dust free every time.

Optically, I've never noticed a difference.

Helps resale as well.
klover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:34 PM   #50
azure247
macrumors regular

I owned the ipod touch 2g, ipod touch 3g, an iphone 4s and I have never used a zagg or bodyguardz on the front glass screen. Never got any scratches.

How do I do it? Dont put it with your keys or metal objects.
Easy enough. Save money. Enjoy your screen!

Dont listen to people who say you need a screen protector. They are prolly OCD to maximum drive.
azure247 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories