Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1
imanidiot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Buying movies from iTunes for TV 3

Forgive me if this should be self explanatory, but I have in the past rented movies via the TV 2. Now that I have an TV 3, I would like to make a purchase. Can I do this from the TV, or must I purchase from iTunes on my iMac, and then watch via Home Sharing?

Thanks.
imanidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2
elmo151
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanidiot View Post
Forgive me if this should be self explanatory, but I have in the past rented movies via the TV 2. Now that I have an TV 3, I would like to make a purchase. Can I do this from the TV, or must I purchase from iTunes on my iMac, and then watch via Home Sharing?

Thanks.
it can be done from the atv. not all movies can be purchased (rent only) and many cannot be purchased in HD
elmo151 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
imanidiot
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo151 View Post
it can be done from the atv. not all movies can be purchased (rent only) and many cannot be purchased in HD
I'm aware that not all are for purchase, for for those that are? And, if possible to purchase via ATV, will it automatically download in iTunes? In other words, what happens to the download after purchase? Sorry to sound so dense.
imanidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Nothlit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
It will not automatically download in iTunes, but your purchases are stored in iCloud, so you can download them again at any time on any of your other devices. There is a "Purchased" link in the quick links sidebar of the iTunes Store home page, which is where you can go to view available downloads.
Nothlit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:11 AM   #5
imanidiot
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post
It will not automatically download in iTunes, but your purchases are stored in iCloud, so you can download them again at any time on any of your other devices. There is a "Purchased" link in the quick links sidebar of the iTunes Store home page, which is where you can go to view available downloads.
Can I download from the Cloud to my iTunes library? In which case, wouldn't it be better just to go to the itunes store on my computer?
imanidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Nothlit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Yes, you can purchase & download in iTunes on your computer. Then you could use the home sharing menu of Apple TV to stream the movie from your computer to the Apple TV. This might be the recommended course of action if you have bandwidth caps and want to reduce the amount of data you stream from the cloud.
Nothlit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:24 AM   #7
imanidiot
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post
Yes, you can purchase & download in iTunes on your computer. Then you could use the home sharing menu of Apple TV to stream the movie from your computer to the Apple TV. This might be the recommended course of action if you have bandwidth caps and want to reduce the amount of data you stream from the cloud.
O.K., I think I've got it. Thanks.
imanidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:04 PM   #8
dmk1974
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I have a related question. I tried to rent a movie (Muppets) via iTunes from my Mac Mini. I was going to download it and then sync it to my iPad so my kids could take it in the car for a long drive. Well, it took too long to download and we had to leave before it even completed downloading to my Mac.

I never watched the video yet. I checked on my Apple TV that same day, but it didn't show as a rental. Can I still watch it somehow or did I basically waste 5 bucks?
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro i5 2.4 ME865LL/A | iPad Mini Retina LTE 16GB Space Gray| iPhone 5 64GB Black | Apple TV3
dmk1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[$2.99 ->FREE for LIMITED TIME] TOP MONSTER TRUCKS RACING HD for iPad TopTapGame iPad Apps 5 Oct 27, 2012 09:25 PM
[[$2.99 ->FREE for LIMITED TIME] TOP MONSTER TRUCKS RACING HD for iPhone & iPad TopTapGame iPhone and iPod touch Apps 7 Oct 27, 2012 09:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC