Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davebzak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
hello all, I've been experiencing some problems with the trackpad on my 13"macbookpro I bought last year. Every time I open my laptop to use it the trackpad takes a few seconds to respond and start working properly instead of being instantly responsive like it should be. what could be causing this?

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
hello all, I've been experiencing some problems with the trackpad on my 13"macbookpro I bought last year. Every time I open my laptop to use it the trackpad takes a few seconds to respond and start working properly instead of being instantly responsive like it should be. what could be causing this?

What happens when your trackpad is unresponsive but you try to press a key, lets say, to increase brightness? Does that instantly work?

davebzak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
just tried it and increasing or decreasing the brightness also is frozen after opening the laptop for a few seconds, then it starts working.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted

Mine does the same. When I lift the lid open it takes about 5 seconds for me to be able to move cursor. I have a 2011 MBA.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Sounds like it could be the hard drive taking time to spin up. I have a SSD so I couldn't help you on that.

davebzak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
so this is most likely a hard drive issue that I would have to pay to get fixed? hopefully thats not the case because my hard drive was replaced soon after i bought the laptop when it was still under warranty, now it is not so Im sure it would cost a fortune to get anything repaired.

ds.

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Yea I agree with shardey on the hard drive. If it's only taking a few seconds to start working then I don't think it's a problem. It's just starting up and you can't being using it instantly. Like starting a car in winter.
Unless it was responsive instantaneous before an it recently started doing this I don't think it's out of the normal.

davebzak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
technically only taking a few seconds to start working doesn't really create a problem, but for a relatively new APPLE laptop.. this should not be happening. I have a macbook from 2007 that still works likes its supposed to while im having problems with the newest macbook pro. If anyone has any info on why this might be happening, it would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.