Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I tried to checkout a couple of books online from my local library. When I download them (using safari) I get an error saying that safari can't open the link. The library also offers a program called Overdrive to use for downloads, but it's also a media manager. I can't figure out how to get the ebook into iBooks, they stay in Overdrive.

I have a friend who upgraded from an iPad 1 and she can't download books either though she is getting a different error.

Ay ideas? This may be specific to my local library's site as well, but I am posting in hopes that others with the new iPad (or even iOS 5.1) have found the same issue.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I tried to checkout a couple of books online from my local library. When I download them (using safari) I get an error saying that safari can't open the link. The library also offers a program called Overdrive to use for downloads, but it's also a media manager. I can't figure out how to get the ebook into iBooks, they stay in Overdrive.

I have a friend who upgraded from an iPad 1 and she can't download books either though she is getting a different error.

Ay ideas? This may be specific to my local library's site as well, but I am posting in hopes that others with the new iPad (or even iOS 5.1) have found the same issue.

Download the App called Bluefire Reader. I use it to read my library books all the time, works like a charm.
For instructions on porting the ePubs from Library to Bluefire. (You cannot achieve this with the iBook App, just so you know):

http://www.bluefirereader.com/using-library-books.html

Edit: I prefer the more direct method, using my ipad. Guide can be found here:
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/2010/11/reading-library-ebooks-with-bluefire.html

Last edited:

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I just remembered another option, without going through Overdrive. If you log into your local public Library's Digital content, once you make your selection, go to Checkout>Download, just select the option to "open in...", as pictured below, and select "Bluefire Reader". I always use the Icab browser which supports downloads, and makes them easy to access:

354422369.jpeg

354422382.jpeg

Last edited:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I am finally getting a chance to try this. I downloaded Bluefire reader and still have Overdrive installed. I tried to checkout another book today. I'm still using Safari, and when I clicked on download I did get an "open" option but not "open in". When I clicked on open, it opened in Overdrive. Do I need to use iCab or something else to get the open in? Or can I make that work in safari still?

Thanks!

Last edited:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Library books are loaned to you to read with Overdrive. You can't just download them and read in another reader.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A while ago I noticed that my local library system now had eBooks available for loan, so I took some time to read their website information about the OverDrive system and then looked at the OverDrive site itself and realized that for whatever reason it was not going to work with my iPad or iPhone, so I discarded the idea very quickly. I am perfectly happy checking out physical books from the library and then anything i want to buy on my iPad, I do with either the iBooks app or Kindle app. OverDrive doesn't seem truly set up for Safari or for iOS devices, even though they mention the Mac in their promotional materials.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Library books are loaned to you to read with Overdrive. You can't just download them and read in another reader.

Seriously? My library site doesn't make that clear. They seemed to list Overdrive as more of an option. So you can't open them in iBooks at all?

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California

That's not strictly true. Because i don't like the interface of the Overdrive App, I have deleted their App off of my iPad. (Did this many months ago)I do the Library book search through my browser,(iCab) and when I add it to my basket, go to the download page, I can open it in any App that is compatible with the "Library" format - you can see this in my screenshots above. The "ACSM" file you see pictured, is an "epub" format library book.

----------

Seriously? My library site doesn't make that clear. They seemed to list Overdrive as more of an option. So you can't open them in iBooks at all?
Ibooks does not allow for this function, but there are other ereader apps that do. Bluefire for sure, and perhaps Bamreader too - as long as you have the App registered with your Adobe ID. And yes, Overdrive is an option, but definitely not mandatory.

Last edited:

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Bluefire App with Library book interface:

355030692.240529.jpg

What's also really useful, Bluefire is highly configurable with regard to interface. You can customize font, color, background etc.

Diane 143 - if you delete the Overdrive App, you will then get the popup menu option to "open in". Trust me, it is a far more enjoyable reading experience NOT to use their limited and restricting interface.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.