Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
jackrv
macrumors 6502

Using a separate GIT client with Xcode (or eclipse or anything else)

Hello,

I have a quick question for those who use Git repos and use a separate visual Git client such as SourceTree. This question is mainly for Xcode, but it really is just a workflow question, so it can also apply to Ecplise, or any other IDE.

Xcode 4 has Git integration, and Ecplise provides it with a plugin. What would be the best way to set up a project if I would be using a program like SourceTree to manage my copies of the repo? I would be working with both Xcode and Eclipse on different projects.

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:04 AM   #2
seepel
macrumors 6502

I haven't worked too much with eclipse, but I can give some info on how I use git with XCode. I generally use the command line to manage my branches (via the wonderful git-flow extension) and then manage my commits/pushes/pulls with XCode. I haven't seen a more beautiful diff since I discovered vimdiff.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:05 AM   #3
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrv View Post
Hello,

I have a quick question for those who use Git repos and use a separate visual Git client such as SourceTree. This question is mainly for Xcode, but it really is just a workflow question, so it can also apply to Ecplise, or any other IDE.

Xcode 4 has Git integration, and Ecplise provides it with a plugin. What would be the best way to set up a project if I would be using a program like SourceTree to manage my copies of the repo? I would be working with both Xcode and Eclipse on different projects.

Thanks
Eclipse since Indigo has included EGit, and can manage repos locally.
MorphingDragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
jackrv
macrumors 6502

Thanks to both of you!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:39 PM   #5
jackrv
macrumors 6502

Sorry, one more question.

I was looking at the Eclipse integration with Git, and have another workflow question. I am using www.bitbucket.com as my primary repo host. Should I create the project in the standard location (/Users/Documents/Workspace), then add that project to BitBucket, then clone that repo locally and work from that from that point on? I see an option to import from a Git repo, but not to create a project as a Git repo. I guess my question is how to get the project into Git in the first place. I've read how to create a repo and add files from the Git documentation, I'm just trying to figure out how it ties in with Eclipse. (XCode seems a bit easier)

Sorry if my questions seem really basic, I don't have much Version Control experience except for managing a Visual Source Safe system, and that was over 10 years ago.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
jackrv
macrumors 6502

Found the answer. New > Other > Git Repository. Then I can add that repo directly to BitBucket with SourceTree. Much easier than I thought!

Thanks for your help again!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming