Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Hello,

I have a quick question for those who use Git repos and use a separate visual Git client such as SourceTree. This question is mainly for Xcode, but it really is just a workflow question, so it can also apply to Ecplise, or any other IDE.

Xcode 4 has Git integration, and Ecplise provides it with a plugin. What would be the best way to set up a project if I would be using a program like SourceTree to manage my copies of the repo? I would be working with both Xcode and Eclipse on different projects.

Thanks

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I haven't worked too much with eclipse, but I can give some info on how I use git with XCode. I generally use the command line to manage my branches (via the wonderful git-flow extension) and then manage my commits/pushes/pulls with XCode. I haven't seen a more beautiful diff since I discovered vimdiff.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Hello,

I have a quick question for those who use Git repos and use a separate visual Git client such as SourceTree. This question is mainly for Xcode, but it really is just a workflow question, so it can also apply to Ecplise, or any other IDE.

Xcode 4 has Git integration, and Ecplise provides it with a plugin. What would be the best way to set up a project if I would be using a program like SourceTree to manage my copies of the repo? I would be working with both Xcode and Eclipse on different projects.

Thanks

Eclipse since Indigo has included EGit, and can manage repos locally.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Sorry, one more question.

I was looking at the Eclipse integration with Git, and have another workflow question. I am using http://www.bitbucket.com as my primary repo host. Should I create the project in the standard location (/Users/Documents/Workspace), then add that project to BitBucket, then clone that repo locally and work from that from that point on? I see an option to import from a Git repo, but not to create a project as a Git repo. I guess my question is how to get the project into Git in the first place. I've read how to create a repo and add files from the Git documentation, I'm just trying to figure out how it ties in with Eclipse. (XCode seems a bit easier)

Sorry if my questions seem really basic, I don't have much Version Control experience except for managing a Visual Source Safe system, and that was over 10 years ago. :eek:

Thanks!

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Found the answer. New > Other > Git Repository. Then I can add that repo directly to BitBucket with SourceTree. Much easier than I thought!

Thanks for your help again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.