Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

angry_birds_space_icon-150x150.jpg

Just days after the launch of Angry Birds Space, Rovio today announced via Twitter that the application has already seen ten million downloads. The game is topping Apple's paid and top-grossing charts for the App Store in countries around the world.
10 million Angry Birds Space downloads in less than 3 days! Thanks to our fans, stay tuned for more!
Even on the Mac platform, Angry Birds Space ranks as the #2 paid app behind OS X Lion and the #9 grossing app, appearing as the only non-Apple title on the latter list.

Angry Birds Space is available for iPhone/iPod touch ($0.99), iPad ($2.99), OS X ($4.99), Android, and PC.

Article Link: 'Angry Birds Space' Hits 10 Million Downloads

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Doesn't surprise me. The hype for this game was through the roof. It's not a bad game either.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I didn't think they could refresh the series, but they did! I love using the asteroids/planets gravity wells to direct my salvo of birds!

drumpat01

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2004
Denton, TX
And remember this game is free on Android so almost all their money from game sales is from Apple products. I wonder where their loyalties lie.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
AB:S really is a fantastic game; I mildly enjoyed the original AB game, with my interest waning to naught lately.

But I decided to give AB:S a try, and I'm like 45 levels into it already! This is a fantastic, intriguing, challenging refresh of the franchise with all its cuteness and just-once-more-I-can-do-better glory that draws us in!

And it's great that its made all its money on just the iOS version also; we show them that we are strong customers who should be treated with the utmost care and respect!

chucknelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Charlotte, NC
And it's great that its made all its money on just the iOS version also; we show them that we are strong customers who should be treated with the utmost care and respect!

I would say that they are treating their iOS customers with *less* respect when you look at how they are packaging the game. No universal app, which is a jerk move to begin with to get just a bit more money, and then they limit included levels and join in on the "you must buy every little chunk of gameplay" tactic.

Some of this would be OK with a "freemium" model, but the fact that they are treating the game like paid shareware is pretty gross if you ask me. Plenty of reviews on the app store agree.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Pretty cool game. I was never a fan of Angry Birds, but I downloaded the space one on my new iPad and love it. I am trying not to get addicted though.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I was considering this, but I wasn't too sure. Sounds like it must be good. I played the first Angry Birds to death.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Well, it would then seem that it is our responsibility to collectively make our voices heard to Rovio, no? They at least know that we contribute to their pocket money in a big way.

I would say that they are treating their iOS customers with *less* respect when you look at how they are packaging the game. No universal app, which is a jerk move to begin with to get just a bit more money, and then they limit included levels and join in on the "you must buy every little chunk of gameplay" tactic.

Some of this would be OK with a "freemium" model, but the fact that they are treating the game like paid shareware is pretty gross if you ask me. Plenty of reviews on the app store agree.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I didn't buy it because I don't buy non-universal apps. Why are they nickle and diming us iOS users and giving to Android users for free?

Because they know iOS users actually pay for content?

(Not a slam against Android - just look up numbers that any multi-platform developer has released.).

They charge $X because they know we will pay $X.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Because they know iOS users actually pay for content?

(Not a slam against Android - just look up numbers that any multi-platform developer has released.).

They charge $X because they know we will pay $X.

Fair enough, and like most iOS users, I don't have a problem paying, I just don't want to have to buy 2 versions of the same game.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I really like Angry birds Space. The only grudge i have is that when i finished the second planet it let me play one mission of the third planet and then asked me if i wanted to buy the rest of the missions. I mean i already payed extra for the iPad version what gives :(.

Well at least i hope that the planet marked "coming soon" will be a free update :).

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
I didn't buy it because I don't buy non-universal apps. Why are they nickle and diming us iOS users and giving to Android users for free?
Trying to think of a better reason than "because they can" ... not having much success.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
They have been asleep for the longest time, games like Words and Draw Something rolled thru and filled the void. Now Rovio wants their crown back.

The way they are marketing this version is annoying though. Buy the game, then only give us half? I wouldn't consider this DLC, I would consider this paying more for the rest of the game. Kinda like getting halfway thru Battlefield3 or Skyrim and seeing a message pop up that says "To finish the game, deposit $5".

That being said, I hope they make some changes. I bought it for the Mac and noticed it didn't ask me to spend more for a new planet. Maybe thats iOS-specific? My only gripe with the Mac version I have is the pause swipe is too sensitive. Swiping up with 2 fingers briefly brings up the pause menu, then it immediately takes me to the level select screen. So restarting a level is a royal PITA. Its a billion times better using a mouse with a scroll wheel.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Do people really not understand how their business model works?

They have a free version on both platforms, the free versions are just ad supported. They're still making their money, just not from you.

The paid version is simply "play the game without ads". And people complaining about a universal app, really? Are people this cheap and entitled they can't spend a couple of extra bucks when they spent probably a lot more then on it?

People are so cheap these days, spend $200-$800 on something and expect everything to be handed to you on it. And if you don't like it, just don't buy it.

Really show Rovio who's boss, don't give them 99 cents, hit them where it hurts!

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Fair enough, and like most iOS users, I don't have a problem paying, I just don't want to have to buy 2 versions of the same game.

Actually, it's worse than just two copies; the game has moved closer to the dreaded "freemium" model.

The eagle (which has been a 1-time purchase with unlimited use in previous Angry Birds games) now only grants a limited number of uses, requiring you to spend money on it over and over if you use it a lot.
Plus, instead of simply "waiting" for levels to be unlocked or added, you can simply buy them as well.

So you buy the iPhone/iPod one, then pay again to get it non-scaled on iPad, then pay for Eagles (with both versions) pay to unlock levels (both versions), and then you still get to look at ads when you pause the game.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Well, it would then seem that it is our responsibility to collectively make our voices heard to Rovio, no? They at least know that we contribute to their pocket money in a big way.

This is an irritation to me (the whole free on Android, paid on iOS), which is why I voted it 1 star and will continue until they get the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.