Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
BloombergTrader
macrumors newbie

Books for iPad 3 iBooks Kindle App

How is the best way to get books on the iPad 3?

Use iBooks or Kindle, or both?

Thanks!
BloombergTrader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
tekchic
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to tekchic
Depends on where you want your library to be. For my paid books, I use Kindle app. For books I already had open-source epub copies of, I use iBooks. iBooks is generally my go-to reader, but I keep all my paid books on one library (Kindle).

I've also noticed that sometimes the Kindle versions are $1 cheaper than the iBooks version. I still prefer the iBooks app to the Kindle app (I think it syncs better), but I use both on a daily basis.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

They are equally strong as apps.
iBooks is more native to the os.
As far as content goes, I would never purchase a book from iTunes because of the price fixing Stevie initiated.
I basically use iBooks for PDFs and ePubs that I side load.
Kindle is awesome if you have Kindle content.
It will synch with all your other Kindle devices.
Zimmy68 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
connoisseur
macrumors member

i HAVE The new ipad as well
i havent been able to add my personal collection of epub books to ibooks it crashes itunes every time .
purchased books from ibooks store works only

are their any other good epub book reader apps for the new ipad
connoisseur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:27 PM   #5
whtrbt7
macrumors 6502a

I use a combination of iBooks for free epubs and Kindle for paid. I have some books from the iBookstore but not very many. Overall, it's been seamless in terms of reading experience. If you're reading PDFs, I would say try Quickoffice or PDFExpert since they load faster.
whtrbt7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:38 PM   #6
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Same as the two users above: iBooks for free/PD ePubs, PDFs, and all of our paid content is from Amazon, so we use the Kindle app.

The PD ePub search app I use can actually load the download into iBooks or Kindle, so I suppose I could centralize into the Kindle app.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:41 PM   #7
urkel
macrumors 68020

I would prefer to be an iBooks person but in the end I have to follow selection, prices and versatility (no iBooks app for OSX).
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Lamarak
macrumors 6502

I use ibooks, kindle and nook app. They all work fine on the ipad. Sometimes i get gift certificates at my work for barnes and noble, sell stuff to amazon market place and use that for books, use ibooks mostly for pdf reading.

Just saying in todays online world, no reason not to use all.. Sometimes can save good money if watch for deals at all the sites.
Lamarak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
stephg
macrumors member

I use the iBooks, Kindle, and Nook apps, also. I prefer the look of iBooks, but sometimes there are books you can't get there. It doesn't matter to me if my purchases are in different apps. I'd rather have them all in iBooks, but it just doesn't always work out.
stephg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad