Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I am trying to decide if it's better to buy an blu-ray reader or burner for my MBP. My goal it to rip my blu-ray library for use with an ATV 3.

External readers are much cheaper, and from my understanding, can be used to rip blu-rays into MKVs now. What other advantages are there of purchasing one with burning capability besides extra backup storage?

Just want to make sure I'm making an informed decision.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am trying to decide if it's better to buy an blu-ray reader or burner for my MBP. My goal it to rip my blu-ray library for use with an ATV 3.

External readers are much cheaper, and from my understanding, can be used to rip blu-rays into MKVs now. What other advantages are there of purchasing one with burning capability besides extra backup storage?
I wouldn't recommend using DVDs as backup media. Use an external hard drive or SSD for that. The only value in having a burner is to burn DVDs to play in DVD players.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

My understand is that MakeMKV, which you'll need on your Mac to rip Blu Rays, requires a burner, rather than a reader. I have no idea why, or whether this has changed in recent versions, but it was the case when I got mine (about 2 years ago).

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
My understand is that MakeMKV, which you'll need on your Mac to rip Blu Rays, requires a burner, rather than a reader. I have no idea why, or whether this has changed in recent versions, but it was the case when I got mine (about 2 years ago).

Currently, it is not required to have a Blu-Ray burner to rip via MakeMKV. I have an Asus reader and it works perfectly.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Mine doesn't write blu rays but it does write dvds.

I'm pretty sure that all blu ray read drives write to DVD.

You do not need a blu ray drive that both reads/writes in order to rip (makeMKV).

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
As others have said, buy a blu-ray reader. A BR writer is an unnecessary added expense, seeing that you don't need it when using MakeMKV. I purchased a Samsung blu-ray drive and it performs well. Just pick up whatever's on sale at NewEgg that is well-reviewed.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
To clarify my comment above, MakeMKV used to require a Blu Ray drive that could at least write DVDs. It was not necessary for it to be able to write BDs.

If this has changed, that's a good thing.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
thanks everyone for your help. for those ripping blu-rays, what would you recommend speed-wise?

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona

I'm seeing no appreciable price difference between the two. Just grab an external burner and you're covered no matter that -- I bought an LG Super Multi Blue from Fry's Electronics for $85-90 a few months back. It's probably even cheaper now.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I'm seeing no appreciable price difference between the two. Just grab an external burner and you're covered no matter that -- I bought an LG Super Multi Blue from Fry's Electronics for $85-90 a few months back. It's probably even cheaper now.

Fry's has that one for $140 now-- you got a good deal.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Fry's has that one for $140 now-- you got a good deal.

Yikes! Well now you know NOT to buy it for $140. When it goes on sale and drops under $100, it will be safe for you to pounce. (Or get a comparable model from another manufacturer if the price is right.)

I can vouch that the LG multi has worked 100% flawlessly in every respect since I got it. I mainly use it for ripping blu-rays.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
this one seems like a good deal:

SAMSUNG USB 2.0 External Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151251

That's what I got last week. I bought it for $119.99 but was able to get Newegg to give me a price adjustment so I'm happy with $99.99

I've ripped three Blu-Ray discs so far, no problem. I really like the drive as it doesn't require a dedicated AC adapter, and you don't even need to plug both of the USB ports in order to get it to work.

I use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray, then use Handbrake to transcode. It takes 1.5 to 2 hours to rip, than another 1.5 to 2 hours to transcode on my 2011 iMac i7. Being able to watch HD contents via my ATV3 is a joy.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
That's what I got last week. I bought it for $119.99 but was able to get Newegg to give me a price adjustment so I'm happy with $99.99

I've ripped three Blu-Ray discs so far, no problem. I really like the drive as it doesn't require a dedicated AC adapter, and you don't even need to plug both of the USB ports in order to get it to work.

I use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray, then use Handbrake to transcode. It takes 1.5 to 2 hours to rip, than another 1.5 to 2 hours to transcode on my 2011 iMac i7. Being able to watch HD contents via my ATV3 is a joy.

Exactly what I needed to hear-- just placed my order! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.