Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Molopo
macrumors regular

iphone 3gs accidentally upgraded to 5.1!! Help please, sim tray may also be broken?

Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 3.1.2 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!!
Molopo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Molopo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molopo View Post
Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 3.1.2 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!!
Question: how might I downgrade to firmware 5.0.1? I am pretty sure I have the SHSH blobs for 3.1.2, is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.2? then upgrade to 5.0.1? Thanks...
Molopo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:16 AM   #3
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Well, first, you cannot accidentally update any iPhone's firmware.
Very hard to diagnose hardware issues, have you though about restoring it to stock and taking it to the Apple store to let them check it (If you have an Apple Store available)

----------

Quote:
Question: how might I downgrade to firmware 5.0.1? I am pretty sure I have the SHSH blobs for 3.1.2, is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.2? then upgrade to 5.0.1? Thanks...
If you have both hash and APTicket files for 5.0.1, you can restore to 5.0.1

If you did not save these, (it is too late to do so) you can only restore to current firmware, 5.1

Read this

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
EngageWithRage
macrumors 6502

http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-...d-touch-guide/

http://bit.ly/GXvD3V
EngageWithRage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Molopo
macrumors regular

So I cannot go from 5.1 -> 3.1.2 even though I have SHSH blobs saved? I definitely do not have the 5.0.1 hash and APTicket saved, as the phone was upgraded directly from 3.1.2 -> 5.1. Is there any possible way to unlock it at this point? Perhaps by using a custom firmware?

The phone was not updated by me. I left explicit instructions to a friend whom I sold the phone to that it was not to be updated or restored at all unless I did it. The phone froze and my friend didn't know any better but to try to restore it. Ergo I "accidentally" upgraded the firmware.

EDIT: @EngageWithRage: is downgrading to a different firmware from 5.0.1 the same as downgrading from 5.1? Also, I've already tried everything that came up on google upon searching "no sim card error iphone 3gs".

Last edited by Molopo; Mar 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Molopo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #6
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

you can not downgrade any 5.x FW at the moment.

its near impossible to 'accidently' upgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
you can not downgrade any 5.x FW at the moment.

its near impossible to 'accidently' upgrade.
Oh come on, it happen in here all the time...

(best one so far I've ever read was the maid one, that upgraded the poster phone LOL)
maturola is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:18 PM   #8
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturola View Post

(best one so far I've ever read was the maid one, that upgraded the poster phone LOL)
oh i know, i just like to call them out atleast. and i remember that post! lol
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:04 PM   #9
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
So I cannot go from 5.1 -> 3.1.2 even though I have SHSH blobs saved? I definitely do not have the 5.0.1 hash and APTicket saved, as the phone was upgraded directly from 3.1.2 -> 5.1. Is there any possible way to unlock it at this point? Perhaps by using a custom firmware?

The phone was not updated by me. I left explicit instructions to a friend whom I sold the phone to that it was not to be updated or restored at all unless I did it. The phone froze and my friend didn't know any better but to try to restore it. Ergo I "accidentally" upgraded the firmware.

EDIT: @EngageWithRage: is downgrading to a different firmware from 5.0.1 the same as downgrading from 5.1? Also, I've already tried everything that came up on google upon searching "no sim card error iphone 3gs".
Yes, you can downgrade to 3.1.2, but not back to 5.0.1.
Ultrasn0w will unlock it with iPad baseband on 3.1.2
Also remember, Apple signs 4.1 for 3GS still, so that is an option (Ultrasn0w also will work on 4.1).

Remember, you must make a custom restore IPSW and use it because you have the iPad baseband

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Molopo
macrumors regular

Well folks, here's what I've done so far and still there is no service on this phone:

(06.15.00 baseband, new bootrom (serial number starting w/ 87943))

-Downgraded to stock 4.1, jailbroke with redsn0w, installed ultrasn0w -> nothing. "no service" or "searching" with a t-mobile.

-Downgraded to custom 4.1 made with sn0wbreeze, jailbroke + unlocked same as above. still "no service" or "searching" with a t-mobile sim card.

-Installed ultrasn0w on a 5.1 stock (but jailbroken) phone using the ultrasn0w fixer and ultrasn0w 1.2.5, did not work.

At this point I suspect that it is in fact a hardware defect. The sim tray was clearly "manhandled" when it had been returned to me for repairs, and the pop-up function allowing you to simply insert a pin into the sim tray to get it out had been snapped off. Also, the sim tray no longer detects when the sim card has been removed (i.e. there is no pop up indicating when the sim tray is not installed in the phone). Can anyone possibly confirm that there is nothing else that I could try? Thank you.
Molopo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Try reflashing the iPad bb again with redsnow.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
NiftyMac
macrumors newbie

Try what the user above suggested, it should fix your issues as this has happened to me quite a few times.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:59 PM   #13
labman
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturola View Post

Didn't we have a guy that claimed his dog did it to. However the maid should be in the best of for sure.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:10 PM   #14
BlueRaider
macrumors regular

Have you verified that the 3GS is a new BootROM and requires SHSH Blobs? There are lots of ways to check, the serial number being the easiest but least precise. ih8sn0w has a tool you can download for checking. If you were jailbroken on 3.1.2 it's likely you have blobs saved for every firmware since 3.1.2 if you opened Cydia occasionally and can downgrade to any of them.

Keep in mind that every time you try to flash the iPad baseband to your phone you risk bricking it. I would suggest restoring to as many custom firmware versions as you can via Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze, preferably starting with 4.1 since its still being signed, installing ultrasn0w and seeing if you can get any service before re-flashing. It sounds as if your sim tray is the problem and not the firmware or unlock.

Also keep in mind that since your stuck with the iPad baseband the phone can't be returned (if it was on 3.1.2 it's likely too old anyways).
AppleTv 2

Last edited by BlueRaider; Apr 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
BlueRaider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:51 AM   #15
sankey78
macrumors newbie

please help me to fix my problem

Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 5.0.1 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!
sankey78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:45 AM   #16
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankey78 View Post
Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 5.0.1 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!
Ultrasn0w has not been updated to work with 5.1 firmware.
You should have stayed at 5.0.1

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #17
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankey78 View Post
Kinda weird that you and the OP have the exact same problem and worded it the same exact way.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:31 PM   #18
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
This might work, it seems to be for your exact situation and there is a pretty specific series of steps to get 5.1, Utrasn0w Fixer+Ultrasn0w, and iPad baseband working:

http://iwebspacea.blogspot.in/2012/0...on-iphone.html

If you have a new bootrom 3GS, then it will be a tethered jailbreak. If you have an older 3GS with old bootrom, then you would have a untethered 5.1 jailbreak.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:47 PM   #19
heyyitzmelissa
Banned

I wonder how someone sits through a 900MB update by accident
heyyitzmelissa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Old Smuggler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyitzmelissa View Post
you beat me to the post
my thoughts exactly
Old Smuggler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:42 PM   #21
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyitzmelissa View Post
iTunes may have downloaded the update in the background automatically (I think it can?) Then a dialogue box pops up, you don't really read it and hit okay, and the next think you know you got that progress bar going on your phone.

Something like that I guess. It happens.
madmaxmedia is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Randeho
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Try reflashing the iPad bb again with redsnow.
Thanks, For the tip. I received a 3GS that was updated to 5.1 with the ipad baseband.

I re-flashed it and installed this repo via cydia (repo.iparelhos.com) and installed the ulstrasn0w fix for 5.1 then installed unltrasn0w 1.2.5.

After that I have that amazing T-Mobile signal again.

Thanks again for the idea. I was lost for a minute.
Randeho is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks