Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molopo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 3.1.2 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!!

Molopo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 3.1.2 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!!

Question: how might I downgrade to firmware 5.0.1? I am pretty sure I have the SHSH blobs for 3.1.2, is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.2? then upgrade to 5.0.1? Thanks...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Well, first, you cannot accidentally update any iPhone's firmware.
Very hard to diagnose hardware issues, have you though about restoring it to stock and taking it to the Apple store to let them check it (If you have an Apple Store available)

----------

Question: how might I downgrade to firmware 5.0.1? I am pretty sure I have the SHSH blobs for 3.1.2, is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.2? then upgrade to 5.0.1? Thanks...

If you have both hash and APTicket files for 5.0.1, you can restore to 5.0.1

If you did not save these, (it is too late to do so) you can only restore to current firmware, 5.1

Read this

Molopo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
So I cannot go from 5.1 -> 3.1.2 even though I have SHSH blobs saved? I definitely do not have the 5.0.1 hash and APTicket saved, as the phone was upgraded directly from 3.1.2 -> 5.1. Is there any possible way to unlock it at this point? Perhaps by using a custom firmware?

The phone was not updated by me. I left explicit instructions to a friend whom I sold the phone to that it was not to be updated or restored at all unless I did it. The phone froze and my friend didn't know any better but to try to restore it. Ergo I "accidentally" upgraded the firmware.

EDIT: @EngageWithRage: is downgrading to a different firmware from 5.0.1 the same as downgrading from 5.1? Also, I've already tried everything that came up on google upon searching "no sim card error iphone 3gs".

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
So I cannot go from 5.1 -> 3.1.2 even though I have SHSH blobs saved? I definitely do not have the 5.0.1 hash and APTicket saved, as the phone was upgraded directly from 3.1.2 -> 5.1. Is there any possible way to unlock it at this point? Perhaps by using a custom firmware?

The phone was not updated by me. I left explicit instructions to a friend whom I sold the phone to that it was not to be updated or restored at all unless I did it. The phone froze and my friend didn't know any better but to try to restore it. Ergo I "accidentally" upgraded the firmware.

EDIT: @EngageWithRage: is downgrading to a different firmware from 5.0.1 the same as downgrading from 5.1? Also, I've already tried everything that came up on google upon searching "no sim card error iphone 3gs".

Yes, you can downgrade to 3.1.2, but not back to 5.0.1.
Ultrasn0w will unlock it with iPad baseband on 3.1.2
Also remember, Apple signs 4.1 for 3GS still, so that is an option (Ultrasn0w also will work on 4.1).

Remember, you must make a custom restore IPSW and use it because you have the iPad baseband

Molopo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Well folks, here's what I've done so far and still there is no service on this phone:

(06.15.00 baseband, new bootrom (serial number starting w/ 87943))

-Downgraded to stock 4.1, jailbroke with redsn0w, installed ultrasn0w -> nothing. "no service" or "searching" with a t-mobile.

-Downgraded to custom 4.1 made with sn0wbreeze, jailbroke + unlocked same as above. still "no service" or "searching" with a t-mobile sim card.

-Installed ultrasn0w on a 5.1 stock (but jailbroken) phone using the ultrasn0w fixer and ultrasn0w 1.2.5, did not work.

At this point I suspect that it is in fact a hardware defect. The sim tray was clearly "manhandled" when it had been returned to me for repairs, and the pop-up function allowing you to simply insert a pin into the sim tray to get it out had been snapped off. Also, the sim tray no longer detects when the sim card has been removed (i.e. there is no pop up indicating when the sim tray is not installed in the phone). Can anyone possibly confirm that there is nothing else that I could try? Thank you.

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Have you verified that the 3GS is a new BootROM and requires SHSH Blobs? There are lots of ways to check, the serial number being the easiest but least precise. ih8sn0w has a tool you can download for checking. If you were jailbroken on 3.1.2 it's likely you have blobs saved for every firmware since 3.1.2 if you opened Cydia occasionally and can downgrade to any of them.

Keep in mind that every time you try to flash the iPad baseband to your phone you risk bricking it. I would suggest restoring to as many custom firmware versions as you can via Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze, preferably starting with 4.1 since its still being signed, installing ultrasn0w and seeing if you can get any service before re-flashing. It sounds as if your sim tray is the problem and not the firmware or unlock.

Also keep in mind that since your stuck with the iPad baseband the phone can't be returned (if it was on 3.1.2 it's likely too old anyways).

Last edited:

sankey78

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
please help me to fix my problem

Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 5.0.1 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi, I accidentally updated my iPhone 3gs from 5.0.1 (unlocked) to 5.1. After this, I jail broke using redsn0w and tried to unlock with the ultrasn0w/fixer, but i keep getting searching/no signal. Also, under the "about" screen in system prefs, it says "No SIM" under the ICCID. Modem firmware is 06.15.00. I have a feeling that the sim contacts may be broken or something (a friend of mine was trying to fix it and i think he may have somehow broken the sim contacts.) If this is not it, then what is the problem? Thanks for any and all help!

Ultrasn0w has not been updated to work with 5.1 firmware.
You should have stayed at 5.0.1

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Kinda weird that you and the OP have the exact same problem and worded it the same exact way.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder how someone sits through a 900MB update by accident

iTunes may have downloaded the update in the background automatically (I think it can?) Then a dialogue box pops up, you don't really read it and hit okay, and the next think you know you got that progress bar going on your phone. ;)

Something like that I guess. It happens.

Randeho

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
Try reflashing the iPad bb again with redsnow.

Thanks, For the tip. I received a 3GS that was updated to 5.1 with the ipad baseband.

I re-flashed it and installed this repo via cydia (repo.iparelhos.com) and installed the ulstrasn0w fix for 5.1 then installed unltrasn0w 1.2.5.

After that I have that amazing T-Mobile signal again.

Thanks again for the idea. I was lost for a minute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.