Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
wy2sl0
macrumors newbie

Anyone else running a 240gb Classic?

I just bought one online and it is on its way. It is essentially just a 7G with a 240GB Samsung drive, and the proper 240GB marking on the case. It uses a 5g case on the back since the 240gb drive is larger.

Pretty excited to be able to fit all of my music on there. Big question is, if anyone has one, which case do they use?

EDIT Mar 29/12: Updating this post with pictures and initial thoughts.

First impressions; Comes in a thin plastic box with bubble wrap. Much like a refurbished item it has a few minor cosmetic blemishes. Nothing on the screen. The clickwheel has a minor abrasion, and the side has a scratch. 9/10 Physically. The hard drive clicks slightly like my old 160GB. This isn't a problem for me as I will be leaving it in my car. It is also noticeably lighter than my old 160GB - I don't know if HDD technology is the main factor, or the casing used is chinese thin aluminum. It looks exactly like a genuine iPod. I find the clickwheel to be less responsive than I remember it. Again, I am not sure if this the way the 7th gen's are known or what - maybe it is a knockoff clickwheel. After I used it for awhile we will see if this is an issue or just my initial thoughts being wrong.

It was running the latest OS version, and had been restored ready for a new user. It came supplied with a USB cable and set of headphones.

I haven't had a chance to use it really, it is still syncing with my library so I will update well say in a week or so.

Overall I am pleased considering it is essentially 50% larger than the 160gb Ipod for the same price. Oh and P.S, I paid no duty or taxes and it left China on Monday - so I received it in 4 days. Impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	333046   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	333047   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	333048  

Last edited by wy2sl0; Mar 29, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
wy2sl0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
jr.macintosh
macrumors member

yea i saw one online but i didn't trust it...
Link?
jr.macintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:25 PM   #3
wy2sl0
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.macintosh View Post
yea i saw one online but i didn't trust it...
Link?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/260848944774?...84.m1497.l2649

Head Fi forums had a few people buy them and say good things so I took the plunge.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Spikestrip
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2sl0 View Post
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/260848944774?...84.m1497.l2649

Head Fi forums had a few people buy them and say good things so I took the plunge.
I'd love to hear what you think of it. Post pics and anything else you can when you get it, please!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
wy2sl0
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikestrip View Post
I'd love to hear what you think of it. Post pics and anything else you can when you get it, please!
Will do. I will post pics when I receive it, and give a short review.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:58 PM   #6
jr.macintosh
macrumors member

is it just the upgrade kit or is it the ipod with an upgrade in it
jr.macintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2sl0 View Post
Will do. I will post pics when I receive it, and give a short review.
Would love to hear what you have to say about it. Have you received it yet?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
wy2sl0
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuperSteve View Post
Would love to hear what you have to say about it. Have you received it yet?
Not yet. I am counting the days hehe.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Rawkfist
macrumors regular

I want to hear how this works out too. I have been debating with my inner cheapskate about trying one from RapidRepair. They get $400.00 for a 240gb gen. 7 with a 90 day warranty. They also offer modded 5 and 5.5 gen. units. I appreciate you being our consumer reports person. If I decide to turn loose of some money on one I will return the favor.
Rawkfist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:35 PM   #10
wy2sl0
macrumors newbie

Pics and first impressions added to the OP.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Rawkfist
macrumors regular

Looks like an iPod! Thanks for the update.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Spikestrip
macrumors member

By appearance alone it would certainly fool the Apple employees, except for the size marking. Thanks for sharing! I'd actually consider getting one now.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:01 AM   #13
SteelWheel
macrumors member

Yeah, I got mine from Rapid Repair also, a couple of years ago. Works great, no complaints. If you're like me, and just haven't totally bought into the whole "cloud" thing, I can recommend it without reservation.

Funny thing about mine: Rapid apparently puts these things together out of whatever iPod parts they have around. When I hook up my black-bezeled 240 GB to sync, it shows up as a white-bezeled model. I kind of don't mind actually. All my other Classics are black, so this way I have an immediate visual cue so I can be sure which one is which.
SteelWheel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Rawkfist
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWheel View Post
Yeah, I got mine from Rapid Repair also, a couple of years ago. Works great, no complaints. If you're like me, and just haven't totally bought into the whole "cloud" thing, I can recommend it without reservation.

Funny thing about mine: Rapid apparently puts these things together out of whatever iPod parts they have around. When I hook up my black-bezeled 240 GB to sync, it shows up as a white-bezeled model. I kind of don't mind actually. All my other Classics are black, so this way I have an immediate visual cue so I can be sure which one is which.
Which generation is your RapidRepair Classic? Part of me wants a 5th or 5.5 because they sound better to me and part wants a 7th because of better support parts-wise and iTunes support for the newer unit. Or do I worry too much?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Cynikal.Mindset
macrumors 6502a

I ordered the 160gb upgrade kit from this ebay seller along with a full housing kit with click wheel to revamp a sketchy 80gb classic, I thought long and hard about buying the 240gb since the price is so good but I figure 160gb is more than enough space and the price to upgrade and essentially refurbish my 80gb ($100) was a better deal at this time.
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 05:41 PM   #16
SteelWheel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Which generation is your RapidRepair Classic? Part of me wants a 5th or 5.5 because they sound better to me and part wants a 7th because of better support parts-wise and iTunes support for the newer unit. Or do I worry too much?
I think you worry too much

Seriously though, mine was either a 5 or 5.5--can't easily check it right now, since it's buried in one of my suitcases atm. If I had to bet, I'd say it was the plain vanilla 5th gen.
SteelWheel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:58 AM   #17
tsandrew
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Nahhh... I think you're absolutely right. Also an added feature of the 7th Gen is the Genius feature - which can certainly help if you have 240GB of music to manage!!

I recently started a small business specifically making 240GB 7th Generation iPod Classics, so I do have a motive. I use all new parts, and I've been selling them on eBay (user ID tsandrew).

One of my friends is selling one for me here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151005209820...84.m1438.l2649

Hopefully you'll get a shot at that one before it sells.

I'll be selling more soon, but if you'd like to arrange a cheaper deal outside of eBay definitely let me know, either here or by email: newt.tsai at gmail.

Cheers! Hope that helped.
tsandrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:10 PM   #18
jlm86
macrumors newbie

Where do I buy one?

----------

Does this have upgraded DAC?

----------

jlm86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:53 AM   #19
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post
Where do I buy one?

----------

----------

You aren't going to find one with a upgraded DAC because the DAC is part of the logic board and it would take some serious skill to swap it out and probably a firmware change in which the classic's firmware is encrypted.

I put a 240GB in the 5th gen and use it to display video on my TV. Unfortunately the transfer speed is pretty slow in iTunes, I'm not sure why this is.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod