Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

Anybody having problems with MAIL?

So, to better understand my Apple Mail problems under Mountain Lion DP2, here is how my perfectly working email is set up under LION:

I have a Mac Mail account as a primary account set up under iCloud.

However, since I have a more prominent email address with Verizon, I send all my mail out through my Verizon SMTP address. Works perfectly.

You would think that once I upgraded to Mountain Lion DP2, all my settings would successfully translate over to the new Apple Mail and that everything should work.

Not so.

I was able to receive my mail fine. Problem was sending. Every time I replied to an email, I got an error about TLS and a port address. Wished I had copied and pasted the entire message.

Anyhow, went to Verizon Fios' website and made certain I had port addresses correct for their SMTP account, but alas, mail would not send out.

In the end, I took out Mountain Lion DP2 and restored my drive to Lion.

It's a shame because DP2 looked to be very stable and all my applications seemed to work fine under it including Photoshop CS2 and Snapz X Pro.

Anyone have similar problems with email?
NJRonbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
maflynn

Did you file a bug report with apple and/or view the discussion forum over there to see if other developers are having that issue?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:04 AM   #3
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Did you file a bug report with apple and/or view the discussion forum over there to see if other developers are having that issue?
Yes, thus far, no response.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
Yes, thus far, no response.
Apple doesn't respond back immediately to bug reports and even then, they may not request additional information. I can't answer about the forums but if you've reached out, then you've done all you can to communicate to apple
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:10 AM   #5
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

I'm certain of that.

...however, just reaching out to the members here to see if anyone had any similar problems or perhaps something I am doing wrong on my end.

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:25 AM   #6
maflynn

NDAs may hamper a number of folks who have ML and will reply, but then again this forum seems fairly active.

Good luck
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #7
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816

ML is in its first developer release. It's unavoidable that there will be bugs. It is unwise to change over an essential machine to it; I hope that's not what you tried to do.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

It was my intention to do just that based on a few success stories I have read with the DP working perfectly.

In my case, everything worked smoothly for me except for email, which remarkably, did not seem to be an issue for anyone else.

I did a full backup so I was easily able to restore my system without any problems.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:20 AM   #9
maflynn

Quote:
based on a few success stories I have read with the DP working perfectly.
I've read the opposite. While very stable for a DP, its not ready for prime time. Safari issues, stability, various app compatibility problems all ensure that this OS is good for testing but I would not recommend in place of your main system for every day usage
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:57 AM   #10
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

Guess it proves that mileage will vary.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
So, to better understand my Apple Mail problems under Mountain Lion DP2, here is how my perfectly working email is set up under LION:

I have a Mac Mail account as a primary account set up under iCloud.

However, since I have a more prominent email address with Verizon, I send all my mail out through my Verizon SMTP address. Works perfectly.

You would think that once I upgraded to Mountain Lion DP2, all my settings would successfully translate over to the new Apple Mail and that everything should work.

Not so.

I was able to receive my mail fine. Problem was sending. Every time I replied to an email, I got an error about TLS and a port address. Wished I had copied and pasted the entire message.

Anyhow, went to Verizon Fios' website and made certain I had port addresses correct for their SMTP account, but alas, mail would not send out.

In the end, I took out Mountain Lion DP2 and restored my drive to Lion.

It's a shame because DP2 looked to be very stable and all my applications seemed to work fine under it including Photoshop CS2 and Snapz X Pro.

Anyone have similar problems with email?
since Mac Mail is apple software im sure they would be working on the problem, correct me if im wrong but wouldnt a DP mean its to preview for developers to test on thing they develop? or are developers suppose to test for other developers as well?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion