Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Scottyee
macrumors regular

Unhappy Help: Problem Converting DVD Movies (copy protected) to iPad with Handbrake & VLC

I own a sizeable DVD movie collection and would like to convert
them to watch on my new iPad 3.

My non-copy protected DVDs are converting fine with HandBrake, but it appears the copy protected ones aren't.

As I'm running Windows XP on my PC, I installed the 32 bit version of:
Handbrake 0.9.6 and VLC media player 2.0.1.
I'm able to play the original copy protected DVD in VLC media Player.
I then launch Handbrake and it appears to successfully scan my DVD
and adds the DVD to the convert Queue. I then select 'iPad' as
the device and press start. Upon completion, when
I attempt to play the 2.5 Gb MP4 file in Quicktime, all I see is a distorted 'still' image and extremely garbled audio as well.
I tried to convert other commercial (copy protected?) DVD movies in Handbrake but got the same results.

Am I missing a step in getting VLC to work with Handbrake, of which I assume required to help overcome commercial DVD copy protection?
Do I need to launch VLC and keep it running while running Handbrake, or do I need to intially process the DVD in VLC first, and then convert in Handbrake?
I'm totally confused.

If I can't get this to work, I'm going to have to consider purchasing a 3rd Party Paid DVD to iPad software converter program instead.
Which one(s) do others here use and/or best recommend?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Scott

Last edited by Scottyee; Mar 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Scottyee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Scottyee
macrumors regular

Smile

hmmm, not a single reply.

That said, after some searching I was finally able to find the solution to not being able to convert my (copy protected) DVD movie collection using Handbrake and VLC Media Player. Apparently the problem was with VLC
as I've now discovered and installed another free program called "DVD43" that did the trick.
After you insert a DVD into your PC, "DVD43" automatically detects and decrypts the DVD 'on the fly'
so Handbrake can then successfully convert it to an MP4 file.
It's working Great !
Scottyee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
King Ahab
macrumors newbie

Great information. Thanks
King Ahab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:48 PM   #4
maviscy
macrumors newbie

Decrypt DVD is really a nuisance. I prefer to use the software to grab video from DVD. It is able to record screen video as its original and convert it to various formats.
maviscy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
jstbu
macrumors newbie

Handbrake won't recognize VLC

I have been using Handbrake for awhile, no problems. About two weeks ago, Handbrake told me I didn't have VLC installed, which of course I do, I was even open. A few days after that my MBP took a dump, seems my OS was corrupted. Visited the Genius Bar, got some bad advice, went to a different Apple Store, am up and running. I had to re-install Handbrake, VLC and MetaX, so all are the latest. Handbrake still says I don't have VLC installed, even though it is installed and running. Any thoughts?

I live in a motorhome, and depend on my own movie/TV collection often, as internet is often not available, and neither is satellite.
jstbu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting