Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:53 PM   #26
Snowy_River
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
Okay, so I have a set in hard cover that I spent well over $100 for when they came out, I have a set in paperback that I spent over $50 for (easier when traveling), I have all of the Jim Dale audio books that I spent over $200 for, and now I'm asked to spend an additional $50+ for the ebook versions?

I think I'll stick with the typos... They don't bother me that much.
Snowy_River is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:05 PM   #27
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I just bought the set and downloaded them on to my Kindle. I've been waiting forever to get these as ebooks!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:07 PM   #28
tgildred
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonxneo View Post
Wirelessly posted

Who reads Hairy Potter when you have the movies!? *chuckle*
I voted this up because you said "Hairy Potter."
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:10 PM   #29
2 Replies
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

The Harry Potter books have been made available as e-books for the first time, nearly 5 years after the release of the final book in the series. The books are available directly from author J.K. Rowling's Pottermore website. The complete collection costs $57.54 in the US.

The books are purchased once from the Pottermore site and can be read via Amazon's Kindle service or downloaded in ePub format for reading on wide variety of products including the iBooks app on iPad.

Article Link: Harry Potter E-Books Finally Available
AHH YES! I've been WAITING for this *cough*iOS news.
I'm SO glad I checked macrumors' iOS Blog Discussion section.
Otherwise I'd have totally missed this ...advertisement!
2 Replies is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:14 PM   #30
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Replies View Post
Agreed, this does seem like an odd location for this thread.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:35 PM   #31
AGEE-3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisatwerk View Post
Hi,

For those who bought the collection, does it come as 7 individual ebooks or 1 big ebook? Thanks.
It comes as 7 individual ebooks. I would recommend getting the collection!
AGEE-3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:48 PM   #32
Madmic23
macrumors 6502

This is kind of funny. In Canada, we can't buy the US English version of the books, we have to buy the UK English versions. However, we can only buy the US version of the audio books, not the UK versions.

And to make it even better, the UK versions are more expensive in the complete collection by about $4.
Madmic23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:05 PM   #33
ohio.emt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ohio.emt Send a message via MSN to ohio.emt Send a message via Yahoo to ohio.emt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodinhtown View Post
Woo Hoo! I am excited to see the Harry Potter books in the digital format. I'm not sure how I did it, but I've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, so I'm looking forward to being able to conveniently have the books on my iPad and reading the stories that have been raved about by so many people.

Since I have to download it from the Pottermore website and then upload it, is there any difference between the Kindle version, the Nook version, and the iBooks version?
On the website they have a way for you to link your amazon account to the pottermore account. This way if you select send to amazon a copy is on the amazon server, just like you bought it from amazon.com. You can download it to your devices without connecting to a computer.
ohio.emt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:26 PM   #34
charlituna
macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
These have been out on the web in multiple formats for a longtime. You just gotta know where to look
I was thinking the same thing. I know people who have had electronic versions of these books for years. The author really screwed up waiting this long.
Not when the quality of many of those versions sucks. Also not everyone is hooked on torrents etc. there are plenty of folks that will buy these copies
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:11 PM   #35
Castiel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Replies View Post
Hm, I actually think this has been the most exciting news on 'the side' in awhile.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:31 PM   #36
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Those trees didn't just die...

They were murdered
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:26 PM   #37
ipodinhtown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGEE-3 View Post
Aside from the discount, is there any other advantage to buying the collection as a whole? Anything that you wouldn't get if you bought the books individually? Since you said you recommended getting the collection, I was curious if there were any "extras" in the collection.

Thanks for the info.
ipodinhtown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:52 PM   #38
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Would there be any reason to get the UK version instead of US?
They speak British, not American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDryCleaner View Post
If I download the pubs from Pottermore, how do I import them into my iTunes and then my iPad so I can do what you did ?
If you are running the Kindle software, Check your Amazon account information. You will have an email address. Anything you send to that address will be automatically uploaded to your iPad.

Is there a website where I can buy the time to read the books?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:25 AM   #39
RamGuy
macrumors regular

All books in Norwegian (Paperback) - Checked
Harry Potter "Special Edition" box set in British English (Hardcover) - Checked
All audiobooks in Norwegian - Checked
All audiobooks in British English - Checked
All audiobooks in American English - Checked
All movies on Blu-Ray - Checked
Harry Potter "Wizard Collection" boxed set (Blu-Ray) pre-ordered - Checked

It don't really bother me spending way too much money on series which I truly love and adore. I'm not going to purchase these digital version though, at least not at this date. First of all I'm pretty much covered with the Special Edition (Hardcover) versions in the first place, secondly these digital versions are edited and I like the text to be as true to the original as possible, with all is flaws, mistyping and spelling errors.

That's the whole reason why I got the lesser know "Special Edition" box set instead of the newer and widely available "Signature Edition" existing of newer cover art and revised text. When I'm getting something for my collection I want it to be as true to the original as possible and the "Special Edition" provides just that instead of these newer "Signature Editions" with new flashy cover art and the whole text revised.

When it comes to the United States versus the United Kingdom versions of these books and audiobooks there are some rather significant differences. The biggest difference comes with the audiobooks as the American version is read by Jim Dale where as the British version is read by Stephen Fry. To completely different narrators, with different voice and phasing. For me Jim Dale caters more to a younger audience while Stephen Fry might cater to a more mature audience.

The books and the text itself got some various changes with the American edition where as the whole title of the first book has been altered from the "Philosopher's Stone" to "Sorcerer's Stone" in order to be more light on the younger generation of Americans whom might not be all that into British vocabulary and glossary. I don't even know whether it's J.K Rowling herself whom translated the books into American English in the first place.

So if your a true fan and want to stick to the original text the British English versions are the way to go, and of course the audiobooks read by Stephen Fry are based of the original British English texts where as the ones read by Jim Dale are based of the American English texts.

EDIT:

The audiobooks, are they coming in low-bitrate MP3's with mono-audio or are they coming in something more high quality so people can convert them to whatever quality we would want them to be in?

I hate all these MP3 audiobooks that comes in low-quality MP3's as I want my audiobook collection in 64kbps, stereo, 44.100 kHz, stereo AAC (M4B) and not some 32kbps, 22.050 kHz, mono MP3 nonsense.

I guess I still have to purchase the CD-releases and rip everything myself even in 2012.

Last edited by RamGuy; Mar 28, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
RamGuy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:54 AM   #40
AGEE-3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodinhtown View Post
Aside from the discount, is there any other advantage to buying the collection as a whole? Anything that you wouldn't get if you bought the books individually? Since you said you recommended getting the collection, I was curious if there were any "extras" in the collection.

Thanks for the info.

Nah sorry no other extras. Just get the discount plus its more convenient if you're thinking of getting them all.
AGEE-3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:50 AM   #41
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisatwerk View Post
Hi,

For those who bought the collection, does it come as 7 individual ebooks or 1 big ebook? Thanks.
7 Individual ebooks
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:07 AM   #42
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
These have been out on the web in multiple formats for a longtime. You just gotta know where to look
These new format, released books are also on the web. The same site that my book was on is hosting these books with over 50,000 downloads already...
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:13 AM   #43
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post
The problem is that a PDF with janky formatting and lots of typos from the OCR can get in the way for a lot of people. The PDF ones are painful to read on an actual e-Ink device because of this.

Considering it'd take a few hours to fix the typos overall, I'd rather just spend the bucks on the epub. It's actually "cheaper", if I consider my free time worth US minimum wage.
Very true but with the HP books specifically, flawless archive-quality PDFs have been floating around for years now.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:19 AM   #44
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGEE-3 View Post
Yep! 7 Nicely done eBooks! I bought the collection and downloaded to my Kindle Fire.

I'm a huge HP fan....I have all of the books, all first edition hard backs. I also have all of the movies, and own digital copies of each one as well.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:35 AM   #45
Benson11
Banned

It's really a great news for me as i am a big fan of Harry Potter series. Can't wait to buy and grasp it.
Benson11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:40 AM   #46
Flitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Very true but with the HP books specifically, flawless archive-quality PDFs have been floating around for years now.
Most Harry Potter fans would rather get them legally and reward Jo for writing the books rather then get lower quality PDF versions, though. At least most of the people I've interacted with on Leaky.

Has anyone been successful using the "gift this" option to get the UK versions in the US? I have the regular ones but I'm looking to get the UK ones too and want to know if it's actually possible.
Flitzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:59 AM   #47
alfonsog
macrumors Demi-God

If you aren't buying these from pottermore.com then you are stealing books. Go to a library and check them out if you can't afford to pay for books.
Also if you have a kindle, iPad, or the like you can afford to pay for the books.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:19 AM   #48
beachtrader
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsog View Post
If you aren't buying these from pottermore.com then you are stealing books.
So today when I purchased the Kindle version from Amazon.com I stole the book?! Wow, didn't know that.
beachtrader is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:21 AM   #49
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
So today when I purchased the Kindle version from Amazon.com I stole the book?! Wow, didn't know that.
No, you are buying them from Pottermore - Amazon is just reselling them - you are still getting them from JK.
pdjudd is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:02 PM   #50
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

Are they in color or black and white? Are the illustrations high resolution?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion