Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wireless.jpg

Australian regulators had targeted Apple earlier today over the use of the term "4G" in advertising its new iPad.
The issue stems from Apple's use of "4G" in its marketing terms for the cellular-capable models of the new iPad, while 4G LTE compatibility is actually only offered in the United States and Canada due to differences in the frequency bands used for LTE in different countries.
ABC News reports that Apple is now offering refunds to Australians who purchased the new iPad and felt misled by the "4G" advertising.
The company says it will email purchasers offering a refund if they believe they have been misled. Clarifications will also be made at point of sale.
Beyond that, Apple has agreed to publish clarification that the new iPad's 4G is not compatible with the Telstra network, but did point out that "the device is compatible with other networks that by international standards are deemed 4G."

Article Link: Apple Offers iPad Refunds to Australian Customers Misled about 4G

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
The number of people who actually get refunds will show what a non-issue this is for many.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted

Waste of time. Regulators should focus on real issues.

If a consumer was misled, they probably shouldn't own an iPad.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Nothing could come between me and the retina display. I'd rather have that than 5G Ultra LTE

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
The debilitating 4G gate is over my friends! hehe. I dont know how apple made it out alive, since this was such as huge issue. thank goodness! :D

/s

any bets on what the next "gate" will be??

Jayse

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Is it just me or do other Aussies find it stupid that Telstra - Australia's largest telecommunications company - is investing and implementing a different LTE frequency to what the rest of the world uses?

This is pure greed from Telstra, potentially forcing Aussie customers to adopt their own branded products to benefit from faster data speeds!

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Didn't they say it would be 3g outside the US? Or did I mishear or misread? As for the advets down under I don't know, haven't seen them.

TheBronx

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Didn't they say it would be 3g outside the US? Or did I mishear or misread? As for the advets down under I don't know, haven't seen them.

yes they did, but if you dont hold a sign outside the apple store in AU making everything clear as you walk in, you get in "trouble" and 4g gate happens hehe :D

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Could have sworn at least one Australian telecoms had an LTE network...

Telstra has one, but it's on 1800MHz. A dual mode 1800Mhz / 2300MHz TD-LTE network is under construction (Optus). A third 1800MHz LTE network is also in construction (Vodafone).

Telstra has also stated they may soon use 900MHz LTE. In addition, auctions for 2600MHz and 700MHz are to be held later this year. Asia Pacific 700MHz has a different band plan to the US - incompatible with both AT&T and Verizon 700MHz.

----------

Is it just me or do other Aussies find it stupid that Telstra - Australia's largest telecommunications company - is investing and implementing a different LTE frequency to what the rest of the world uses?

No country outside the US has used their heavily fragmented 700MHz band plan. Even the AT&T iPad can't use Verizon's LTE and vice versa!

In contrast, 1800MHz is currently used for LTE in Europe, Asia and Australia.

imMango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011

This is pure greed from Telstra, potentially forcing Aussie customers to adopt their own branded products to benefit from faster data speeds!

Theres no international standard, and as such, how can it be said they are using a different LTE frequency to the rest of the world. If anything, the US is, considering its the only place that 4G LTE on the iPad will actually work. But as I said, theres no standard, so I'm not having a go at the US or anything.

Secondly, Au telecoms are doing what they can with the radio frequency thats available. Can't do much more than that...

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Accc...!!!

The ACCC are the biggest bunch of toothless tigers around.

If they spent the efforts helping all Australians by investigating the rip off fuel prices they would be doing more for all of us. Instead they just claim they can't control things like that.

Surely most people with some tech knowledge would know Apple's 4G didn't work outside the US.

And those that didn't probably wouldn't know what they got wasn't work faster. :)

There will be very few returns. This is just a beat up. Apple will be happy for the free advertising for the 2 people in Australia who didn't know they sold tablets. (Hmmm, maybe Samsung will release a 4G tablet next in order to gain some media mentions...)

Actually, I'm surprised Samsung can show one of their ads on tv that says they have the highest res screen now that Apple's is higher. Perhaps they mean they have the highest res screens - that they supply to someone else :)

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Wirelessly posted

Are they giving the refund without having to return it? Wtf?

Did they give an amount? Did they say full or portion? Did TELSTRA know their limits and responsibilities?

These and other questions will be answered in "As The :apple: Turns"!

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
They are also advertising it in New Zealand (Australia’s little sister) as 4G, despite, similar to Australia, it is not on 4G in New Zealand.

The NZ Commerce Commission has filed a complaint about this today too.

Wise up Apple.

lilpete

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Australia
I understand the different frequencies that LTE use around the world, but I'm not sure about 3G. How is it that 3G works all around the world, and if it's due to being similar frequencies, how come all the countries could agree or use the same one for that and not for LTE?

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Read the fineprint where it says 4G LTE only in US & Canada. What a bunch of crybabies!!!! Hope Apple gives them a bottle with their refund!!!!

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay

No greed, no Au carrier can use it.
In Australia 700MHz is used for analog TV.
700/2100MHz will be available after 2016 when analog TV is switched off.

USA & Canada are in the minority using 700/2100MHz.
Most of Europe and Asia are going with 900/1800MHz.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I think this is more a matter of principle and advertising products without misleading names rather than a big deal that Australian consumers made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.