Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbasra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Hey guys,

Just picked up a new 32 gb iPad w the retina display. I don't see much of a difference w the screen when I compare it w my iPad too, the speed is about the same too, however the new camera is amazing!

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I agree. Not much of a difference going from the 2 to 3.

Although,

1) the ipad 2's battery life lasts a bit longer due to it not lighting up not nearly as many pixels as the 3
2) the ipad 2 takes a lot less time to charge
3) and the ipad 2 doesn't heat up like the 3 does.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
If you really don't see the difference in the screen you have serious eye problems.

rbasra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I definitely agree with you but the diction on the iPad 3 is amazing.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Here's a few ways to see the difference between the iPad/iPad 2 display and the new Retina display:

1. Use an iPhone app in 2x mode on the new iPad. The image is much sharper and smoother than on the older models.

2. Shoot a video on the new iPad and then play it back. Not only is it recorded at a higher resolution than the prior models, but the new screen can handle 1080p resolution, whereas older iPads could not.

3. Take a high-res photo and view it on the new iPad.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
If you really don't see the difference in the screen you have serious eye problems.

Dr. Skika's medical licence should be redrawn immediately (because of giving a diagnosis without having seen "the patient") - or Skika should learn common courtesy, which for some is not an easy task...

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
1) the ipad 2's battery life lasts a bit longer due to it not lighting up not nearly as many pixels as the 3

Agree.

I can live with a little warmth and shorter battery life, but the longer charging time was a deal breaker.

Love the screen though.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I agree. Not much of a difference going from the 2 to 3.

Although,

1) true, but you get a beautiful screen
2)charge while you sheep :p
3) It's a portable heater! What's not to love!! :eek:

lolz

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332945434.494832.jpg

Took this photo to show the difference between my iPad 2 (top) vs my iPad 3 (bottom)
The text is clearly obvious and when doing side by side comparisons of photos there's even a bigger difference. The colors are more accurate and deeper .

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just picked up a new 32 gb iPad w the retina display. I don't see much of a difference w the screen when I compare it w my iPad too

Depends on what you look at.

Open safari on each and come to this thread. Observe the text. Which is fuzzy and which is crystal clear?

krz7

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012

Consider this - most people don't stare searching for pixels on their iPads, they just browse the web, watch movies and do not worry about the pixels.

From my personal experience when I look closely I can see the difference betwen New iPad Screen and iPad 2 Screen, but in everyday usage I didnt notice huge improvement.

What's bothering me though is weight of the new iPad and heat it produces compared to the iPad 2.

krz7

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Lol the weight? Really?

Yeah. I mean it's less comfortable and I'd rather have thinner and lighter device than Retina display. But people are different. I can imagine lot of people appreciating high resolution display and not carring about additional weight, thikness and heat. :)

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Hey guys,

Just picked up a new 32 gb iPad w the retina display. I don't see much of a difference w the screen when I compare it w my iPad too, the speed is about the same too, however the new camera is amazing!

I do notice a big difference overall in the two screens. My brother in law has a ipad2 and looked at them side by side and there is a hugs difference between the two.
Plus the iphone only apps for the iphone 4 and 4s are alot better in 2x mode in the new ipad then the older ones. I can actually use the apps in 2x mode and there is not much quality difference between that and the full screen ipad native apps.
After using the ipad for a bit it makes the other ipad screens look horrible and makes my ipod touch 3rd gen look bad even

There is a difference in the graphics as well - photo editing on the ipad two can be sluggish at time but not the new ipad the 4x graphics makes a hugs difference in gaming and processing graphics related projects.

----------

Agree.

I can live with a little warmth and shorter battery life, but the longer charging time was a deal breaker.

Love the screen though.

the new battery has 75% more capacity then the ipad2 thus common sense would say it will take longer to charge that is why apple supplied a power supply. Leave it plugged in over night while eating dinner or while at work. Longer time to charge is hardly a deal breaker. I think it is that people who just bought ipad2s are just a wee bit jeolous and trying to talk down the the product to make them feel good. I never owned one before nor had the wife so this is our first. I gave her the option to get one now or wait till the new ipad was released she choose to wait 4 months for this one and she is so glad she waited!
It is still alot less cooler than my MBP or old 17" Powerbook G4! If it gets to hot put a pad under it you will be fine.

----------

Consider this - most people don't stare searching for pixels on their iPads, they just browse the web, watch movies and do not worry about the pixels.

From my personal experience when I look closely I can see the difference betwen New iPad Screen and iPad 2 Screen, but in everyday usage I didnt notice huge improvement.

What's bothering me though is weight of the new iPad and heat it produces compared to the iPad 2.

unless u put them on a scale the average person will not notice a gram or two. Again people nit picking to make them feel good. Are you sure u did not buy a ipad2 by accident? I set them both next to each other running the same app and there is a noticable difference between the two. Even a 5 year old noticed the difference. Even a 90 year old noticed a difference and said the new ipad was easier on her eyes compaired to the ipad 2

krz7

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
unless u put them on a scale the average person will not notice a gram or two. Again people nit picking to make them feel good. Are you sure u did not buy a ipad2 by accident? I set them both next to each other running the same app and there is a noticable difference between the two. Even a 5 year old noticed the difference. Even a 90 year old noticed a difference and said the new ipad was easier on her eyes compaired to the ipad 2

I see your point. I agree there's the difference, but I believe weight, thickness and teperature are more important qualities for most consumers. For me they sacrifised too much for the Retina display.
But that's just my opinion. People are different and have different needs.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I see your point. I agree there's the difference, but I believe weight, thickness and teperature are more important qualities for most consumers. For me they sacrifised too much for the Retina display.
But that's just my opinion. People are different and have different needs.

To each their own. If you don't notice or don't care about the new display then there is no reason to run out and get a new iPad. However, I think most people recognize that the screen is a big improvement--especially if you read a lot of material on the iPad.

Considering the incredible sales rate of the new iPad, it would appear that you may be mistaken about what "most consumers" want.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
the new battery has 75% more capacity then the ipad2 thus common sense would say it will take longer to charge that is why apple supplied a power supply.

It's the same charger for either device. That's the problem. I agree with your logic. The problem is if it takes 4 hrs to charge an ipad 2, using your logic would require 7 hrs for the ipad 3. I was actually seeing charge times in excess of 8 hrs. I wish I had the luxury to sleep that long. :)

I think it is that people who just bought ipad2s are just a wee bit jeolous and trying to talk down the the product to make them feel good.

An unnecessary and incendiary remark. The flipside can be true too. Folks convincing themselves the extra $100 they paid for a thicker, heavier, hotter, longer charging iPad is worth it because they don't see pixels now. ;)

It is still alot less cooler than my MBP or old 17" Powerbook G4!

Another irrelevant remark. The ipad 3 is cooler than a toaster too. You're making an apples to oranges comparision. :confused:
This was a fairer comparison https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1349461/

I think both devices are great, and both are superior to any Android tablets. :apple:

Last edited:

rbasra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
After 24 hours with the new iPad I must agree the product is amazing I can finally see the difference in the screen. I just sold my iPad 2 32 GB for $400 so this purchase is definitely worth the upgrade. Also I just posted this dictatio.
absolutely amazing.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I kept my iPad 2, and bought an iPad 3.

They each have their Pro's & Con's verifying what I've learned from experience: their is no perfect device. Newer is not always better, depending on the most important criterion of all... Your Personal Preferences & Usage.

I'm glad I have both, and if forced to choose just one, that would be one hard decision. And yes, I'm lucky to have 20/20 vision, therefore I can see the difference. Yet that alone is not a deal maker or breaker for me.

I still vastly prefer my MBA's & MBP's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.