Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1
UTMAC
macrumors newbie

2 Apple TVs in a house

Has anyone tried using 2 apple tvs in the same house? Can it work? I have a 2nd gen Apple TV I want to move to my bedroom tv and buy a 3rd gen Apple TV with HD for my living room. Can I have both in the same house and use from the same computer? Will you be able to select which apple tv you want to air stream to?
UTMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMAC View Post
Has anyone tried using 2 apple tvs in the same house? Can it work? I have a 2nd gen Apple TV I want to move to my bedroom tv and buy a 3rd gen Apple TV with HD for my living room. Can I have both in the same house and use from the same computer? Will you be able to select which apple tv you want to air stream to?
Yep, I have the same setup. You can name each Apple TV something different. Mine are Bedroom Apple TV and Family Room Apple TV. Works great with no problems!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

Yep, I have lounge and bedroom...One is hardwired the other wifi, one ATV3 one ATV2...Works perfectly!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Works fine, I'm trying to trade my old ATV2 for an ATV3 as I don't bother with jailbreaks.
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
UTMAC
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info so quick. I love this site, I just got an iMac in January with Apple TV and new iPad when it came out. I don't know why I waited so long but will never go back.
UTMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thanks for the info so quick. I love this site, I just got an iMac in January with Apple TV and new iPad when it came out. I don't know why I waited so long but will never go back.
Aaah, the satisfaction of another happy convert... Enjoy!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:17 PM   #7
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
WOrks just fine, i got 2x ATV2 (Both Jailbroken) and 1X ATV3... same house, same Network.

No issues
maturola is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:45 PM   #8
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The ability to easily have multiple ATV's is one of the great benefits of the unit.

We have 4 in total, and they work really well. You can start watching something in one room, and then move to another room and the film you were watching picks up where it left off. You can also easily move where you are air playing to easily.

Perhaps the best feature is when using airplay of music from iTunes, you can select multiple ATVs to stream to. We often have music playing from 2 or 3 ATV's during the summer and it keeps in sync really well. It means you can listen to the music wherever you are and it's great for a party.
KeithJenner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:46 PM   #9
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
Perhaps the best feature is when using airplay of music from iTunes, you can select multiple ATVs to stream to. We often have music playing from 2 or 3 ATV's during the summer and it keeps in sync really well. It means you can listen to the music wherever you are and it's great for a party.
I've never tried streaming of music. Great idea. I'll have to try this.

We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit for us is ripping DVDs - now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus. We're thinking about getting a 4th soon.
bbeagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
I've never tried streaming of music. Good idea.

We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit is ripping DVDs, and now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus.
Yep, the AEBS in my bedroom streams to a large hi fi system...Only snag is I have to grab the remote from the large selection on my bedside table quickly to turn it down....Otherwise....BOOM
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:16 PM   #11
ladysman
macrumors regular

I have 5 going at any one given time. 3 wireless 2 wired so it's fine. 2 old school, 2 ATV2's and 1 ATV3
ladysman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:48 PM   #12
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post
I have 5 going at any one given time. 3 wireless 2 wired so it's fine. 2 old school, 2 ATV2's and 1 ATV3
Damn... 5?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:31 PM   #13
xMacMusox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hole house audio? I'm figuring you do more than that but is this the reason for 5? I am adding a atv3 soon to the mix of atv2, airport express, and denon avr.
xMacMusox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Macman45
macrumors G5

Hole house audio, that's what I wanted, according to my neighbours I now have whole street audio....
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:49 PM   #15
ladysman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMacMusox View Post
Hole house audio? I'm figuring you do more than that but is this the reason for 5? I am adding a atv3 soon to the mix of atv2, airport express, and denon avr.
5 TV's is the reason.

I have an Airport Express in the garage for streaming audio.
ladysman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:27 PM   #16
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Exactly the same configuration I have, five. I could use at least one more, but I'll worry about that when I upgrade one of the ATV2's. Also thinking of adding another TV to the workout room, that would require another ATV.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
We have 3 Apple TVs, and the biggest benefit for us is ripping DVDs - now all the Apple TVs in the house have instant access to our entire DVD collection without previews, or annoying menus. We're thinking about getting a 4th soon.
I have 2 tvs, and 3 compatible TV sets. The odd one out is in my daughter's room. If we put an tv on hers, we'd probably never see her again-- hers is the largest percentage of tv usage in our household. Why? Like bbeagle, we find the instant-on, smart-resume movie collection extremely convenient, and our DVDs (and "skip/forward" buttons) no longer get worn out.

Netflix also works rather well on tv, at least from our experience. Then again, we're not so picky that we demand 1080p. Heck, most of our movie library was encoded using HandBrake's iPhone/iPod touch preset, and I haven't heard a complaint yet. (The smaller file sizes allow me to fit more movies onto my daughter's touch, and oh, the joys of not having to lug around and hook up a portable DVD player and "books" of DVDs to get scratched up in the car.)

EDIT: Those of you who are reading this and considering getting on the tv bandwagon should consider Apple's Airport Extreme router; it takes "Wake On WiFi" one step further. It has a built-in Bonjour proxy that, upon receiving a message from an tv to get a movie from a particular library on a Mac that's in sleep mode, will wake up that Mac, have it send the file, then allow the Mac to go back to sleep.

Last edited by dXTC; Apr 3, 2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Additional recommendation
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:02 PM   #18
ckd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Those of you who are reading this and considering getting on the tv bandwagon should consider Apple's Airport Extreme router; it takes "Wake On WiFi" one step further. It has a built-in Bonjour proxy that, upon receiving a message from an tv to get a movie from a particular library on a Mac that's in sleep mode, will wake up that Mac, have it send the file, then allow the Mac to go back to sleep.
You shouldn't even need the Airport Extreme; the ATV2 & 3 also have Bonjour Sleep Proxy support.
ckd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:02 PM   #19
bukiwhitey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post
Yep, I have the same setup. You can name each Apple TV something different. Mine are Bedroom Apple TV and Family Room Apple TV. Works great with no problems!
How do you rename them?

Thanks,

David
bukiwhitey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #20
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukiwhitey View Post
How do you rename them?

Thanks,

David
For ATV1 you can rename it from the the device list entry in iTunes. For the ATV2-3 it can be rename from the settings menu on the device itself.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:50 PM   #21
jacbec
macrumors newbie

2 Apple TVs

I have 2 Apple TVs (Gen 1 & 2) connected by ethernet to my LAN. Only one (Gen 1) shows up in my iTunes Devices list????? Same thing happens when they are connected via WIFI. When I use Remote on my iPhone 4s only the Gen 2 Apple TV shows up. What is going on???
jacbec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:19 PM   #22
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbec View Post
I have 2 Apple TVs (Gen 1 & 2) connected by ethernet to my LAN. Only one (Gen 1) shows up in my iTunes Devices list????? Same thing happens when they are connected via WIFI. When I use Remote on my iPhone 4s only the Gen 2 Apple TV shows up. What is going on???
The "new" appleTV's do not show up in iTunes (at least mine don't). They rely on Homesharing. As for the remote, I don't believe the remote app works with the Gen 1 AppleTV's. I have four AppleTV 3's. They all show up in the Remote App, and all rely on Homesharing that I setup in iTunes on my "server".
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater