Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jun 28, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1
NSiebenmor
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to NSiebenmor
Powermac G5 cd tray Won't Open!

Has anyone had a problem opening their cd tray on there powermac G5. I just bought a dual 2.0 with Tiger. It has happened several times, I press the eject button and there is no eject symbol on the screen and the tray won't open. I then try to press the eject button in itunes and itunes crashes. Do you think this is a Tiger bug? I have to restart my computer to get the eject button to work again. I'd appreciate any help. thanks
Nick
NSiebenmor is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:19 PM   #2
Ryan T.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSiebenmor
Has anyone had a problem opening their cd tray on there powermac G5. I just bought a dual 2.0 with Tiger. It has happened several times, I press the eject button and there is no eject symbol on the screen and the tray won't open. I then try to press the eject button in itunes and itunes crashes. Do you think this is a Tiger bug? I have to restart my computer to get the eject button to work again. I'd appreciate any help. thanks
Nick
Is there a CD in the drive? You're probably accessing it which is why it won't eject. Drag the CD on the desktop to the trash to eject the disc.
Ryan T. is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:52 AM   #3
diddy
macrumors 6502

Totally happened to me. I think Ryan is right. If all else fails, move the case drive cover down with your fingers and pop it open with a paperclip.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 03:04 AM   #4
FFTT
macrumors 68030

If you have anything on the CD "in use" the CD won't eject.

If you need to work with something on the CD, you just drag /copy that file to your desktop, then you should be able to eject the CD.

Sometimes you may need to force quit whatever you've got running or drag the CD image to trash.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
I had this problem with a CD that my G5 couldn't read. It's really bad design on Apple's part for this to be a possibility. Making the drive eject entirely software controlled is OK, but if you're going to do that, there shouldn't be any way for it to not work, no matter what's in the drive. In order to solve the problem, I had to use a paperclip in the hole in the drive. The eject button, and the "hold mouse down on startup" trick didn't work.

Last edited by mduser63; Jul 6, 2005 at 11:50 PM.
mduser63 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:50 PM   #6
NSiebenmor
macrumors member

It's a new G5 and it does work except after I leave it in sleep mode. When I wake it up sometimes the eject button doesn't respond. I have to restart the computer to get it to work. I've talked to tech support and they're no help. I also have problems getting online when it comes out of sleep mode, again tech support didn't have a solution.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:57 PM   #7
NSiebenmor
macrumors member

This computer is awesome when it's running smoothly, but I feel like these little crashes shouldn't be happening and they piss me off. Does anyone think this is a software or hardware problem? Like I wrote before, everything works but there are these occasional crashes. I have reinstalled tiger and researched on the problems I'm having but no one else seems to have had the same problems. So I don't know if I should just live with it and keep restarting my computer when it happens or something else, which I don't know what considering tech support can't figure it out.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers