Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
pankig
macrumors newbie

Using dual monitors with the new iMac

I have the latest iMac and someone at the apple store said that i couldnt dual monitor with the latest iMac unless it was the 27" - is this true??? I want to use my 19 inch NEC gx2 not another mac related monitor.
pankig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Any Intel Mac can at least another external display, some can use two external displays.
Quote:
Each Thunderbolt port supports an external display up to 30" (2560x1600) as well as other peripherals that support the Thunderbolt standard. Thunderbolt provides a maximum theoretical throughput of 10 Gbps in both directions and supports as many as six devices "daisy-chained" together. The 21.5" iMac models can support one external display and the 27" iMac models can support two external displays simultaneously.
from http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...lt-models.html found via "21.5" imac thunderbolt number of displays"
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
pankig
macrumors newbie

so what is the thunderbolt cable that I need to do this?
pankig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankig View Post
so what is the thunderbolt cable that I need to do this?
Depending on the connection of your NEC, probably a Mini DisplayPort to DVI or VGA adapter, since the NEC probably has its own cable?

Quote:
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:
Apple Online Store (or the physical Apple Store)
Monoprice
Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:37 PM   #5
ilgreatluigi
macrumors member

You can also buy USB to VGA adapters at otherworldcomputing. They come with multiple adapters inside the package.
ilgreatluigi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:35 AM   #6
IeU
macrumors member

You can use a second monitor with your IMac and does not need to be one from Apple.

You just need to buy an adapter.

MiniDisplay <> DVI or VGA (Depends on the connections your second monitor needs/has)

The Thunderbolt connector on the back of your IMac can act as a MiniDisplay port (Backwards compatibility Thunderbolt > MiniDisplay).
IeU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:50 AM   #7
oleus
macrumors newbie

I am hoping to use my 21" Apple cinema display (circa early 2006) with a new iMac via the Thunderbolt output - i would require a MDP to DVI cable for this, correct?
oleus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
I am hoping to use my 21" Apple cinema display (circa early 2006) with a new iMac via the Thunderbolt output - i would require a MDP to DVI cable for this, correct?
Yes.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac