Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I am going to have a June 2004 G5, 2.0 GHz Dual Processor. I've seen that apple put up to 8GBs of ram max. But is it possible to put in a total of 16GB?Considering its a 64 bit system, it should work.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
As others have pointed out, a June 2004 G5 will only support 8GB. Thats a lot of RAM for just about any computer even today. Right now my quad core G5 has 10.5GB of RAM installed, and I've never been close to running out of available memory. Even in my June 2004 dual 2.0 system I had 4GB which really seemed like enough for the most part. Unless you really just want to say you've maxed out the RAM or you already have some laying around, its probably not really worth it. I don't see myself putting any more in my quad which is the system I use the most.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
As others have pointed out, a June 2004 G5 will only support 8GB. Thats a lot of RAM for just about any computer even today. Right now my quad core G5 has 10.5GB of RAM installed, and I've never been close to running out of available memory. Even in my June 2004 dual 2.0 system I had 4GB which really seemed like enough for the most part. Unless you really just want to say you've maxed out the RAM or you already have some laying around, its probably not really worth it. I don't see myself putting any more in my quad which is the system I use the most.

Agreed, I put 16GB in my Quad just to feel good about it being maxed lol. I have yet to come anywhere near that much RAM usage. 8GB will be more than enough for a Leopard system.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
^^^
That is true, I barely use 4GB out of my 16GB on an ordinary day. Even if I am drafting and designing, I am barely reaching or maxing out the RAM on my Powermac dual core.

OT;

@hrududu,

I am in hutch right now. I love your place here in KS. :)

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I have foregone of the quad, I was wary about the liquid cooling system. I don't have a need for that much of a horsepower anyway. And the air-cooled dual core is very stable and reliable.

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
So, seeing that I can only use 8 GBs of ram, can you run any brand of ram? All I know is that you have to run DDR 400 and low density, how you tell that your buying low density, I have no idea. But I was looking at buying ram at newegg considering I may be able to get better deals there then macsales.com

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
^^^
That is true, I barely use 4GB out of my 16GB on an ordinary day. Even if I am drafting and designing, I am barely reaching or maxing out the RAM on my Powermac dual core.

OT;

@hrududu,

I am in hutch right now. I love your place here in KS. :)
Ahh thats cool. Its really a pretty nice place to live actually. Hutchinson is a cool town too. I make it up there for the fair every year and try and go to the Cosmosphere when I can.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
So, seeing that I can only use 8 GBs of ram, can you run any brand of ram? All I know is that you have to run DDR 400 and low density, how you tell that your buying low density, I have no idea. But I was looking at buying ram at newegg considering I may be able to get better deals there then macsales.com

There's nothing wrong with looking for the best deal. That's why I get all my RAM from NewEgg (I also have a Shoprunner subscription so using NewEgg saves me shipping costs). You don't need to worry so much about brands, etc but try to get RAM with the lowest latency rating to maximize performance (lower number=better). Latency ratings are given on the stats for each product. In regards to high/low density, it'd be stated if the RAM DIMM is high density...if it's not stated, you can assume it's low density. If you want to double check, link the RAM you're wanting to buy on here and the community can verify it's correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.