Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:54 AM   #1
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

iTunes - how to view each folder differently...

Pre-iTunes 10, I liked the ability to view my music in Cover Flow, my Apps as a Grid, and some playlists simply in List mode.

But iTunes 10 seems to have one-selection for all - choose CoverFlow and all folders in iTunes are viewed this way.

I don't like it and was wondering if anyone knows a way to bring back this ability to view each folder within iTunes in any preferred way.
BlueParadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:25 AM   #2
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Not for me.

In Mac with iTunes 10.6.1, I have cover flow for music, grid for movies, album list for tv shows, etc. and the ability to change any one of them without affecting the others.

i don't know of any setting in preferences to set folder view globally, so your folder behavior is puzzling.

Are you Mac or Windows?
LaWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

I'm on an iMac, using the latest 10.7, with the latest iTunes update, released only yesterday.

If I select List or Cover Flow or Grid from the iTunes menu bar, I'm able to change the layout for that folder. But it's then the same layout for each folder - Movies, Music, TV, and so on.

I haven't installed any patches or add-ons to iTunes, so I'm at a loss as to why this happens for me but not for yourself (and others, perhaps).

Last edited by BlueParadox; Mar 29, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

I'm on an iMac running 10.72 and the latest itunes, and I'm not having any of the issues your having. I have many playlists, some in grid, some cover, some list. There's an applescript that changes all the playlists to one view, but you have to install it and I think you have to actively launch it each time your want them to be the same [i.e. I don't think it automatically keeps playlist views the same], so I'm not sure what's wrong with yours. Could it be a corrupt preferences file?
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils View Post
I'm on an iMac running 10.72 and the latest itunes, and I'm not having any of the issues your having. I have many playlists, some in grid, some cover, some list. There's an applescript that changes all the playlists to one view, but you have to install it and I think you have to actively launch it each time your want them to be the same [i.e. I don't think it automatically keeps playlist views the same], so I'm not sure what's wrong with yours. Could it be a corrupt preferences file?
How would I find out?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:51 PM   #6
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

You would have to remove your preference file, let iTunes built a new preference file to factory default, and see if that resolved your problem.

The main file is in /User/Library/Preferences. It is called com.apple.iTunes.plist.

I thought I remembered seeing a procedure for this on the apple support site, but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Last edited by LaWally; Mar 30, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

It seems like your not the only person who's had this problem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1234018

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...0#post14637280

Perhaps before trashing the preferences file you should hold off until the next update? If other people are experiencing the same then maybe Apple will have a fix for it in the next update. Either way, it probably wouldn't hurt to submit a report to Apple detailing your problem
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:16 PM   #8
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Thanks to both LaWally & Fresh Tendrils for your replies.

Bummer about it, however, is this problem has been going on for the last few updates. It was fine and working in iTunes 10.5, then one of the iTunes 10.5 updates it stopped working, then a subsequent update all was good, then back to not working.

I had hoped with iTunes 10.6 the problem would be fixed, but no, with the same result in the most recent 10.6.1 update. Weird that it's affecting myself (and one other poster) but all is good for others, for most.

I'll probably submit a report to Apple and see what happens...

Thanks again.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:54 AM   #9
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueParadox View Post
Thanks to both LaWally & Fresh Tendrils for your replies.

Bummer about it, however, is this problem has been going on for the last few updates. It was fine and working in iTunes 10.5, then one of the iTunes 10.5 updates it stopped working, then a subsequent update all was good, then back to not working.

I had hoped with iTunes 10.6 the problem would be fixed, but no, with the same result in the most recent 10.6.1 update. Weird that it's affecting myself (and one other poster) but all is good for others, for most.

I'll probably submit a report to Apple and see what happens...

Thanks again.
I found something that might help you. One of "Doug's iTunes Scripts" allows you to (among other things) toggle a hidden iTunes preference that makes view options global (or not). Take a look:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...ngehiddenprefs

I have used several of Doug's scripts on my own iTunes installation and library and they are rock solid. They work as advertised.

Last edited by LaWally; Mar 31, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
LaWally is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:50 PM   #10
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

This looks like the solution. Many thanks. If this didn't, I was simply going to re-install iTunes and start over (but to it so I don't lose playlists, play count, etc).

Again, thanks...

Last edited by BlueParadox; Apr 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:30 AM   #11
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueParadox View Post
This looks like the solution. Many thanks. If this didn't, I was simply going to re-install iTunes and start over (but to it so I don't lose playlists, play count, etc).

Again, thanks...
Glad I could help. I just wish I had thought of Doug's scripts sooner.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod