Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Creating Albums Through The iPhoto iPad App. Is It Possible?

A simple question. One so simple, in fact, I was able to squeeze it the title of the thread. From the albums tab, it looks like it should be possible. I mean there's so much room to play with. So much empty space that isn't serving any purpose. There's just Camera Roll sitting there by itself, waiting patently for more to be added beside it.

Certainly there's a way, right? Some obvious way that's currently escape me?
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:57 AM   #2
flippo81
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany
In the top right corner "Edit" and then in the top left corner "Add Album"
flippo81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3
laurenr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Also, in the top right corner, click on arrow, then select whatever pictures you want and a menu will pop up. You can then add them to a new, or existing album.
laurenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Renzatic
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Okay, I'm starting to worry that I'm becoming incredibly dense in my (not really all that) old age. I've played with the app for a good half hour now, and I cannot find any of these options mentioned. If I click edit, I get no option to Add Album. Following your suggestions, I get these options...

(I took a picture of a picture to get all the menus in).

I'm just not seeing the option. Once again, I'm probably missing the very obvious answer, and when I finally figure it out, I'll look incredibly dumb. But hey, I'd rather look dumb and be able to add albums, than look smart and not be able to organize my photos. :P

So what am I doing wrong?
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:35 AM   #5
laurenr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Okay, I'm starting to worry that I'm becoming incredibly dense in my (not really all that) old age. I've played with the app for a good half hour now, and I cannot find any of these options mentioned. If I click edit, I get no option to Add Album. Following your suggestions, I get these options...

Image (I took a picture of a picture to get all the menus in).

I'm just not seeing the option. Once again, I'm probably missing the very obvious answer, and when I finally figure it out, I'll look incredibly dumb. But hey, I'd rather look dumb and be able to add albums, than look smart and not be able to organize my photos. :P

So what am I doing wrong?
That's easy.......you're doing the wrong App! the hints above were for creating/editing albums in the PHOTO APP. You wre attempting to do this in the IPHOTO APP.

The iPhoto App is a very recent addition to the App store, created by Apple as an "extension" of the Mac application of the same name. On the iPad, it will also load albums the same way the the original Photo App does. Confused? You should be! If Apple had anticipated that iPhoto would be ported to the IOS, (which I am sure they did), then they should have named the "Photo" App, that comes preloaded, a different name!

Within the PHOTO app, a screenshot of selecting some pics, after the top right arrow is clicked (please excuse if it's huge, I'm in bed on my iPad):

Click image for larger version

Name:	354782031.146884.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	333152

Edit: just to be clear. Your albums will be created within the PHOTO App first using methods suggested in above posts. Then, when you open your IPHOTO App, you will see a progess bar across the screen,as your "iphoto library" is updated.

Hope that's clear. your head must have been about ready to explode wondering why nothing was working quite as it should have.

Last edited by laurenr; Mar 30, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
laurenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Renzatic
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
...Hope that's clear. your head must have been about ready to explode wondering why nothing was working quite as it should have.
It really was. This is definitely one of my more spectacular facepalm moments. I've got it all squared away now, so I think I'm good. :P

Thanks for the help.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
laurenr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It really was. This is definitely one of my more spectacular facepalm moments. I've got it all squared away now, so I think I'm good. :P

Thanks for the help.
No problem.
laurenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
I'm thinking about getting an iPad and looked at iPhoto for it. Is there a way to get photos off my iPhone on to my iPad using iPhoto App for iPad and not use a computer?
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 AM   #9
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
I'm thinking about getting an iPad and looked at iPhoto for it. Is there a way to get photos off my iPhone on to my iPad using iPhoto App for iPad and not use a computer?
Yes, using the lightning cable and the USB adapter (it won't work from iPad to iPhone)
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
I believe what I-photo does is the journals. One of the keynotes goes thru all the major features. See YouTube. It's about 12min.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:16 AM   #11
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
I'm thinking about getting an iPad and looked at iPhoto for it. Is there a way to get photos off my iPhone on to my iPad using iPhoto App for iPad and not use a computer?
Yes, you can beam them from iOS device to iOS device using iPhoto. No cables or computers are required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
Yes, using the lightning cable and the USB adapter (it won't work from iPad to iPhone)
Actually you don't need any cables when using iPhoto. iPhoto allows you to beam the image from one iOS device to another and it doesn't matter if it's iPhone to iPad or vice versa.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Yes, you can beam them from iOS device to iOS device using iPhoto. No cables or computers are required.



Actually you don't need any cables when using iPhoto. iPhoto allows you to beam the image from one iOS device to another and it doesn't matter if it's iPhone to iPad or vice versa.
How do I do this, though wifi or bluetooth?
And does both the iPhone and iPad both need iPhoto for this?
Thank you,
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:01 PM   #13
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
You can beam them via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. iPhoto is a universal app so when you buy it once, you get it for both devices. But yes, both devices need iPhoto installed as the beaming takes place from within iPhoto.


From the iPhoto app:

"Wi-Fi or Bluetooth must be enabled to beam photos"
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazycloud View Post
you can beam them via wi-fi or bluetooth. Iphoto is a universal app so when you buy it once, you get it for both devices. But yes, both devices need iphoto installed as the beaming takes place from within iphoto.


From the iphoto app:

"wi-fi or bluetooth must be enabled to beam photos"
thanks!!!
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
jayes
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Was just going to post a similar question. Which leads me to several more.

1. I understand that if I have iPhoto on my iPhone and iPad mini, with wifi they will "beam" to each other. I have an iMac. Where does that fall into the scheme of things? I know my iphone photos go to iphoto on my mac via photostream. Will this still occur?

2. Pics from iphone to ipad. We will be away from wifi for a week. I would like to be able to move my photos from my iphone to my ipad mini for safe keeping before I get home. Someone mentioned using lightening cable and USB adapter. Searched Apple store and all I see is a lightening to MICRO USB adapter. Is this the adapter one would need?

Seems like the more i-devices I get, the more confused I get trying to keep them all in synch.
jayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:04 PM   #16
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayes View Post
Was just going to post a similar question. Which leads me to several more.

1. I understand that if I have iPhoto on my iPhone and iPad mini, with wifi they will "beam" to each other. I have an iMac. Where does that fall into the scheme of things? I know my iphone photos go to iphoto on my mac via photostream. Will this still occur?

2. Pics from iphone to ipad. We will be away from wifi for a week. I would like to be able to move my photos from my iphone to my ipad mini for safe keeping before I get home. Someone mentioned using lightening cable and USB adapter. Searched Apple store and all I see is a lightening to MICRO USB adapter. Is this the adapter one would need?

Seems like the more i-devices I get, the more confused I get trying to keep them all in synch.
1. Yes, beaming the pics doesn't affect PhotoStream at all. They'll still be on your iMac when you return no matter what device you take them from.

2. Beaming can also be done via Bluetooth. Wi-Fi isn't required.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #17
jayes
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
1. Yes, beaming the pics doesn't affect PhotoStream at all. They'll still be on your iMac when you return no matter what device you take them from.

2. Beaming can also be done via Bluetooth. Wi-Fi isn't required.
I'm sure the answer is right there.. but....
I have bluetooth enabled on my mini and phone. They don't find each other. Does iphoto need to be in the mix for this to work?
jayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:07 PM   #18
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayes View Post
I'm sure the answer is right there.. but....
I have bluetooth enabled on my mini and phone. They don't find each other. Does iphoto need to be in the mix for this to work?
Yes, you have to do all of the beaming through iPhoto.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:38 AM   #19
jayes
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Yes, you have to do all of the beaming through iPhoto.
Never knew my phone and mini could beam. Learn something new every day!
It worked!
jayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:40 AM   #20
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayes View Post
Never knew my phone and mini could beam. Learn something new every day!
It worked!
Awesome. I'm glad you got it working.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #21
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Now if we could just delete pics from within iPhoto lol
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:55 PM   #22
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
Now if we could just delete pics from within iPhoto lol
You sort of can. You can delete images you've edited, just not the originals. But, I don't think that'll ever happen. It's not the Apple way. Even iPhoto for Mac doesn't allow you to do that. (You can delete from iPhoto for Mac, but you're not deleting the original like you would be on an iOS device.) Apple would need to setup some sort of iPhoto library on iOS devices before they allow us to delete images.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 05:28 AM   #23
VENUSPHILLIPS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
You sort of can. You can delete images you've edited, just not the originals. But, I don't think that'll ever happen. It's not the Apple way. Even iPhoto for Mac doesn't allow you to do that. (You can delete from iPhoto for Mac, but you're not deleting the original like you would be on an iOS device.) Apple would need to setup some sort of iPhoto library on iOS devices before they allow us to delete images.
HI HAzyCloud,
I like your answers they helped a lot, but I still have one question, I have all my wedding pictures Synch with my Iphone, Ipad and Macbook, I decided to make a smart Album in my Ipad to organize them and put them in sequence (The wedding pictures) now I want to be able to see that album in my Macbook and I don't know how to Synch, I have tried Wifi photo but that only those the "Events" pictures not the Smart Albums, If I pay and Install Iphoto in my Ipad will it let me Synch my Smart Albums?, I almost bought it but there is so many bad reviews on Iphoto App that they talked me out of it, but I might have no option.
Let me know if you have any data on this or if you know of any other App that would help me do the Synch at a cheaper price! Thanks!
Best, Venus
VENUSPHILLIPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 07:56 AM   #24
VENUSPHILLIPS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Synch iPad Smart iphoto folders with iphoto in my Macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
That's easy.......you're doing the wrong App! the hints above were for creating/editing albums in the PHOTO APP. You wre attempting to do this in the IPHOTO APP.

The iPhoto App is a very recent addition to the App store, created by Apple as an "extension" of the Mac application of the same name. On the iPad, it will also load albums the same way the the original Photo App does. Confused? You should be! If Apple had anticipated that iPhoto would be ported to the IOS, (which I am sure they did), then they should have named the "Photo" App, that comes preloaded, a different name!

Within the PHOTO app, a screenshot of selecting some pics, after the top right arrow is clicked (please excuse if it's huge, I'm in bed on my iPad):

Attachment 333152

Edit: just to be clear. Your albums will be created within the PHOTO App first using methods suggested in above posts. Then, when you open your IPHOTO App, you will see a progess bar across the screen,as your "iphoto library" is updated.

Hope that's clear. your head must have been about ready to explode wondering why nothing was working quite as it should have.
Hi Laurenr,

I still have one question, I have all my wedding pictures Synch with my Iphone, Ipad and Macbook, I decided to make a smart Album in my Ipad to organize them and put them in sequence (The wedding pictures) now I want to be able to see that album in my Macbook and I don't know how to Synch, I have tried Wifi photo but that only those the "Events" pictures not the Smart Albums, If I pay and Install Iphoto in my Ipad will it let me Synch my Smart Albums?, I almost bought it but there is so many bad reviews on Iphoto App that they talked me out of it, but I might have no option.
Let me know if you have any data on this or if you know of any other App that would help me do the Synch at a cheaper price! Thanks!
Best, Venus
VENUSPHILLIPS is online now Report Post
VENUSPHILLIPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #25
laurenr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENUSPHILLIPS View Post
Hi Laurenr,

I still have one question, I have all my wedding pictures Synch with my Iphone, Ipad and Macbook, I decided to make a smart Album in my Ipad to organize them and put them in sequence (The wedding pictures) now I want to be able to see that album in my Macbook and I don't know how to Synch, I have tried Wifi photo but that only those the "Events" pictures not the Smart Albums, If I pay and Install Iphoto in my Ipad will it let me Synch my Smart Albums?, I almost bought it but there is so many bad reviews on Iphoto App that they talked me out of it, but I might have no option.
Let me know if you have any data on this or if you know of any other App that would help me do the Synch at a cheaper price! Thanks!
Best, Venus
VENUSPHILLIPS is online now Report Post
This is what I suggest:
Say for example your album you created on the iPad with the wedding pics is called "My Wedding". Create a Photo Stream called "Wedding sync" (for example), and add that entire album to this new photo stream, and share it with "yourself". Then, the next time you you open iPhoto on your Mac, that entire wedding album will show in the new photo stream called "Wedding sync". I do this all the time with albums I create on my iPad, when I wish to view that exact album on my Mac.
It may sound "hinky", but it's simple and totally works!
laurenr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating Albums of Videos? amitabhbansal iPhone 2 Apr 8, 2013 02:22 PM
iPad Mini: Help importing Photos app albums to iPhoto ansirone iPad 1 Mar 23, 2013 04:17 PM
Help syncing ipad iPhoto albums to mac Sinjin57 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Oct 9, 2012 02:45 PM
Help syncing iPhoto albums from iPad to Mac Sinjin57 iPad Apps 0 Oct 9, 2012 01:13 PM
Help- Any way to transfer Entire iPad iPhoto Albums to computer? plasmo iPad Apps 1 Aug 20, 2012 02:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC