Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hello again all, just a simple quick question for y'all. I have an original 300 MHz iBook G3 dual booting 10.3.9 and 9.2.1. I've recently bought an AirPort card for it so I can start using it on the go again. (Side note: I remember when these original cards were $50+. Just bought one on eBay for $8 with free shipping. How things change.) I've also been thinking about maxing the RAM, getting a bigger HDD and a new battery to make it really usable again. However, that will be a long ways off, as I don't have the money to spend on this just for fun. So for now, I need all the space and speed I can get.

I've got OS X on another two machines, so I don't really need it that badly, and Panther runs quite horribly on this 12 year old beast, not to mention takes up 2/3's of the 3 GB hard drive. I was wondering if it were possible to remove OS X and leave OS 9 intact? I have misplaced my install disks for it and I'm not certain I could find them again. Perhaps adding to the problem, IIRC there was more than one way to dual boot and frankly I haven't a clue how I did it at the time. (It originally had OS X when I bought it, I added OS 9 afterward) I'm pretty sure they would both be on different partitions, right? If so, how would I go about getting rid of the OS X one? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.

- Cassie

G5 Mac Daddy

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2012
Hello again all, just a simple quick question for y'all. I have an original 300 MHz iBook G3 dual booting 10.3.9 and 9.2.1. I've recently bought an AirPort card for it so I can start using it on the go again. (Side note: I remember when these original cards were $50+. Just bought one on eBay for $8 with free shipping. How things change.) I've also been thinking about maxing the RAM, getting a bigger HDD and a new battery to make it really usable again. However, that will be a long ways off, as I don't have the money to spend on this just for fun. So for now, I need all the space and speed I can get.

I've got OS X on another two machines, so I don't really need it that badly, and Panther runs quite horribly on this 12 year old beast, not to mention takes up 2/3's of the 3 GB hard drive. I was wondering if it were possible to remove OS X and leave OS 9 intact? I have misplaced my install disks for it and I'm not certain I could find them again. Perhaps adding to the problem, IIRC there was more than one way to dual boot and frankly I haven't a clue how I did it at the time. (It originally had OS X when I bought it, I added OS 9 afterward) I'm pretty sure they would both be on different partitions, right? If so, how would I go about getting rid of the OS X one? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.

- Cassie

G3 clamshell ibook's are sexy beasts.

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
As far as I know, the system folders for 9 and X are totally separate, so I suppose you could just trash one. Just be aware that your Airport card will be limited to WEP security in OS 9, no WPA.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
There has never been a cooler looking laptop, and there probably never will be. :D

I remember them from high school, they were SUPER dated already by the time i was in high school ( graduated 07 ). But I nabbed a few when they threw them away, I think I still have an orange one somewhere.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt anything to indeed just delete everything OS X on the hard drive from within OS 9. It's all on the same partition I believe, don't know if that would mean anything though.

I've actually now got a bigger problem at the moment though. I installed some apps earlier today (WordPerfect, iTunes and MSN Messenger) and when I restarted after they were all installed, It just boots to the folder with the finder logo on it and flashes with a question mark. I can't get it to boot to OS X either, did these apps mess with the system files or something?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt anything to indeed just delete everything OS X on the hard drive from within OS 9. It's all on the same partition I believe, don't know if that would mean anything though.

I've actually now got a bigger problem at the moment though. I installed some apps earlier today (WordPerfect, iTunes and MSN Messenger) and when I restarted after they were all installed, It just boots to the folder with the finder logo on it and flashes with a question mark. I can't get it to boot to OS X either, did these apps mess with the system files or something?

Dead HDD or corrupted file system..drive not bootable..

It's time to source a another IDE drive, and re-install

or you could just send it to me since your tired of messing with it :D i'm sure my wife would just love it if I spent more money on an old computer

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Actually, for some reason when I got back home last night it booted into both OS's just fine and has been working since. But it does sound like that hard drive may be on its last leg. I'm not sure I'm up to the task of replacing it though, IIRC you pretty much had to take the whole thing apart to get to it.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Actually, for some reason when I got back home last night it booted into both OS's just fine and has been working since. But it does sound like that hard drive may be on its last leg. I'm not sure I'm up to the task of replacing it though, IIRC you pretty much had to take the whole thing apart to get to it.

Okay, I have a clamshell iBook ( :) ) and all you have to do is boot from OS 9, and drag the little drive that comes up as your... um... hard drive... (Macintosh HD in most Macs)? Onto a flash drive. Restart and hold down the option key to boot from the flash drive, and then run the Drive Setup to erase your hard drive. Drag the contents of your flash drive back onto your hard drive and then your Mac will only have OS 9.

UPDATE: Sorry, instead drag the System Folder for OS 9, the Mac OS 9 Applications, and whatever documents you want to save onto your flash drive. If something messes up, you can always download Mac OS 9 from:

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/US/Macintosh/System/

Last edited:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well, it hasn't had a single problem since that one night - No flashing folder, no bootup issues of any kind. So I guess it was just one of those odd one time things. On a side note, my AP card finally came today, and she's doing the internet like a champ. :) I'm making this post from it right now, Classilla is a godsend for OS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.