Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1
SkyBell
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Removing OS X from iBook G3

Hello again all, just a simple quick question for y'all. I have an original 300 MHz iBook G3 dual booting 10.3.9 and 9.2.1. I've recently bought an AirPort card for it so I can start using it on the go again. (Side note: I remember when these original cards were $50+. Just bought one on eBay for $8 with free shipping. How things change.) I've also been thinking about maxing the RAM, getting a bigger HDD and a new battery to make it really usable again. However, that will be a long ways off, as I don't have the money to spend on this just for fun. So for now, I need all the space and speed I can get.

I've got OS X on another two machines, so I don't really need it that badly, and Panther runs quite horribly on this 12 year old beast, not to mention takes up 2/3's of the 3 GB hard drive. I was wondering if it were possible to remove OS X and leave OS 9 intact? I have misplaced my install disks for it and I'm not certain I could find them again. Perhaps adding to the problem, IIRC there was more than one way to dual boot and frankly I haven't a clue how I did it at the time. (It originally had OS X when I bought it, I added OS 9 afterward) I'm pretty sure they would both be on different partitions, right? If so, how would I go about getting rid of the OS X one? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.

- Cassie
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.4.11
iBook G4, iBook G3 (x2) iMac G3 (x2, Gone )
Black MacBook C2D 2.2 GHz - 10.6.8 / Windows 7
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2
G5 Mac Daddy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Hello again all, just a simple quick question for y'all. I have an original 300 MHz iBook G3 dual booting 10.3.9 and 9.2.1. I've recently bought an AirPort card for it so I can start using it on the go again. (Side note: I remember when these original cards were $50+. Just bought one on eBay for $8 with free shipping. How things change.) I've also been thinking about maxing the RAM, getting a bigger HDD and a new battery to make it really usable again. However, that will be a long ways off, as I don't have the money to spend on this just for fun. So for now, I need all the space and speed I can get.

I've got OS X on another two machines, so I don't really need it that badly, and Panther runs quite horribly on this 12 year old beast, not to mention takes up 2/3's of the 3 GB hard drive. I was wondering if it were possible to remove OS X and leave OS 9 intact? I have misplaced my install disks for it and I'm not certain I could find them again. Perhaps adding to the problem, IIRC there was more than one way to dual boot and frankly I haven't a clue how I did it at the time. (It originally had OS X when I bought it, I added OS 9 afterward) I'm pretty sure they would both be on different partitions, right? If so, how would I go about getting rid of the OS X one? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you.

- Cassie

G3 clamshell ibook's are sexy beasts.
G5 Mac Daddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:59 PM   #3
SkyBell
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5 Mac Daddy View Post
G3 clamshell ibook's are sexy beasts.
There has never been a cooler looking laptop, and there probably never will be.
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.4.11
iBook G4, iBook G3 (x2) iMac G3 (x2, Gone )
Black MacBook C2D 2.2 GHz - 10.6.8 / Windows 7
SkyBell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
MacinDan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
As far as I know, the system folders for 9 and X are totally separate, so I suppose you could just trash one. Just be aware that your Airport card will be limited to WEP security in OS 9, no WPA.
__________________
Macintosh 8 MHz 128k RAM
Powermac G4 500 MHz 80GB 896MB RAM
http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/
MacinDan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
There has never been a cooler looking laptop, and there probably never will be.
I remember them from high school, they were SUPER dated already by the time i was in high school ( graduated 07 ). But I nabbed a few when they threw them away, I think I still have an orange one somewhere.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
SkyBell
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt anything to indeed just delete everything OS X on the hard drive from within OS 9. It's all on the same partition I believe, don't know if that would mean anything though.

I've actually now got a bigger problem at the moment though. I installed some apps earlier today (WordPerfect, iTunes and MSN Messenger) and when I restarted after they were all installed, It just boots to the folder with the finder logo on it and flashes with a question mark. I can't get it to boot to OS X either, did these apps mess with the system files or something?
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.4.11
iBook G4, iBook G3 (x2) iMac G3 (x2, Gone )
Black MacBook C2D 2.2 GHz - 10.6.8 / Windows 7
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Hmm, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt anything to indeed just delete everything OS X on the hard drive from within OS 9. It's all on the same partition I believe, don't know if that would mean anything though.

I've actually now got a bigger problem at the moment though. I installed some apps earlier today (WordPerfect, iTunes and MSN Messenger) and when I restarted after they were all installed, It just boots to the folder with the finder logo on it and flashes with a question mark. I can't get it to boot to OS X either, did these apps mess with the system files or something?
Dead HDD or corrupted file system..drive not bootable..

It's time to source a another IDE drive, and re-install

or you could just send it to me since your tired of messing with it i'm sure my wife would just love it if I spent more money on an old computer
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8
SkyBell
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Actually, for some reason when I got back home last night it booted into both OS's just fine and has been working since. But it does sound like that hard drive may be on its last leg. I'm not sure I'm up to the task of replacing it though, IIRC you pretty much had to take the whole thing apart to get to it.
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.4.11
iBook G4, iBook G3 (x2) iMac G3 (x2, Gone )
Black MacBook C2D 2.2 GHz - 10.6.8 / Windows 7
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Ariii
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Actually, for some reason when I got back home last night it booted into both OS's just fine and has been working since. But it does sound like that hard drive may be on its last leg. I'm not sure I'm up to the task of replacing it though, IIRC you pretty much had to take the whole thing apart to get to it.
Okay, I have a clamshell iBook ( ) and all you have to do is boot from OS 9, and drag the little drive that comes up as your... um... hard drive... (Macintosh HD in most Macs)? Onto a flash drive. Restart and hold down the option key to boot from the flash drive, and then run the Drive Setup to erase your hard drive. Drag the contents of your flash drive back onto your hard drive and then your Mac will only have OS 9.

UPDATE: Sorry, instead drag the System Folder for OS 9, the Mac OS 9 Applications, and whatever documents you want to save onto your flash drive. If something messes up, you can always download Mac OS 9 from:

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/US/Macintosh/System/
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr

Last edited by Ariii; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:34 PM   #10
SkyBell
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Well, it hasn't had a single problem since that one night - No flashing folder, no bootup issues of any kind. So I guess it was just one of those odd one time things. On a side note, my AP card finally came today, and she's doing the internet like a champ. I'm making this post from it right now, Classilla is a godsend for OS 9.
SkyBell is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC