Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I know this is a controversial topic, but I would really like the input of designers as to why I should pay a specific designer instead of a group of online designers. (I won't name any sites)

I understand the money aspect, in which it takes away from the money of the design community, but from my perspective I save money, and I'm just starting a business and can't afford to pay a huge amount for a design I'm not certain to like.

I plan on paying $700 to get a design input from over 150 designers on a site.

With such wide range, I am almost guaranteed to get a design I like.

If I pick a specific designer, I might only be charged lets say $300-$400, but I wouldn't have nearly as much choices, I might not like the design, and I would lose my deposit if I don't end up picking that design. (most designers ask for a deposit percentage)

Can designers please give me some input on this? I would be happy to help support the designer industry but I see it as such a huge disadvantage to me in terms of end product.

I'm all ears though.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Don't you have a friend/relative who has Photoshop on their computer that can do it for free? :)

Seriously if you hire a specific designer, you will get something you like. After all you can look at the specifics designers portfolio/website and decide if you like his or her style. You will have a person you can talk to and describe what you are after. You will have something that will suit your business and your clients much better.

The difference is like buying food from a supermarket vs. buying fresh food from a farmer. The supermarket has a much wider selection than the farmer, but the farmers food will taste better and be more healthy than anything from the supermarket.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Which does the military prefer, carpet bombing or laser guided smart weapons?

Drop lots of bombs from 40,000 feet and one might hit, but the wind, navigation error, or many other things could mean they are all miles off target.

Chose the right smart weapon and the results will be as good as your aim with the laser.

Talk to several designers, work with the one that appears most promising, and give them good information on what you want. That is the best chance of success.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
In the end you're only getting one design. If 150 low-quality designers give you options, you're still only going to get one low-quality design.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
That's the thing though, the fact that I place a $700 reward attracts some of the best designers of the site. I've reviewed many projects and some designs are actually very well done. (to my taste, which I'd say is decent haha)

But I'll look into some designer portfolios and see what I can do with that. Would a professional designer charge me less than $700?

EDIT: Should I look in the forums and start asking designers for portfolios, or post more or less what I'm looking for with my reward price and wait for designers to contact me with either samples or their portfolio?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
You get what you pay for. I can't imagine many quality designers using a site like that.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
And then they'll use the logo-mark, they made for you, for other people looking for a cheap logo.

Not exactly.. I'd have specific guidelines and am looking to incorporate my company name in the logo.

If you can help me by telling me how exactly I should look for designers, I would appreciate it though.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
As others have stated you'll get MUCH better results from an individual designer verses a design site. You really really do get what you pay for, and if you go cheap, it'll show and will be reflected in your business.

I know you think you've seen good logos on these sites, but in reality its rare to find a truly good logo on sites like this. Professional designers usually don't use sites like this.

Think of it this way, would you rather have a ton of inexperienced college kids create a logo that is reflecting your business and is seen by your customers (which is what happens on these sites), or would you rather hire a professional who knows how to take the time to custom tailor a logo to your business? (Mind you, you will get a LOT of samples from one designer, they don't just make one logo and give it to you).

I say go with a single individual, not as a graphic designer (which I am not) but as someone who has had several friends who started businesses, every single one went the cheap route, got something they thought looked good, only to realize it was a poor design later down the road and had to pay a professional to redo everything for them. Not only does this cost more money in the end but its confusing to customers when a logo changes.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
As others have stated you'll get MUCH better results from an individual designer verses a design site. You really really do get what you pay for, and if you go cheap, it'll show and will be reflected in your business.

I know you think you've seen good logos on these sites, but in reality its rare to find a truly good logo on sites like this. Professional designers usually don't use sites like this.

Think of it this way, would you rather have a ton of inexperienced college kids create a logo that is reflecting your business and is seen by your customers (which is what happens on these sites), or would you rather hire a professional who knows how to take the time to custom tailor a logo to your business? (Mind you, you will get a LOT of samples from one designer, they don't just make one logo and give it to you).

I say go with a single individual, not as a graphic designer (which I am not) but as someone who has had several friends who started businesses, every single one went the cheap route, got something they thought looked good, only to realize it was a poor design later down the road and had to pay a professional to redo everything for them. Not only does this cost more money in the end but its confusing to customers when a logo changes.

How would I go about finding a graphic designer?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
How would I go about finding a graphic designer?

Established ones will often appear in local business directories. Being able to communicate face-to-face is a huge benefit in getting your requirements across clearly, and in choosing the right person, so stay local if you can.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Not exactly.. I'd have specific guidelines and am looking to incorporate my company name in the logo.

If you can help me by telling me how exactly I should look for designers, I would appreciate it though.

I understand that you'll have specific guidelines to ensure that your design is unique. However, as a designer who checked out these sites I can tell you that you are right that $700 will attract a lot of designers, but many of these designers who work hard on these sites to make money will blanket these sites with design after design using stock vectors and spend as little time designing as possible (time=money so it's less about the individual design to them and more about how many they can churn out in an hour). So while you may pick one that looks good there's a good chance that elements from that design have already been used 100 times over for other clients. Also, out of those hundreds of designs there will only be a hand full that will A) meet your guidelines and B) are well designed. A good designer will give you a hand full of options and multiple variations before settling so that perceived "value in bulk" is not very relevant.

I do understand you feel that with your guidelines things will be different, but trust me when I say that you will get better value for your $700 if you find a good local designer who is specifically catering to your design needs. It's like buying a tailored suit verses buying off the rack, but in this case they're the same price. For me the tailored suit will win every time. Good luck!

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
That's the thing though, the fact that I place a $700 reward attracts some of the best designers of the site. I've reviewed many projects and some designs are actually very well done. (to my taste, which I'd say is decent haha)

But I'll look into some designer portfolios and see what I can do with that. Would a professional designer charge me less than $700?

EDIT: Should I look in the forums and start asking designers for portfolios, or post more or less what I'm looking for with my reward price and wait for designers to contact me with either samples or their portfolio?

Have any of those designers created internationally recognizable logos? Or even nationally recognizable?

Unless you are a graphic designer, no offense, but you are not qualified to appropriately judge the quality of a logo. You will think you have received a great logo in the end and won't know any better.

I highly suggest you read this article:

http://www.logodesignlove.com/cheap-logo-services

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Which does the military prefer, carpet bombing or laser guided smart weapons?

Before design I was in the Air Force, ironically carpet bombing was the choice because it was cheaper as well :cool:

@OP the crowdcsouring sites do have their place, though I am not a fan I would ask the question regarding the purposing of the design. Is it one off of continuing work?

If it's one off then you *might* get lucky with crowdsourcing, however I'd strike up a working relationship with a good designer. I'd suggest checking a few portfolios then go from there because for long term design and branding it will be worth it in the long term having someone who can help you build up the branding.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Can you imagine working in an office and having your boss say, "I want you to write up a proposal. I'm having ten other people write up the same proposal and I'm only going to pay the person who's proposal I choose."

Is that how you'd like to work?

If not, why would you ask others to work that way?

There are some ethics involved here.

Just because you can dangle a coin and make the monkey dance, doesn't mean that you should.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Ok, I decided I'm going to look for a local graphic designer to help me.

I have just one problem at this point: I have no idea where to start looking. :confused:

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I have just one problem at this point: I have no idea where to start looking. :confused:

Google "graphic design + your locality" or "ad agency + your locality"

Then look through the online portfolios that any good one should have available.

Oh, and thank you for not making the monkey dance. :)

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Google "graphic design + your locality" or "ad agency + your locality"

Then look through the online portfolios that any good one should have available.

Oh, and thank you for not making the monkey dance. :)

I typed "google logo design miami" and "google graphic design miami" with nothing promising. Went through a few pages of google.

I feel like everyone ends up just picking the monkey dancing because it's so simple, stress-free and the best part is that you have a 100% money back guarantee if you don't like any of them.

Seems like no specific person wants my $500+ to make me a professional design. :(

Anyone have experience with doing designs through internet?

Can they recommend me anyone? (link to portfolio?)

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
crowdsourcing websites are more of a headache in the long run than anything else. majority of the so called designers there don't know anything about print production or design in general. when you get files in jpeg or psd format and can't do anything with them aside from the original task you paid for, or when you realize that the logo designed for your company is nothing more than some free clip art from the web with default system font, that's when you know it's time to hire someone local.

es-cal-a-tor

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Im a professional designer

Im a professional graphic designer and photographer. My website is http://www.fearghal.co.uk.

Feel free to drop me an email with your requirements and we can chat about it further so that I can understand what you want, I'll give you a quote and we can take it from there. mail (@) fearghal (.) co (.) uk

I've only read a few posts here and most of them are true. No descent designer would use one of those crowd sourcing sites. Rather than just rattling out a design to suit your requests, good graphic designers will advise you on specific things, highlight problems with your brief, and actually help you figure out what you want. Importantly, make suggestions and ask questions. You should think of it as an investment up front. Invest in a good brand, get it right the first time and start your company off on a good footing.

A good brand will last you for ever.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Thanks for sharing that link. I'm a Web Developer. My expertise is mostly on the code and technicalia end of things, but I do a bit of design as well and I've often wondered how these design mob sites fared.

If you read through the article though, you'll notice that even though they're saying the design you get is subpar, they do think there's a place for it and I'd have to agree. Not everyone is able to make proper use of a strong brand and a lot of these tiny businesses won't be around in a couple of years anyway. The ones that succeed, could redo their logo later on if they survive.

That's not to say you don't wan't to do things right the first time, but if you've got a very limited amount of money to spend and you have to spread it out wisely, a mob design option might be your best choice.

Similarly in my Web development world, I sometimes tell struggling new business owners not to hire me and to pay for some inexpensive do-it-yourself drag and drop online-design Web package and just hack something together. Sometimes, what they come up with is good enough even if it's not very inspired. Also, some of these people need to fail first before they're ready for me. A new business owner's first website is often a train wreck, but it's a great exercise for them to go through so they have a better appreciation for what I do and their failed attempts often help me understand what they need and how I can best help them.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. I'd say the most important reason to hire your own designer is for the long term relationship. If you find the right person who gets to know your needs and what you like, it'll save you a ton of time over the course of that relationship. You do not want to go through what amounts to a hiring process each time you need something done... and as many other people have already said, you're not likely to find great designers willing to work this way. You might get lucky and catch a good one who's just passing through the mob design jungle as a step in his or her development, but anyone who's really good is not going to be there for long.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for sharing that link. I'm a Web Developer. My expertise is mostly on the code and technicalia end of things, but I do a bit of design as well and I've often wondered how these design mob sites fared.

If you read through the article though, you'll notice that even though they're saying the design you get is subpar, they do think there's a place for it and I'd have to agree. Not everyone is able to make proper use of a strong brand and a lot of these tiny businesses won't be around in a couple of years anyway. The ones that succeed, could redo their logo later on if they survive.

That's not to say you don't wan't to do things right the first time, but if you've got a very limited amount of money to spend and you have to spread it out wisely, a mob design option might be your best choice.

Similarly in my Web development world, I sometimes tell struggling new business owners not to hire me and to pay for some inexpensive do-it-yourself drag and drop online-design Web package and just hack something together. Sometimes, what they come up with is good enough even if it's not very inspired. Also, some of these people need to fail first before they're ready for me. A new business owner's first website is often a train wreck, but it's a great exercise for them to go through so they have a better appreciation for what I do and their failed attempts often help me understand what they need and how I can best help them.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. I'd say the most important reason to hire your own designer is for the long term relationship. If you find the right person who gets to know your needs and what you like, it'll save you a ton of time over the course of that relationship. You do not want to go through what amounts to a hiring process each time you need something done... and as many other people have already said, you're not likely to find great designers willing to work this way. You might get lucky and catch a good one who's just passing through the mob design jungle as a step in his or her development, but anyone who's really good is not going to be there for long.

I agree, there is a place for this type of design. This is how the world works. There is always a market and a place for low quality work, medium quality work and high quality work. Same thing applies in any field.

It really depends on the company you are trying to start. Some companies will need very strong branding to survive or compete. Others could do just fine to grow their business with a simple logo and providing their customers with quality service. There are many successful businesses with branding that is way lower quality than what you would get from one of these mob sites even.

One of the problems with someone who isn't a designer using this service is that they would not necessarily know the right questions to ask and right modifications to make to the logo. In the end they may settle for a logo which they absolutely love, but which won't work well for their business and their customers might not even like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.