Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1
adddictedtomac
Banned

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver with THREE SCREENS possible?

I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz with two graphics cards (AGP GeForce2 MX and a PCI card, not sure which) as you can see on this video.

http://youtu.be/F0zUEFz4i4Q

I want to add a third PCI Card for a third screen (for a special project I have in mind). Before I start looking around to purchase on eBay, I would like to know if it is possible for the system to support and recognize a third Graphics card and also recognize the drivers for it. I guess if it's workable, it should be another PCI card. Would it work on Mac OS X 10.4 or Mac OS X 10.5? How about Mac OS 9?

Has anyone done this? Any recomendations will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
adddictedtomac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:29 AM   #2
666sheep
macrumors 68030

It works in OS X and OS 9. You can have as many card as you have slots.
Read for details: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-monitors.html
666sheep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
zen.state
Banned

It would be possible to have as many as 10 if you wanted. A Quicksilver has 1x AGP and 4x PCI slots so you simply would need a dual monitor AGP card and 4x dual monitor PCI video cards.

The best way to get 3 IMO is a Radeon 9800 in the AGP slot to power your 2 most important screens then just get a Geforce 5200 PCI and flash it with a Mac ROM. That way you get Core Image and Quartz Extreme on all 3.

A flashed Geforce 5200 is the only way that I know of to get Core GPU technologies in OS X to run on PCI video.
zen.state is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
SuperJudge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen.state View Post
It would be possible to have as many as 10 if you wanted. A Quicksilver has 1x AGP and 4x PCI slots so you simply would need a dual monitor AGP card and 4x dual monitor PCI video cards.

The best way to get 3 IMO is a Radeon 9800 in the AGP slot to power your 2 most important screens then just get a Geforce 5200 PCI and flash it with a Mac ROM. That way you get Core Image and Quartz Extreme on all 3.

A flashed Geforce 5200 is the only way that I know of to get Core GPU technologies in OS X to run on PCI video.
Back in 2007/2008 I was running a pair of FX5200s (one PCI and one AGP) in my Quicksilver to great effect, driving 4 1280x1024 monitors. The only way I could really tell which ones were PCI was when running Flash videos. It's a configuration I can thoroughly recommend from first hand experience.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:52 AM   #5
adddictedtomac
Banned

Thanks everyone, I will give it a try.

By the way, is Mac OS 9 stable with multi screens?
adddictedtomac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs