Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Jutah
macrumors newbie

iPad 3 and (best) screen protector

Hi Guys,
this is my very first post

I've recently purchased an iPad 3 and i'm wondering what's the best film protector that does not reduce the overall quality of the new amazing display. I'd like to have a protector that keep the resolution as sharp as the naked screen.

My experience with the iPhone 4 & 4S is that the screen is very very delicate; even if you use your best care, it develops some micro-scratches, visibile under the sun when the screen is turned off.

Many thanks for your suggestion!

ps: I had a "Best Skin Ever" on my old iPad2, but it wasn't nothing special...

Last edited by Jutah; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Jutah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
jdcell100
macrumors regular

I just had zagg hd put on my ipad3 yesterday at best buy. My advice would be pay the geek squad 15 bucks to put it on It came out perfect. Not one bubble I have tried to put zagg protecters on my other iPads came out ok but not as good as geek squad pulse they give u a 30 warranty if u don't like it they'll redo it for free. Zagg is by far bet screen protecter out thre
jdcell100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Jutah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcell100 View Post
I just had zagg hd put on my ipad3 yesterday at best buy. My advice would be pay the geek squad 15 bucks to put it on It came out perfect. Not one bubble I have tried to put zagg protecters on my other iPads came out ok but not as good as geek squad pulse they give u a 30 warranty if u don't like it they'll redo it for free. Zagg is by far bet screen protecter out thre
Hi jd thanks for the answer.
I live in the other side of the world so i cannot rely upon the geek squad

However, did u notice a reduction in the brightness/sharpness of the screen?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Bheleu
macrumors 6502

Sometime in April...

http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-...es-coming-soon
With the amazing Retina Display of The new iPad, protecting the surface of your new iPad is critical. SPIGEN SGP GLAS.t is made to protect the LCD from damage and scratches with specially processed glass that has been reinforced to increase shock absorbency. The entire surface of the*GLAS*t is transparent and the back side is covered with a strong silicon adhesive for easy installation. When installed, there are no gaps between the LCD and the*GLAS*t, which means the touch screen's sensitivity is unaffected.
Whole Transparency
The GLAS.t is 0.4mm thick and made with chemically treated, transparent tempered glass.
Surface hardness : 8~9H
The surface of the*GLAS.t has a hardness of 8-9H, three times stronger than regular PET film. Even shard objects such as knives and keys will not scratch the*GLAS*t.
Oleophobic Coating
The GLAS.t has an oleophobic coating that prevents fingerprints and other contaminants and makes the film easy to clean.
Delicate Touch
The*GLAS.t is coated on the back with a strong silicon adhesive that makes installation easy and attaches the film firmly so as to not affect the touch screen's sensitivity.
Anti-Shatter Film
If broken, the*GLAS.t breaks into small pieces that are not sharp, making it safer than other glass products.
$70
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/...red-glass.html

Last edited by Bheleu; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Bheleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:16 AM   #5
daneoni
macrumors G4

I use powersupport crystal.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
dread
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcell100 View Post
I think zagg is the worst. It's sticky and has an orange peel effect. The best by far is power support followed by sgp and then the rest.
dread is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Bheleu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread View Post
I think zagg is the worst. It's sticky and has an orange peel effect. The best by far is power support followed by sgp and then the rest.
If you can get a dust free install the GLASt would be the best, but the size of an iPad and the fact that it's a one time install only makes me think that is a big if given the cost.
Bheleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

I put on the SGP super crystal for the retina screen. I like it a lot.
kobyh15 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Stouver
macrumors member

As stated in the other thread, Ghost Armor.
Stouver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
iMaven
macrumors 6502

None, because I had Zagg on my other iPad and didn't realize how much I was missing out by not having one. I opted for Applecare+ instead.
iMaven is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
nlkccom
macrumors 6502

Used Power Support Crystal on my iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen. Love it!
nlkccom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Jutah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaven View Post
None, because I had Zagg on my other iPad and didn't realize how much I was missing out by not having one. I opted for Applecare+ instead.
That's my doubt.
Now i'm using the nude-look ipad i'm really excited about the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom View Post
Used Power Support Crystal on my iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen. Love it!
Did you notice an alteration in the sharpness/brightness before/after the application in the ipad3?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #13
nlkccom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutah View Post
That's my doubt.
Now i'm using the nude-look ipad i'm really excited about the display.

Did you notice an alteration in the sharpness/brightness before/after the application in the ipad3?
I used the iPad san screen protector for the first few days while waiting for the screen protector to arrive. I didn't notice any difference in sharpness/brightness after I put on the screen protector.
nlkccom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

I bought a 3 pack of generics on Amazon for something like $5 shipped (I have Prime). It's crystal clear and wouldn't even know it was on unless I told you. Spending more is just silly.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
tacomahunter
macrumors regular

I have been putting Radtech clear on all my iPads and never looked back! Looks amazing.....
11-25-12: MBA 1.8 Ghz 8mg Ram 256 SSD Speedster
tacomahunter is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
fat jez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I use powersupport crystal.
Same here. My iPad 2 had a Power Support Anti Glare, but I didn't want to wait for a new version designed for the retina display. You wouldn't know it was there and unlike the cheaper protectors, it doesn't scratch easily.
fat jez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:42 PM   #17
takeshi74
macrumors 601

See all prior screen protector threads. There are plenty of ones to choose from that would suit the OP including Power Support & SGP.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:01 PM   #18
MortalDays
macrumors regular

PowerSupport all the way and their customer service is top notch.

SGP has very bad customer service and you may not receive your product for at least THREE weeks.
MortalDays is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #19
fongyuen
macrumors 6502

for those who have the powersupport film, can you give a link to it on amazon? there's seems to be several. also, does the ~$30 or so you pay only give you one film? or does it come with two? ok, thanks.
fongyuen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #20
fat jez
macrumors 65816

It comes with one. I won't link, since I'm in the UK and that won't be much help to you.
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 PM   #21
Kry0s
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheleu View Post
http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-...es-coming-soon
With the amazing Retina Display of The new iPad, protecting the surface of your new iPad is critical. SPIGEN SGP GLAS.t is made to protect the LCD from damage and scratches with specially processed glass that has been reinforced to increase shock absorbency. The entire surface of the*GLAS*t is transparent and the back side is covered with a strong silicon adhesive for easy installation. When installed, there are no gaps between the LCD and the*GLAS*t, which means the touch screen's sensitivity is unaffected.
Whole Transparency
The GLAS.t is 0.4mm thick and made with chemically treated, transparent tempered glass.
Surface hardness : 8~9H
The surface of the*GLAS.t has a hardness of 8-9H, three times stronger than regular PET film. Even shard objects such as knives and keys will not scratch the*GLAS*t.
Oleophobic Coating
The GLAS.t has an oleophobic coating that prevents fingerprints and other contaminants and makes the film easy to clean.
Delicate Touch
The*GLAS.t is coated on the back with a strong silicon adhesive that makes installation easy and attaches the film firmly so as to not affect the touch screen's sensitivity.
Anti-Shatter Film
If broken, the*GLAS.t breaks into small pieces that are not sharp, making it safer than other glass products.
$70
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/...red-glass.html

I was going to try this until I saw the price and found out I had only one shot to get it on without dust etc.

I've been waiting for the SGP Ultra Optics to be released (Amazon has a release date of April 3rd) but after hearing how bad SGP is with shipping and support. I'm beginning to rethink my choice.
Kry0s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:22 PM   #22
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouver View Post
As stated in the other thread, Ghost Armor.
Same here. I have a kiosk here by my house and they did my iPad 2 my iPhone and now my new iPad. No problems what so ever.
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3

Last edited by puckhead193; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: going on MR tipsy isn't a good idea :p
puckhead193 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
kvizzel
macrumors 6502a

are they crazy 70$???
kvizzel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:16 AM   #24
asleep
macrumors 68020

Power Support, if you must.
asleep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:34 AM   #25
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyh15
I put on the SGP super crystal for the retina screen. I like it a lot.
This. Get this. You won't be disappointed. I love mine. It's probably the best screen protector I've ever had in any device.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories