Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Jutah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
iPad 3 and (best) screen protector

Hi Guys,
this is my very first post

I've recently purchased an iPad 3 and i'm wondering what's the best film protector that does not reduce the overall quality of the new amazing display. I'd like to have a protector that keep the resolution as sharp as the naked screen.

My experience with the iPhone 4 & 4S is that the screen is very very delicate; even if you use your best care, it develops some micro-scratches, visibile under the sun when the screen is turned off.

Many thanks for your suggestion!

ps: I had a "Best Skin Ever" on my old iPad2, but it wasn't nothing special...

Last edited by Jutah; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Jutah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
jdcell100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I just had zagg hd put on my ipad3 yesterday at best buy. My advice would be pay the geek squad 15 bucks to put it on It came out perfect. Not one bubble I have tried to put zagg protecters on my other iPads came out ok but not as good as geek squad pulse they give u a 30 warranty if u don't like it they'll redo it for free. Zagg is by far bet screen protecter out thre
jdcell100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Jutah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcell100 View Post
I just had zagg hd put on my ipad3 yesterday at best buy. My advice would be pay the geek squad 15 bucks to put it on It came out perfect. Not one bubble I have tried to put zagg protecters on my other iPads came out ok but not as good as geek squad pulse they give u a 30 warranty if u don't like it they'll redo it for free. Zagg is by far bet screen protecter out thre
Hi jd thanks for the answer.
I live in the other side of the world so i cannot rely upon the geek squad

However, did u notice a reduction in the brightness/sharpness of the screen?
Jutah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Bheleu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Sometime in April...

http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-...es-coming-soon
With the amazing Retina Display of The new iPad, protecting the surface of your new iPad is critical. SPIGEN SGP GLAS.t is made to protect the LCD from damage and scratches with specially processed glass that has been reinforced to increase shock absorbency. The entire surface of the*GLAS*t is transparent and the back side is covered with a strong silicon adhesive for easy installation. When installed, there are no gaps between the LCD and the*GLAS*t, which means the touch screen's sensitivity is unaffected.
*
Whole Transparency
The GLAS.t is 0.4mm thick and made with chemically treated, transparent tempered glass.
.
Surface hardness : 8~9H
The surface of the*GLAS.t has a hardness of 8-9H, three times stronger than regular PET film. Even shard objects such as knives and keys will not scratch the*GLAS*t.
.
Oleophobic Coating
The GLAS.t has an oleophobic coating that prevents fingerprints and other contaminants and makes the film easy to clean.
.
Delicate Touch
The*GLAS.t is coated on the back with a strong silicon adhesive that makes installation easy and attaches the film firmly so as to not affect the touch screen's sensitivity.
.
Anti-Shatter Film
If broken, the*GLAS.t breaks into small pieces that are not sharp, making it safer than other glass products.
.
$70
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/...red-glass.html

Last edited by Bheleu; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Bheleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:16 AM   #5
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I use powersupport crystal.
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
dread
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcell100 View Post
I just had zagg hd put on my ipad3 yesterday at best buy. My advice would be pay the geek squad 15 bucks to put it on It came out perfect. Not one bubble I have tried to put zagg protecters on my other iPads came out ok but not as good as geek squad pulse they give u a 30 warranty if u don't like it they'll redo it for free. Zagg is by far bet screen protecter out thre
I think zagg is the worst. It's sticky and has an orange peel effect. The best by far is power support followed by sgp and then the rest.
dread is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Bheleu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dread View Post
I think zagg is the worst. It's sticky and has an orange peel effect. The best by far is power support followed by sgp and then the rest.
If you can get a dust free install the GLASt would be the best, but the size of an iPad and the fact that it's a one time install only makes me think that is a big if given the cost.
Bheleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I put on the SGP super crystal for the retina screen. I like it a lot.
kobyh15 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Stouver
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
As stated in the other thread, Ghost Armor.
Stouver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
iMaven
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
None, because I had Zagg on my other iPad and didn't realize how much I was missing out by not having one. I opted for Applecare+ instead.
iMaven is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
nlkccom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Used Power Support Crystal on my iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen. Love it!
nlkccom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Jutah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaven View Post
None, because I had Zagg on my other iPad and didn't realize how much I was missing out by not having one. I opted for Applecare+ instead.
That's my doubt.
Now i'm using the nude-look ipad i'm really excited about the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom View Post
Used Power Support Crystal on my iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen. Love it!
Did you notice an alteration in the sharpness/brightness before/after the application in the ipad3?
Jutah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #13
nlkccom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutah View Post
That's my doubt.
Now i'm using the nude-look ipad i'm really excited about the display.



Did you notice an alteration in the sharpness/brightness before/after the application in the ipad3?
I used the iPad san screen protector for the first few days while waiting for the screen protector to arrive. I didn't notice any difference in sharpness/brightness after I put on the screen protector.
nlkccom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
I bought a 3 pack of generics on Amazon for something like $5 shipped (I have Prime). It's crystal clear and wouldn't even know it was on unless I told you. Spending more is just silly.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
tacomahunter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Colorado
I have been putting Radtech clear on all my iPads and never looked back! Looks amazing.....
__________________
12-20-08: Airport Extreme
04-03-10: 32 gig IPad added to the stable
04-02-11: MBP 2.2 GHz 8g Ram 500 Gig HD ROCKET
11-25-12: MBA 1.8 Ghz 8mg Ram 256 SSD Speedster
tacomahunter is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
fat jez
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I use powersupport crystal.
Same here. My iPad 2 had a Power Support Anti Glare, but I didn't want to wait for a new version designed for the retina display. You wouldn't know it was there and unlike the cheaper protectors, it doesn't scratch easily.
__________________
'11 MBP 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD 15" Anti-Glare screen OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5S 64GB
iPad Air 32GB
fat jez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:42 PM   #17
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
See all prior screen protector threads. There are plenty of ones to choose from that would suit the OP including Power Support & SGP.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:01 PM   #18
MortalDays
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
PowerSupport all the way and their customer service is top notch.

SGP has very bad customer service and you may not receive your product for at least THREE weeks.
MortalDays is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #19
fongyuen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
for those who have the powersupport film, can you give a link to it on amazon? there's seems to be several. also, does the ~$30 or so you pay only give you one film? or does it come with two? ok, thanks.
__________________
17" Penryn MBP (late 2008), 6 gb ram, 256 gb Crucial M4 SSD, hi-res glossy
iPhone 5 32gb black
13" Macbook Air (2013), 1.3 i5, 8gb ram, 256gb hdd
fongyuen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #20
fat jez
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, UK
It comes with one. I won't link, since I'm in the UK and that won't be much help to you.
__________________
'11 MBP 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD 15" Anti-Glare screen OS X 10.9.2
iPhone 5S 64GB
iPad Air 32GB
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:19 PM   #21
Kry0s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheleu View Post
http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-...es-coming-soon
With the amazing Retina Display of The new iPad, protecting the surface of your new iPad is critical. SPIGEN SGP GLAS.t is made to protect the LCD from damage and scratches with specially processed glass that has been reinforced to increase shock absorbency. The entire surface of the*GLAS*t is transparent and the back side is covered with a strong silicon adhesive for easy installation. When installed, there are no gaps between the LCD and the*GLAS*t, which means the touch screen's sensitivity is unaffected.
*
Whole Transparency
The GLAS.t is 0.4mm thick and made with chemically treated, transparent tempered glass.
.
Surface hardness : 8~9H
The surface of the*GLAS.t has a hardness of 8-9H, three times stronger than regular PET film. Even shard objects such as knives and keys will not scratch the*GLAS*t.
.
Oleophobic Coating
The GLAS.t has an oleophobic coating that prevents fingerprints and other contaminants and makes the film easy to clean.
.
Delicate Touch
The*GLAS.t is coated on the back with a strong silicon adhesive that makes installation easy and attaches the film firmly so as to not affect the touch screen's sensitivity.
.
Anti-Shatter Film
If broken, the*GLAS.t breaks into small pieces that are not sharp, making it safer than other glass products.
.
$70
http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/...red-glass.html

I was going to try this until I saw the price and found out I had only one shot to get it on without dust etc.


I've been waiting for the SGP Ultra Optics to be released (Amazon has a release date of April 3rd) but after hearing how bad SGP is with shipping and support. I'm beginning to rethink my choice.
Kry0s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:22 PM   #22
puckhead193
macrumors G3
 
puckhead193's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouver View Post
As stated in the other thread, Ghost Armor.
Same here. I have a kiosk here by my house and they did my iPad 2 my iPhone and now my new iPad. No problems what so ever.
__________________
nMP - 6 core, D700s, 32 gig, 1 TB, NEC PA272W
20" iMac C2D
17" MBP i7
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3

Last edited by puckhead193; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: going on MR tipsy isn't a good idea :p
puckhead193 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
kvizzel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
are they crazy 70$???
kvizzel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:16 AM   #24
asleep
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Power Support, if you must.
asleep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:34 AM   #25
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern CA
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyh15
I put on the SGP super crystal for the retina screen. I like it a lot.
This. Get this. You won't be disappointed. I love mine. It's probably the best screen protector I've ever had in any device.
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac (2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD) iPhone 5 (32 GB, Black) iPad mini (16 GB, Black, WiFi) Apple TV (2010)
Twitter | FourSquare
AnthonySmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: How many of you are getting or using a screen protector for your ipad? Ipadlover29 iPad Accessories 5 Nov 15, 2013 04:58 AM
iPad: iPad 3/4 - Which screen protector do you use? iSensei iPad 3 Dec 6, 2012 06:31 PM
iPad: Ipad screen protector? Steveo13 iPad 3 Dec 4, 2012 07:52 PM
Any of you not use a screen protector for your iPad? Boob iPad 39 Sep 30, 2012 05:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC