Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Pantomimehorse
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Installing SSD in Mac Pro

Hi

I've just won a Mac Pro on ebay, i want to install a SSD drive to replace the stock drive once it arrives. Im wondering if the mac is a SATA 1 or 2? I know if its were a 1 there would be issues using a SATA 3 SSD drive but find with a SATA 2 right?


the model number is A1186
Pantomimehorse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
strwrsfrk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arlington, VA, USA
You have a Mac Pro 3,1. It uses SATA 2.

Most OWC drives I've installed in models such as these reach about 180MB/s, or 350MB/s in RAID 0 (those numbers are approximate). Most HDDs I've installed see about 35 - 60MB/s. For that reason, an SSD is definitely worth it.

If you're going with new SSDs and price is not too much of an issue, I'd recommend these: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/O...ry_Electra_6G/. That way, if you ever upgrade to a machine with SATA 3, these will show their full potential. These drives supposedly have better RAID support: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/O...xtreme_Pro_6G/, but I've used the Electra drives before with no problems.

Do not forget an adapter: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/ This adapter will allow any 2.5" ssd (OWC or any other brand) to function seamlessly with the drive sleds in your Pro.

Good luck!
__________________
iPhone 5; iPod Touch; iPod Nano
rMBP 15", 2.7GHz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM
MacBook, 2.4GHz, 64GB SSD, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM
PC Custom, 4.2GHz 4770K, 16GB DDR3-2400, 1TB SSD, GTX 780
strwrsfrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Pantomimehorse
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
that's excellent thanks for your help, exactly what I needed to know
Pantomimehorse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by strwrsfrk View Post
You have a Mac Pro 3,1. It uses SATA 2.

Most OWC drives I've installed in models such as these reach about 180MB/s, or 350MB/s in RAID 0 (those numbers are approximate). Most HDDs I've installed see about 35 - 60MB/s. For that reason, an SSD is definitely worth it.

If you're going with new SSDs and price is not too much of an issue, I'd recommend these: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/O...ry_Electra_6G/. That way, if you ever upgrade to a machine with SATA 3, these will show their full potential. These drives supposedly have better RAID support: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/O...xtreme_Pro_6G/, but I've used the Electra drives before with no problems.

Do not forget an adapter: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/ This adapter will allow any 2.5" ssd (OWC or any other brand) to function seamlessly with the drive sleds in your Pro.

Good luck!
Does the 3,1 use some sub standard SATAII interface? I easily get up to 135-150MB/s with HDD (depending on manufacturer) and 250MB/s SSD r/w on SATAII no RAID0. Just wondering. I have a 3,1 at work with a new Caviar Black 1TB and it get's over 95MB/s. Your numbers seem super puny.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5
strwrsfrk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arlington, VA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbothaus View Post
Does the 3,1 use some sub standard SATAII interface? I easily get up to 135-150MB/s with HDD (depending on manufacturer) and 250MB/s SSD r/w on SATAII no RAID0. Just wondering. I have a 3,1 at work with a new Caviar Black 1TB and it get's over 95MB/s. Your numbers seem super puny.
I'm not that sure, to be honest. The benchmarks on the HDDs I've run are on original Apple 5400 RPM drives from 2008. So newer HDDs with better interfaces might be better.

Then again, I'm not getting anywhere near 250MB/s on the SSDs, and I'm using 6GB controllers on the OWC cards. Could be some settings somewhere. But since I've mostly just thrown the drives in to resell the Macs, I haven't really done much troubleshooting.

If I get another 3,1 and have some spare HDDs, maybe I'll run some tests.

But basically, the point stands: go SSD if you can afford it!
__________________
iPhone 5; iPod Touch; iPod Nano
rMBP 15", 2.7GHz, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM
MacBook, 2.4GHz, 64GB SSD, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM
PC Custom, 4.2GHz 4770K, 16GB DDR3-2400, 1TB SSD, GTX 780
strwrsfrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by strwrsfrk View Post

But basically, the point stands: go SSD if you can afford it!
Most definitely. Full bandwidth isn't even that important vs. the response times and 4K benefits SSD gets you. I was just curious on your numbers. 5400RPM makes more sense for me now. I always use 7200-10,000RPM for boot stuff. You may want to try plugging the SSD into a native SATAII link and test vs that 6G card. It may get better results. Elektra's are generally slower than the Mercury 6G I have but they should at least saturate SATAII at 260-280MB/s.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC