Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

BioShock 2 Arrives On the Mac App Store

Feral Interactive is serving up BioShock 2 to Mac users via the Mac App Store, two years after it arrived on the PC. It costs $30.99 on the Mac App Store, or via Feral directly. The game does include a multiplayer component as well.

Feral is dedicated to bringing major game titles to the Mac, and has taken to the Mac App Store in a big way. The company already sells a Mac version of BioShock 1, amongst a number of other titles.

Quote:
Welcome back to Rapture. Paradise reborn.

Deep within the ruined undersea city of Rapture, your beloved Little Sister, Eleanor, awaits your return. As her Big Daddy, you protected her from a world of insanely selfish adults, now you must shield her again from those who demand that everything must be shared.

Ten years after the events of BioShock, Rapture has fallen under the control of a collectivist cult who plan to transform Eleanor into a genetically-engineered messiah, who will put an end to individuality forever. To save her, you must deploy a unique combination of shooting, role-play and stealth as you rampage through Rapture's leaking halls to confront her captors.

Whether you choose to forgive those who threaten Eleanor or wreak vengeance upon them, remember, she is always watching and will follow your example.
Minimum system requirements for the game are a bit steep, unsurprisingly: Processor: 2.0 GHz, RAM: 4GB, Graphics: 256MB, Free Space: 10GB. The following graphics cards are not supported: ATI X1xxx series, ATI HD2xxx series, NVIDIA 9400, NVIDIA 7xxx series and Intel GMA series.

BioShock 2 is available for $30.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

BioShock 1 is also available for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: BioShock 2 Arrives On the Mac App Store
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

Yesterday news (really I saw it yesterday ^^).

Still great! (hoping for a refreshed Mac mini or iMac to fully enjoy it)

If only we could avoid waiting years for a port of the third Bioshock!
Torrijos is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
lilcosco08
macrumors 65816

Meh.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

never liked this on 360.
charlieegan3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Liddle
macrumors newbie

30$? Are you joking ?

Got both games for 10$ on Steam, i'm not saying they should sell it for 5$ but 30$ is way too expensive
Liddle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
ibanana
macrumors 6502

non event
below average game
ibanana is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddle View Post
30$? Are you joking ?

Got both games for 10$ on Steam, i'm not saying they should sell it for 5$ but 30$ is way too expensive
Was that both games for $10? Or each for $10.

You can't compare what you got at Steam for sale price and compare it to the standard price at the Mac App Store. When you do that, you over blow the proportional prices between both stores, which is unfair really. Right now both games sell for $19.99 each on Steam, roughly $10 cheaper than what sells currently in the Mac App store. Yea, $20 difference seems outrageous, but $10 seems like pretty much the standard price hike for Mac games. Please remember that developers run sales all the time on the Mac App store too, so it would be fair to compare prices when Feral decides to do that.

I do think however that, given the age of Bioshock 1, that now I think it is overpriced on the Mac App Store. I actually thought Feral would have dropped the price of it by now to commemorate the release of BS2. Oh well.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Getintothegame
macrumors newbie

I agree. I'd probably buy both if they were at $9.99 each, but man. This seems to be a poor business decision.

Personally, I think both games are great - a little violent, but one of the best games I've played in the past few years. Bioshock 1 is still the best of the two though.
Getintothegame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Fainer
macrumors member

These games are awesome! People who are "meh"ing them are either morons or never played them. They are too expensive though. Way too expensive.
Fainer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:21 PM   #10
JasonR
macrumors 6502a

When you consider that console titles are $50....$30 ain't bad.

I played the first bioshock on my 360 and really enjoyed. I rented the second one, but couldn't get into it as much. Maybe I should give it another shot...
JasonR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Why do we have to wait 2 years still!?!?!?!?!

Arrggghhh!!!!!!!!!
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
When you consider that console titles are $50....$30 ain't bad.

I played the first bioshock on my 360 and really enjoyed. I rented the second one, but couldn't get into it as much. Maybe I should give it another shot...
Sadly when it's a 2 year old game, one that in hindsight people have said wasn't really very good either, and one which can routinely be picked up for sub $10 on any other platform - it is bad.

Feral just took too long with this. If it was out within 3 months of PC title, fair enough. But they've missed the boat on this one.
MacRumorUser is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Liddle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Paid 5$ for each, and yeah it was %50 off. But still, it's a 2 years old game and as i appreciate the effort that Feral Inc., it shouldn't be 30$
Liddle is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
BioShock 2 is available for $30.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

How much? Much cheaper on Steam. For both games.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:09 PM   #15
JasonR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Sadly when it's a 2 year old game, one that in hindsight people have said wasn't really very good either, and one which can routinely be picked up for sub $10 on any other platform - it is bad.

Feral just took too long with this. If it was out within 3 months of PC title, fair enough. But they've missed the boat on this one.
Well, good point. I'd much rather play a game on my 52" TV than my 27" Display. lol

Wow...I just sounded like a fanboy. My TV is like 2.5 years old so don't get too excited.
JasonR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post

How much? Much cheaper on Steam. For both games.
For OSX?
Irishman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:21 PM   #17
jwhazel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic complaint
I paid less than half this for both games on steam.
Of course you did, because they were on sale at the time. Just like stuff on the Apple store tends to go on sale from time to time. Right now (today) there isn't much of a price difference between this and the steam version. Know what makes up for the extra $10? The fact that this version isn't ruined by GFWL

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...hecking_every/
jwhazel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #18
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

The Bio Shock series is awesome! Glad to see Mac get it! Hey, better late than never.

Now for Apple to spend some money in their piggy bank and begin developing video games! They know they want too...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:53 PM   #19
lilcosco08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fainer View Post
These games are awesome! People who are "meh"ing them are either morons or never played them. They are too expensive though. Way too expensive.
I'm "meh"ing them because I already have the cheaper version on steam. Like most people already do.

Also I don't want to play games on my MBP when I can run them on my vastly superior windows box.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:19 PM   #20
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcosco08 View Post
I'm "meh"ing them because I already have the cheaper version on steam. Like most people already do.

Also I don't want to play games on my MBP when I can run them on my vastly superior windows box.
I don't already have a cheaper version from Steam.

I don't run Windows.

I don't game on a "vasty superior Windows box".

Hmmmm, odd that I mistakenly thought we were on macrumors forums, talking about a Mac version of a game.

Weird.
Irishman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:50 PM   #21
striker33
macrumors 65816

$30?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Its like $5 used on consoles.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Penn Jennings
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

You can't compare what you got at Steam for sale price and compare it to the standard price at the Mac App Store. When you do that, you over blow the proportional prices between both stores, which is unfair really. Right now both games sell for $19.99 each on Steam, roughly $10 cheaper than what sells currently in the Mac App store. Yea, $20 difference seems outrageous, but $10 seems like pretty much the standard price hike for Mac games. Please remember that developers run sales all the time on the Mac App store too, so it would be fair to compare prices when Feral decides to do that.

I do think however that, given the age of Bioshock 1, that now I think it is overpriced on the Mac App Store. I actually thought Feral would have dropped the price of it by now to commemorate the release of BS2. Oh well.
There are 4 Macs in my household. When I purchase an app I can install it on all 4 systems. Does steam work the same way or would I have to purchase the game 4 times?
Penn Jennings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #23
fruitycups
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

1$ difference? Why?
fruitycups is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #24
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
never liked this on 360.
Played them on PC and they where fun, great graphics. I liked the story behind them which was actually interesting. Don't know bout 360 but on ps3 but for FPS console to me are not very good or fun. I find racing and side scrawling games to be great on console.

To bad console have become the norm and graphics have taken a dive in so many game franchise just to allow console to compete with desktops. Oh well $$ is what matters in the end.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:40 AM   #25
fruitycups
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Bioshockkkkkk all the way.
Love ge fact that the mac store is being used more and more. Such a good concept and well into adoption
fruitycups is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion